Welcome to the new CCCUK website!
Our old website is still available but no longer open for new posts. Click here to visit it. Click here for more information.
If you're not already a member of the CCCUK, join now!

Changed Mobil 1 oil specification for C7

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Well this took me a little by surprise. Back in the day US oil spec Mobil 1 for Vettes was 5w-30 but the oil wasn't available in UK and there was a lot of debate around what to use. I was one of those who didn't fret too much and simply used the available 0w-40.

My Stingray is due for an oil change and Halfords are currently offering their usual early Spring 20% discount on Mobil 1. But the range of available oils has changed and now includes a wider selection of grades. My driver's handbook recommends 5w-30.

But check out this link to Mobil 1 website!!
Chevrolet Corvette recommended oil | Mobil™ Motor Oils

"Mobil 1™ 5W-30 is the recommended service fill for many generations of Corvette, but for all C7 Corvettes we recommend upgrading to Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 0W-40."

Rich

Administrator
I am about to open a can of worms and can do no better than repeat a post from someone else from the old website in 2011. Of course the oil recommendations may have changed since then. My advice would be to get a definitive answer form Ian Allan Motors as to what oil they use.

"As you probably know, for Corvette C5s the GM recommended oil in the handbook is Mobil 1 5W-30 which conforms to specification GM4718M. This has not been commonly available, so with approval from GM, most folk, including me, have been using Mobil 1 0W-40.

My oil change was due and I was pleased to find on Halford's shelf, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30. At last, the right grade, off the shelf I thought. I duly bought some but before installing, as there was no mention of GM 4718M, I thought I'd check with Mobil 1.

Their response was as follows. "Unfortunately Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 doesn't meet GM 4718M specification. GM 4718M is a specification required only for GM, Chevrolet & Corvette cars made in USA and therefore we have a number of engine oils with such spec in the States but in Europe we only have Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 5W-30 (in Russia only), due to limited presence of such cars. As far as I know Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is the best solutions for cars requiring GM 4718M, yet it doesn't meet it so I would use it after warranty only. Going for Mobil 1 0W-20 may be risky in your car because it's too thin even if it meets GM 4718M."

Following on from this I checked with GM UK and this is what they had to say.

"GM have developed the DEXOS brand of oil across the world. In the US, DEXOS 1 is only avail and meets all the GM Gasoline
requirements, today and retrospectively. In EU, DEXOS 1 is not sold, but DEXOS 2 is , and this DEXOS 2 oil meets the
Diesel requirements AND GM Gasoline requirements, inc. Corvette C6 and
older models.

Quote from GM Bulletin #11-00-90-001: Global Information for GM dexos 1 and
GM dexos 2 Engine Oil Specifications for Spark Ignited and Diesel Engines,
Available Licensed Brands, and Service Fill for Adding or Complete Oil
Change - (Mar 14, 2011) ,
"
dexos 2™ is approved and recommended by GM for use in Europe starting in model year 2010 vehicles, regardless of where the vehicle was manufactured.

dexos 2™ is the recommended service fill oil for European gasoline engines.

DEXOS 2 is avail from Vauxhall/Chevrolet Dealers."

And so folks, it looks as though GM are now telling us to use Dexos 2 as service fill. I returned my £50 a gallon Mobil 1 and bought some genuine GM Dexos 2 5W-30 from my local GM dealer. It seems to meet most of the grades of the Mobil 1 0W-40 but additionally it has the all important GM approval. And yet, it cost me jus £18.00 a gallon. Work that one out if you can. Have I misread the situation or has anyone anything to add? Thought you'd all like to know."

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Things move on and, as it happens, the 0w-40 and 5w-30 currently on sale at Halfords are both Dexos 2 compliant. For some reason the 0w-40 is a couple of quid more expensive than 5w-30 so perhaps that's what Mobil mean by an "upgrade"!

Norm

CCCUK Member
What ever that owner's manual recommends for that year engine, I stick with, can't go wrong. That's all I use, Mobil 1 5W-30.

teamzr1

Regular user
Frankly the street driving oil GM specs is really for better fuel mileage and nothing else
You notice themselves GM states for racing use like a 15W50

Stick with the Mobil I as all the seals, O-rings, gaskets, etc were matched at design stage to function well with Mobil 1 synthetic

I have use mostly 10W30 for street and 15W40 ( since my new 1984 C4) for racing the lower weight like 0 or 5
will become blowby and can reverb back out through aircleaner.