Good bye '72

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I'm not one for letting any classic car sit idle and having only put on 400 miles in the last two years I decided to let the 1972 coupe find a new home. I didn't advertise it anywhere but I was asked if I would consider selling and I agreed. It all came to a head today when I received my new log book transferring my V8 VET plate to my daily beater - a V6 and not a Vette :p It's going this weekend to an enthusiast and prior C3 owner and what I'm sure will be a good home and hopefully to be driven more often.

20180520_151644_resized.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Gorgeous car, I'm sure the new owner is delighted. (y)

He's itching to collect it but I had to get the new registration sorted so he could insure it. All good now and on Sat it goes. I've been trawling mid year sections for over a year learning and looking at prices so that's the aim

Stuart

Nick B

CCCUK Member
hi
good morning all
just to let you know im going to be the new very proud owner of that glorious 72 .
it will be pampered and used regularly and I will be booking it in for the nationals at Sharnbrook.
ill upload some pics shortly
paul

Congratulations Paul, it looks like a beauty.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
So are you on the look out for a C2 as a replacement Stuart?

That's the plan Stig. I did for a short time and had a deal together for a new C7 in exchange for my now sold '72 and my F Type. But the sheer horror of having to walk to collect my sausage n egg McMuffin in the morning squished that plan as it would be a daily driver. So back to what was my original plan and on the lookout for a 66 or 67 big block. Originality is where I'm at and it has to be in nice condition but no garage queen. Now I've dismissed getting a new one I will make an effort to sell my V8 VET plate to part fund the C2 So anyone with a Vette '79 or newer could wear this plate (y)

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I'm no expert but V8 VET would have to go on something much newer than a 79?
Mine's a 79 and it's a ERR82T
I'm guessing 2001 onwards unless someone's bowled you a googly Mr Cricket?
I'll let you know if I come across a suitable car for you on my travels
Now who's got a reasonable C2 for £35K:whistle:

N

Norm

Just being nosy here, but not understanding why a tag# of V8 VET would be exclusive to '79's and up? You're talking about a vanity tag that is transferable, correct?:unsure:

Roscobbc

Age related Norm - you can't transfer a 'vanity' plate originally issued in, say 1978 on to an older vehicle - it's ok to transfer on to a later car though.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member

I don't know about that, I've had that plate for at least 20 years maybe. I had it on 2 C5's and one was a 2002. I managed to get it on the '72 as I applied and they processed it. When thinking about selling the 72 I wanted to transfer it to the 71 but the DVLA went mad and said it shouldn't be on the 72 and I wasn't to drive it on UK roads until I had it changed to an age-related plate. When I pointed out that they had issued me a log book they swallowed it and let me use it on the 72. In doing so, many car 'experts' suggested it was issued in 78.

Norm. Numbers on our registration plates are a numerical & letter system that has evolved over the years. I would think that the first was A1 or similar and now they are usually several letters & numbers that determine the year of issue and sometimes they can naturally spell something, other times they need some manipulation. The ones that spell something or maybe are initials are referred to as cherished numbers and can fetch good money. I think VIP 1 is several hundred thousand pounds. COMIC is coming up for sale and they estimate £150k

And back to the curious bystander - The C2's I've been looking at both here and 'over there' will need the £35k and several lesser-used internal organs I think! But please do keep an eye out (y)

The spinners were ok, it was the left-handers that usually did for me...

Stuart

N

Norm

Age related Norm - you can't transfer a 'vanity' plate originally issued in, say 1978 on to an older vehicle - it's ok to transfer on to a later car though.
Being on this side, that actually sounds kind of weird. Over here, the number/name on tag issued regardless of when or what it was on originally, can be applied to the new ownership of vehicle, as long as that tag not currently in use and being transferred properly.