Most Bashed Bridge

N

Norm

Made the news here......:D

You can’t say he wasn’t warned.

The “most bashed bridge” in Britain has been hit by a truck again just days after the low railroad overpass was covered in new warning signs and yellow jacket stripes.

The 9-foot-high Stuntney Bridge in Ely had reportedly been struck 120 times since 2009 before a box truck got wedged under it at a 45-degree angle with its roof torn off on Monday. Two flatbed trucks with a crane were needed to extricate the vehicle from its predicament.

There were no injuries in the incident, but the bridge suffered minor damage and the driver was cited for a moving violation, SWNS reported.

“Drivers need to know the height of their vehicle, not guess. In short: Wise up, size up,” a spokesman for the railroad authority said.

bridge1.jpgbridge2.jpg

'Most bashed bridge' gets hit again by truck despite new warnings

Bowler

CCCUK Member
Despite the bridge displaying "Warning Very Low Bridge" in 60ft high letters, unfortunately, the majority of van drivers in Britain, only speak Polish and have an english vocabulary limited to something along the lines of "you sign here pleeeze" **

Note** Some of the above may be made up for comedic effect.....

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I have been there - I had hired a 7 tonne Box, had to make a few collections and then a very long haul, I had hired a friend as a driver and was showing him the ropes as he had not driven such a large vehicle before - three bridges in a row only about fifty yards between each - first Bridge sailed through - second Bridge came to an abrupt halt - Stuck under the Bridge could not move - dropped the tyre pressures, still stuck, so let down the tail lift, I seconded passers by to help - five standing on the front bumper, seven on the tail lift - they were all jumping up and down trying to get the truck released as I applied the gas with clutch slipping - eventually got out and then went slowly to get to an air pump for the tyres, found a body shop and did a quick minor repair to the roof. Funniest thing was whilst I was in a traffic jam trying to get to a garage to pump up the tyres another driver coming towards me saw the low tyres and shouted to me "for God's sake get some weight out of that truck".

Yes - not very clever of me.

gavinfdavies

Well-known user
*in the voice of Mick Dundee*

"Call that a low bridge?! THIS is a low bridge!"

bridge 1.JPG

bridge 2.JPG

Just compare the height of the beam to the height of that normal (wonky) sign...

On my motorbikes I have to lie flat on the tank, an the wife's Citroen C3 doesn't actually fit!

N

Norm

Wow! I'm not a tall person, but I'd have to crouch over to walk under that.o_O

gavinfdavies

Well-known user
On my bike, I can stand up and wedge my head against the underside of the bridge and balance hands free! first came across it while on my trail bike - it was a shock meeting a bridge girder at nipple height, I can tell you!

N

Norm

Have seen that many times, still get a chuckle out of that one.......:LOL: