C6 headlight Lenses

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
Would any one have any C6 headlight lenses they wish to sell, I only need the right/passenger side but happy to buy a pair if anybody has any. Plenty available on Ebay and the regular suppliers but seems a lottery as to what you get as the originals have all been used up so everything is now pattern part.
Just FYI mine was damaged simply wiping a solvent over the surface, it has crazed the whole lens, no idea why, its something I have done many times before on these lenses removing tar spots etc, I thought it may be some king of coating so tried again the following day to see if I could remove any coating but the same solvent never touched it this time, I even tried the other lens and again no problem, all I can think of is car was in the sun for a few hours before I wiped the lens so perhaps the fast evaporation may have been the cause, all very strange.DSC_0120.JPG

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
No not polish able, cracks go right through.
Have sourced a single lens in the USA just waiting to see if there are any in the UK before ordering.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
I ordered a pair from Zip, mine had the same crazing as yours. I changed them over yesterday, what a difference. It's worth ordering 6mm black butyl adhesive and also go for new neoprene/foam surrounds too.

Attachments

• 20190421_131624.jpg
    20190421_131624.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190422_200455.jpg
    20190422_200455.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 9

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
Which method did you use to remove the lenses? heat gun or in the oven?
The last pair I changed I used the oven, but I see all the recommendations on line seem to now use a heat gun.
Anyway new lens on the way with gasket and glue from HPI who supply the major stockists, cheaper to go direct £132 to my door with all duties etc paid.
Mike.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
I went with the Oven option. I tried three different temperatures, in the end it needed about 140C before the glue softened enough to pry the lens off. It does make the oven smell of plastic for a day, but it hasn't melted or broken anything. The other benefit of this was that I could carefully peel the glue out in one piece, no scraping required. That's a good price. :)

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
Which method did you use to remove the lenses? heat gun or in the oven?
The last pair I changed I used the oven, but I see all the recommendations on line seem to now use a heat gun.
Anyway new lens on the way with gasket and glue from HPI who supply the major stockists, cheaper to go direct £132 to my door with all duties etc paid.
Mike.
you must have got the lenses a few years ago as it works out £161 plus shipping and duty today prices

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
No just ordered them over the weekend, but just the one passenger side lens with gasket and glue. Lens £89 shipping £19 Import & customs £24 all via Ebay global shipping right to the door.
Most are around the $249 per pair plus Gaskets and then astronomical shipping around $60, or R Seibring who makes the best lenses at $310 pair for just the lenses.
Have used HPI before and the fit just fine.

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
Friend of mine here in Florida had the exact same thing happen to his and he swapped them out this week for these. Think he said the cost about $1,000 but don't quote me on that.

Attachments

• 59993551_851544915238340_8592050670847131648_n.jpg
    59993551_851544915238340_8592050670847131648_n.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 12

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
Well took the plunge and ordered the other lens and 4 halos, so just need to get them all fitted.
Got the lights out yesterday and lenses removed with the help of a hot oven, then spent another hour removing the old adhesive residue, going to use tiger grip polyurethane adhesive sealer as I don't want any silicone around, but wont get on them now until Thursday as I am away from home. A few breakages of the studs holding the bezel to the main light box, these need to be held with a E4 torx socket to prevent the studs turning in the the plastic bezel and breaking the stalks but a bit of epoxy will sort that.
Will take a few pics of assembly when i get a minute.

Mike.

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
Do you know where he got them, would look nice on my C6 👍
These are the ones.