Best engine oil

N

Norm

Need a little more info with respect to the engine, year, type, cubic inches, HP, original, modified, crate engine, etc.

Roscobbc

Most of us will use American oil with ZDDP additive. This is for use with 'old school' engines. The additive is supposed to used with flat tappet hydraulic lifter engines (as were used in C3's) Brands to choose are Kendal GT 1 20/50 mineral, Valvoline VR1 20/50 mineral, Millers do a classic mineral 20/50 with ZDDP. Don't bother with synthetic oils - these are generally best with later engines,

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Hi Linda

Valvoline VR1 20/50 Mineral oil available from Opie Oils (NOT THE SYNTHETIC) - you may get a discount if you mention you are a CCCUK Member

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Linda

I'm a big fan of Millers Classic 20/50 Mineral oil. As Ross says, its a good idea to stay with mineral, that's what they had from new and, based on my discussions with one of Mobil's top men, it's not a great idea to go to a synthetic oil in an old engine.

Millers can be bought from Opie Olis, who give a CCCUK discount and deliver to your door!

PS, Welcome to "C3 World"!

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Linda

I'm a big fan of Millers Classic 20/50 Mineral oil. As Ross says, its a good idea to stay with mineral, that's what they had from new and, based on my discussions with one of Mobil's top men, it's not a great idea to go to a synthetic oil in an old engine.

Millers can be bought from Opie Olis, who give a CCCUK discount and deliver to your door!

PS, Welcome to "C3 World"!
Hi Stephen, following one of your previous posts recommending Millers, I followed your lead. So the two '78 owners I referred to was You & I !