1997 C5 battery recommendations......

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
As it says really, can anyone recommend a side terminal battery for a 1997 C5 Corvette, if possible add the link as to where I can order one from please.

rubyragtop

Committee Member
Got an Exide battery from Euro Car Parts. Not the cheapest, but the best I have put on the Vette (2001) Leave for 2 weeks and turns over and fires first touch of the key

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
I bought an Optima Red Top around 10 years ago for our '02. Even though there are many reports of failures when the production moved to Mexico, my battery has been spot on, and yes it was made in Mexico. Everyone knows about the C5 parasitic battery drain so after two weeks I connect up a Numax battery maintainer and all good. Mine came from Battery Megastore.
Hope this helps.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Red Top for my C6 from Tayna. The say they are the cheapest and will match any price. Careful though, a battery might have/be advertised with one of several part/serial #s. With the 2nd one I bought from Tayna, the identical battery was cheaper on Ebay advertised with a different part/serial #. I called Tayna and they refunded the difference.

Also, on the 1st I ordered, the battery sat in a red plastic tray in the box. Thought that was packing material and was gonna throw it away. Not so, it fitted perfectly in the battery tray of the car, and stopped the battery moving around. On the 2nd one, it didn't have the plastic tray (?) so just (re)used the 1st one.

Last edited:

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Thanks guys for your help, I have gone for the 75-70 Numax side terminal car battery 12v 70ah which hopefully will be arriving by the end of the week.

Koolstude

CCCUK Member
Hope you don't mind me jumping on the back of your posting. I've just purchased a 086 type battery for my 2004 Corvette & it doesn't fit in the tray properly to get the clamp on. The terminal cover also foul within the recess' making it tricky to tighten the terminal clamps. Any recommendations for a suitable top terminal battery please?

Attachments

• 20190626_213600_resized.jpg
    20190626_213600_resized.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190626_213516_resized.jpg
    20190626_213516_resized.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190626_213528_resized.jpg
    20190626_213528_resized.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 11

Robert Craske

Well-known user
I know this is an old thread but to let other members know, I bought a new Numax and on one week after being 3 years old the battery failed. I had only used the battery for a couple of months on my Corvette and then kept it as a spare. I kept it in my house so at good room temperature and charged it up a once a month to keep it topped up. I also remember a friend who had Numax batteries on his boat and they didnt last very long , so i really dont recommend them.
I have always found the Varta blue and silver batteries to be good. 10 years on my last Varta silver on my Jeep.