Free Road Tax

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
Registered my car for Historic road tax the other week as it is now 41 years old ,thought it was going to be a nightmare.
Just did an online check and hey ho tax due 1/03/2020 bonus .
Took all relevant documents to local post office job done (y):D:D

N

Norm

Registered my car for Historic road tax the other week as it is now 41 years old ,thought it was going to be a nightmare.
That's cool.:cool:

In my state, 25 YO+ can be registered as an antique. A one time $25 fee, a one time inspection, then free registration and no inspections for the life of ownership, even a special plate is issued, good deal.

Plate optional to mount on front of vehicle, which most do, DE is a one tag state.

antique_car.jpg

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
Makes a nice change to get something free off the government especially when I’m running 4 vehicles .
I don’t even need to get an MOT now but will continue to get it checked out by my local garage .
Free road tax used to be for 72 and pre 72 vehicles until it changed .:D

Redlevel

Well-known user
"..shut it! ..you're in trouble now, my son! ..you're nicked!" :(

The coppers are pulling a few mot exempt cars as their comms show that they are driving without a current mot. This has been highlighted in Practical Classics recently as plod doesn't believe that 40+ year old vehicles can be exempt!

Typical, ..always the last to know about any changes. I got arrested at a traffic light in the late '70's for not having a front plate on my wee Honda CD175. They wouldn't believe me and I was hauled off to the local nick for being "difficult" :mad: and subsequently released amid disgruntled looks. :LOL:

Anyway, PC has provided a letter that you can show in the event of your pending arrest. You might want to print it out and stuff it in your glove box (..and nowhere else or you will be nicked, my son!)

DVLA statement on declaration — Practical Classics

Attachments

• DVLA+statement+on+declaration[2].pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 19

Redlevel

Well-known user
Ministry Of Transport (what we call the annual roadworthy MOT test)
Dept. of Vehicle Licensing Authority (UK motoring's Big Brother)
Practical Classics Magazine (Champion of all things in the classic car world. They keep us up to date with changes in motoring law etc and big fans of the C4 Corvette which they rated as THE No.1 classic buy last month, stating that they really were too cheap and for no real reason!)

phill78

CCCUK Member

i have the same car pace car # 635
but mine is not free till april because it was not reg. till 01/03/78
is that right ?

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
i have the same car pace car # 635
but mine is not free till april because it was not reg. till 01/03/78
is that right ?
Hi Phill according to my door plate mine was registered on 04/03/78 and that has gone through ok, but when I bought it last year they would not let it be taxed for free.
Mine was due for tax 01/03 /78 so gave it a go and got it . I would say that yours complies too .

PAZ9556

CCCUK Member
"..shut it! ..you're in trouble now, my son! ..you're nicked!" :(

The coppers are pulling a few mot exempt cars as their comms show that they are driving without a current mot. This has been highlighted in Practical Classics recently as plod doesn't believe that 40+ year old vehicles can be exempt!

Typical, ..always the last to know about any changes. I got arrested at a traffic light in the late '70's for not having a front plate on my wee Honda CD175. They wouldn't believe me and I was hauled off to the local nick for being "difficult" :mad: and subsequently released amid disgruntled looks. :LOL:

Anyway, PC has provided a letter that you can show in the event of your pending arrest. You might want to print it out and stuff it in your glove box (..and nowhere else or you will be nicked, my son!)

DVLA statement on declaration — Practical Classics
Hi , cheers for that I already have that letter saved on my phone for future occasions.
At present my car is still MOT`D , not decided about future mot yet.

phill78

CCCUK Member
Hi Phill according to my door plate mine was registered on 04/03/78 and that has gone through ok, but when I bought it last year they would not let it be taxed for free.
Mine was due for tax 01/03 /78 so gave it a go and got it . I would say that yours complies too .

Hi thanks for that
will get back to them and find out

phill78

CCCUK Member
Phil I just took my V5 and everything to the post office and they sent it all off .
V5 class has to be changed to historic vehicle.

HI Stewart
i just called them and they said the same as before
april 1st
can i ask what date is on the the plate in your car