24 Heures du Mans 2019

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"Up until it all went wrong, we did the best we could and that put us in front. The guys did a fantastic job all race – the crew, the engineers and the drivers… everybody. But the safety car came out there late, we had to pit and effectively that took the win away. P2 was in the cards; that’s not what we came here for but for sure we would have taken that with the win not being on the table any longer.
Unfortunately I clipped a curb on cold tires and hit the wall.

I can’t begin to describe how horrible I feel for the guys and all the hard work they have put in for the past year.
We had the car in front and a mistake like that takes it all away.
I don’t know how to apologize for that but hopefully I can make it up to them someway."

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"Thanks to Corvette Racing for giving me the opportunity to race here at Le Mans again.
I always love it even though as we saw this weekend it can be one of the toughest races in the world in that you can be a bit unfortunate. We had a really good car… the Corvette was running super nice, especially at the end of the race.
The track and everything evolved in the right direction; when it rubbered in and our car came alive
I think we had everything to fight for victory, but obviously the rules with these safety cars are a bit unfair. We’ve known this since years past and it has been proved it is not the good way of doing it. I think we need to think about it, but that is obviously not our job.

"Again, the car was prepared well and I always enjoy it to race here with Corvette Racing. Personally I was really happy to drive the car.
I felt confident at the wheel, I felt I could get the most performance out of the car and really push hard and fight for it. So personally I was super happy with my own performance, but obviously the results are not what we wanted.
Both cars were super unlucky our sister car and Jan on our car, but that’s racing you know

. We always push to the limit and sometimes things go wrong. And this also is something special within the Corvette team: there is no bad word about anything. And I’ve seen it different in my career, I can tell you.
Here, from top to bottom, they all work together and they consider it a sport. It’s racing, you try hard, and you win and you lose together. And this is what you feel at Corvette, and this is a good feeling for a driver.
Because one day you make a mistake and it’s not nice if people drag you down when they should say,
’Hey, it happens. we’ve won so much together and sometimes things go wrong,’ which for me again shows I’m in the right team here and I hope we’ll have some more opportunities in the future to win this together."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"This has without a doubt been a tough Le Mans 24 Hours for Corvette Racing.
On the 64 Corvette side, we had a promising start with good pace. We got ourselves up to fourth place, which ended up being the high-water mark as it turns out. Some little bits and pieces didn’t go our way but the race got reset with a safety car, and we were looking good again. But it wasn’t to be. Marcel had the incident with the GTE Am car it was such a big hit.

We’re all so happy he’s been able to walk away. It’s a testament to the work that Corvette Racing and Chevrolet have done on the C7.R – our driver cell, the impact structure. Those all really helped protect Marcel.
Then it was all eyes on the 63 Corvette and it was looking so well for so long. This race can bite you so hard sometimes and it can be tough to take. Everyone at Corvette Racing put so much into this for months and months.
It’s very special but it does take a lot of preparation. When you that chance of winning taken away, that’s really hard for the guys to take.
They worked so, so hard over the last few months. We can be proud of what we achieved over this race but unfortunately we weren’t standing on the top step of the podium."

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"It definitely was not the 24 Hours that we were hoping for.
We can all be super proud of all the efforts from everyone at Corvette Racing. We had two fast, reliable Corvettes – all ingredients that you need for a good race. Unfortunately what ends up being the most important piece the luck we didn’t have that today.
It’s a cliche but that’s racing.
Everyone is pushing at 100 percent, and when it is this close and the competition is this fierce, the margin for error is razor-thin.
It’s unfortunate to have had our race end early. We can be proud of the effort of this whole team.
We’re all proud to drive for Corvette Racing and Team Chevy."

"We’re happy that Marcel is OK, and that’s one of the reasons I’m proud to drive these cars like we do.
We know things happen sometimes but we know we are safe. I feel bad for the 63 team too.
They showed how competitive we can be with a seven-year old car. It’s just too bad that today was not Corvette Racing’s day."

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 64 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"It was a tough weekend for us.
It definitely was not what we were hoping for. It was an early end to our day. Everyone did a double stint, and I was on my last lap before I was to hand off to Olly. Unfortunately I got hit by a GTE Am driver that took me out and I hit the barrier quite hard.
For us the race was over.
I’m happy Corvette is the safest GT car we have in the field.
Every system worked well and I have no issues feeling well even though the impact was hard. I’m happy I’m OK but on the other hand I am sad because we were taken out of the race.
For sure we wanted to achieve a good result on Corvette’s 20th year at Le Mans.
For sure that’s kind of racing but it’s still sad for the team that all the preparation we did ended all of a sudden. It is difficult to take."

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Disappointing is not the word! We felt really sorry for all the team, many of whom looked distraught after the two crashes. A particular shame as everyone we had spoken to, even Doug on Saturday, were clearly confident that they were there with a real chance of victory.

It's a total disgrace that the WEC stewards apportion blame to Marcel for his crash - unbelievable as we all saw the footage! After a mass of chat by Bruno Vanderstick (the voice of Le Mans) about the unprecidented run of 20 yeasr that Corvette Racing has had, all under the same programe manager in Doug Fehen, we were flabbergasted when the annual "Spirit of Le Mans Award" was give to.... Patrick Dempsey!!

Did they really need a Safety Car just when Corvette needed to pit? Why not the much hyped Full Course Yellow, preferred by all? Could it be that a FCY would have been benificial to Corvette and not Ferrari? Despite everything the FIA could do, Corvette looked good for a win this year. Who else thinks the FIA interfered with the possible result!

Just to run salt into the wound of a poor race, Toyota then had to "fix" the winner with a completely bogus tyre warning call.

We had a fascinating weekend, with private visits to race control, the media centre and Bruno's comentary room among others, but the race was a travesty.....

Last edited: