Steering Box Leaking - Rebuild or New One?

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
My 72's steering box has a slight leak, so I am looking for some advice please.
Should I buy a rebuild kit and go down that route. Is this an absolute nightmare of a job, or easy enough? OR
Should I buy a new/rebuilt box and save the above hassle (if it is a pig of a job?) Either way it has to be removed/replaced, just the added challenge(?) of stripping it etc, instead of "just" swapping it over. I have power steering, if that makes a difference too?!
Difference in price between kit and box is basically £200.
Thoughts/Advice very much appreciated.
Jim G

kentvette

CCCUK Member
I don't know about re-building, but I do know that, despite a LOT of contrary information, steering boxes for a '72 should be filled with chassis grease. The GM part number is GM part number 12377985, and search on that will reveal it is a standard lithium based grease, any that is an NLGI No of 2.

I'm saying this as the "leak" may not be as bad as you imagine, as it could be old grease separating out. I noticed a simialr issue on mine, I decided I'd grease the box and I was amazed to find it took almost a full grease gun's worth before it reached the "check here" hole Clearly the old grease had separated and gone "nasty". I have noticed only a slight "oil mistiness" since re-filling.

Greasing is done by using a "hollow" bot with a grease zerk attached to replace the "fill here" bolt temporarily.

I have also had discussion about the heat from the exhausts etc causing issues, so I have made a heat sheild from ally and heat reflecting covering.