Errrrrr washer bottles and pump location

CrispyCleen

CCCUK Member
So, some of you may remember my 1970 imported just before Christmas.
View media item 203Well I’m putting together the (hopefully) final parts list for the MOT. And, welllllll, there’s something I have learnt about the previous owner....... he was very........ inventive. I think my washer bottle has been ‘re-purposed’ as the coolest header tank and the washer pump is missing entirely. :cautious: Probably when the engine was replaced.

Can anyone with a 70 (early or late) take some photos of the typical placement for their washer bottle and pump please?

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
So, some of you may remember my 1970 imported just before Christmas.
View media item 203Well I’m putting together the (hopefully) final parts list for the MOT. And, welllllll, there’s something I have learnt about the previous owner....... he was very........ inventive. I think my washer bottle has been ‘re-purposed’ as the coolest header tank and the washer pump is missing entirely. :cautious: Probably when the engine was replaced.

Can anyone with a 70 (early or late) take some photos of the typical placement for their washer bottle and pump please?
Mine is here on drivers side tucked under the wing , my pump is under the bottle .
It was a pain to replace but not to bad ,think yours might be a different layout mine is a 78 Pace car
2nd photo is out of Haynes book if of any use .No 1 is the bottle .

Attachments

• 2B872268-E100-409A-AB19-A79BDE85E4F9.jpeg
    2B872268-E100-409A-AB19-A79BDE85E4F9.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 13
  • 43877EF4-4995-4EB5-948F-5B87F8A0069D.jpeg
    43877EF4-4995-4EB5-948F-5B87F8A0069D.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Here you go Crispy. The following photos should show the correct place for my 72's washer pump, attached to windscreen wiper motor and is the yellowing plastic unit in middle of first picture. But as you can see it was u/s, so for my Mot & getting UK reg etc, a new pump was fitted inline and all I've done at present is loop the excess wiring above it. Last photo is my washer "bag" (brand new one) who g is correctly located in the hooks at the driver's inner wing. Took off the egg crate side grille panel to assist in getting it on the hooks. I've pulled the pipe out in the photo to make it more obvious for you, normally tucked away.
Hope this helps,
Jim GIMG_20190208_142017.jpgIMG_20190208_145015.jpgIMG_20190208_144639.jpg

Grahamred70

CCCUK Member
Just a quick tip for you if you fit an electric pump in place of the squirter pump on the wiper motor, the washer switch in the car switces the earth to operate the washer so you need a live feed to your pump with the negative switched by the wiper/washer switch.
Graham

CrispyCleen

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the replacement engine pretty much ripped out all the original wiring harness inside the engine bay. So anything I do will be from scratch.

I’m not even sure I’ll be able to fit an original washer pump, as the HEI distributor sits so close the the wiper motor (which I suspect is why it’s been ripped out).