Coolant fill up

Nosheruk

Well-known user
Sorry if this is a silly question😜
I have my cars front end up on ramps as i will be fitting a new rad when it arrives next week.
Question is, when im filling up the coolant, is it safe to run the engine with the front end raised?
I just want to make sure i wont have any oil circulation issues etc with the fronr end up in the air.

Regards

Norman

N

Norm

What angle of degrees are you talking about, moderately raised, or at a steep angle. I would think since the oil sump is in the deepest part of the oil pan, it shouldn't be a problem, probably no more than climbing a steep hill. If you are concerned, as a precaution, wouldn't let it run too long, just long enough to check for leaks, which trust me, if there is, it won't take long.......:)

Roscobbc

What Norm sez. Mine is in same position, just a little bit higher - waiting fro when I can get underneath to put a new oil pump in, re-install a couple of rod-ends, replace oil pan and using a priming shaft and drill check the oil circulation.......

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Your ramps do not look quite as high as mine and I run the engine when the car is on them. But, if you are re-filling the system from scratch, you may find that you'll need the car level to get the rad full, assuming you are following the refill instructions in the Haynes Manual.

Make sure you have a funnel to fill the rad when the car is running, the fan will blow the stream of water everywhere otherwise - ask me how I found that out!:D