2020 MY Mid Engine Corvette Release Date

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM finally tonight in public announces release date of July 18, 2019 to show world what C8 looks like
2020 M.Y will start being built late this year, Sticker claimed to be $60-70K

Head of GM Mary Barra, shows up in NY this evening riding on streets in a 2020 C8 to tip off C8 is real

nextgenvette.jpg

Release Info for C8

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I'm going to enjoy seeing some comments on social media from people moaning about the car as they are really picky about something or other. People always like to have a moan, especially when there is change.

Personally, I think it look great, and with it still being powered by a V8 then that is awesome too. However, I can't afford one, so I won't be looking into them much (it'd make me sad :( ). Look forward to hearing what the club members say about them when the first person gets one :)

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I'm afraid that I have said it before, but this, and all the other ME look-alike so-called super cars, do nothing for me at all. More disappointing than the release of the reveal date is the news that the final C7 will be auctioned as part of the event. That means no more "real" Corvettes? Zora was banging on about ME cars back in the 60s and even then Chevy realised it's not what Corvette was about. Fine to have a ME "halo car", but to let go of the traditional front engine rear drive Vette, with the associated luggage space, touring capability, and, much better looks, is a mistake. I'm still of the opinion that Corvette's "top Team" have listened to a small minority of owners who, as I know only too well, always talk a good talk about their driving ability and their need for a track car etc etc, when the majority of Corvette owners will never track their cars, rarely drive particularly fast, and are scared of cars with high HP. The number of fiascos with the C7 Z06 owing to lack of driver ability bears that out.

It's aacademic to me of course, as I couldn't afford one, even if I wanted one! The up-side is that all the "real" Corvettes will become classics, the C8 being just another ME exotic, rarely seen on this side of the Atlantic.

N

Norm

I will have to reserve comment until such time that I can actually touch one.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Well, Looks "Mega" to me. Bad news is it ain't gonna fit into my "dumb" single width/double length garage in a block of garages. C4, C5 (?) C6/C7 (non Z06) Yes. So even if I had the money, its a move house job or find somewhere else to garage it. Then again, if it's that good/gotta have one, could always move to a cheaper part of the country? :)

GM Social About C7 And C8 Corvette - LSX Magazine

Last edited:

PhilV8

CCCUK Member
I'm afraid that I have said it before, but this, and all the other ME look-alike so-called super cars, do nothing for me at all. More disappointing than the release of the reveal date is the news that the final C7 will be auctioned as part of the event. That means no more "real" Corvettes? Zora was banging on about ME cars back in the 60s and even then Chevy realised it's not what Corvette was about. Fine to have a ME "halo car", but to let go of the traditional front engine rear drive Vette, with the associated luggage space, touring capability, and, much better looks, is a mistake. I'm still of the opinion that Corvette's "top Team" have listened to a small minority of owners who, as I know only too well, always talk a good talk about their driving ability and their need for a track car etc etc, when the majority of Corvette owners will never track their cars, rarely drive particularly fast, and are scared of cars with high HP. The number of fiascos with the C7 Z06 owing to lack of driver ability bears that out.

It's aacademic to me of course, as I couldn't afford one, even if I wanted one! The up-side is that all the "real" Corvettes will become classics, the C8 being just another ME exotic, rarely seen on this side of the Atlantic.
Yes, I agree Stephen, it seems foolhardy to ditch the traditional Corvette layout before they've proven the ME version will be a big seller. The C8 as a Halo car would make more sense, but then again I'm not sure GM is interested in sense. Look at Cadillac, for years their mainstay was the 'senior citizen' then all of a sudden they decide they need to attract younger buyers. Fair enough, but why abandon your loyal customer's requirements in the process.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You have to keep in mind the factor that causes all this and that here in USA is the fricking EPA. :(
Like it or not :

1. Most people here buy SUV or pickups to look cool and never use them as they were designed for (less MPG)
2. The BS in lobbies for corn based ethanol ( now up to 20% and 85% for flex fuel vehicles)
3. Those wanting to make huge profits in hybrid and electric vehicles

Fact EPA requires fuel mile averages to be 46 MPG within four years has forced how vehicle design of today
is biased to meeting EPA.

GM and Ford do not even want to make cars in the USA anymore as not the big sellers, so their corporate fuel mileage
is nowhere near the coming 46 MPG so that forces nameplate design to be forced to all makes to attempt to get
the fuel mileage.

You can bet the C8 Corvette was designed for in near future

1. Using smaller engines
2. having to make the differences up in performance loss by using some type of boost
3. adding electric to drive front wheels

This means a whole new voltage design system, batteries, etc
This meant the choice was kill off the Corvette or design C8 to be able to add the above in short time-frame

That leads to a base C8 using a N/A LT2, a ZORO model with smaller engine and using boost and
The E-Vette model that is electric

Moving the gas engine in rear allowed for better aero to help MPG and room for the electric parts.

Sadly due to most young guys today either cannot properly shift a manual tranny or are to lazy to has forced
it looks like Base C8 only having a DCT type tranny.

Lastly the Obama gang forced who controlled GM put women and others in top positions who are doing exactly as obama wanted as
to killing off gas engines, Barra has spent billions of GM money on non gas engine designs and would have rather killed off
the Corvette to claim how "electric" driven GM is.

I'd say wait until you can see or drive a C8 to decide if mid-engine is a failure for Corvette but at this point under Barra the C5 Corvettes sold about 35,000 units a year and C7s are down to less then 19,000 a year and she had no problem allowing that to happen and drag C8 road testing for over 2 years now shows she care less if Corvette's history is killed off.

The real killer has been even with C7s is GM switched how their controllers function as to being locked, hack-proof to prevent any
tuning of those controller calibrations, kills off adding performance mods at all :(

In what I have seen on this forum is not many Corvettes in your country, far less having C5 and newer, not interested in grass roots racing or doing performance mods so wait until we here in USA beat the piss out of C8s and see what they are made for as to Corvettes racing and performance history

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Steve Cropley, Editor of Autocar, bemoaning the loss of the front engined Corvette in this weeks issue, including "I've always rated Corvettes" "Can't help thinking they're chucking away vital aspects that make Vettes special"

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Steve Cropley, Editor of Autocar, bemoaning the loss of the front engined Corvette in this weeks issue, including "I've always rated Corvettes" "Can't help thinking they're chucking away vital aspects that make Vettes special"

I agree of course. As I've said, the "top team" seem to listen to the same small set of individuals who follow them around like groupies, all telling them how they need a 800hp track car etc etc... The actual Corvette ownership will never use that, want to do road trips and be able to travel in comfort, usually not much quicker than the speed limit.

I have this nasty feeling that it'll be the end of Corvette, as I just cannot see sales of a ME car being that great.

On the racing subject, I couldn't help but smile when I read this week that Ford have confirmed no factory effort behind the GT after 2019, leaving it to privateers. They bent or ignored the rules to get the Le Mans win they wanted with no opposition and just when an ME Corvette might be on track, they step away....