The "OOPS" Of The Day

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
This one wasn't just an "oops". Actual planning went into this. I guess that moves it from the realm of "oops" to "God, what was I thinking?" or "Here, hold my beer".

IMG_4181-crop.jpg
The speakers are a nice touch, no?
P.S. Notice the P02 wheel cover? LOL.

N

Norm

This is supposed to be a Corvette, I haven't figured out a year at this time........o_O

wrecked vette.jpg

Redlevel

Well-known user
We all know the perils of driving a high powered, flammable, weak, plastic rwd car, but I for one, dont like to be reminded about it.

In over 2k miles driving around California/Nevada last year in a 2017 Charger, I was very impressed with the standard of driving and lane discipline on highways and in cities.
It was the first time I had driven in the USA and it was so much easier and I felt much safer than I do in the UK.
It was very respectful and with an attitude like "..its cool, we're all just trying to get somewhere" even when I screwed up a few times like not moving into a right turn on a red light and had to cut across a few lanes once or twice to obey the satnav.
Even the Highway Patrol officer who pulled me for doing 94 in a 70 let me off with a caution instead of a $350 fine (local coppers WILL fine you as they get a cut).
In the UK, we just seem to be in queues all the time and overtaking is just stealing someone elses place which is punishable by road rage death.
Glad I live out in the boonies!

Miss our Dodge.. That was a car and a half even in 125deg on the way in to Death Valley. Makes me laugh when I hear of people wanting a ragtop to 'tour the west'!
SAM_3027.JPG

Last edited:

Jimbo64

CCCUK Member
Oh me, reading through this thread now, puts me back, 20-10 years ago, in my time as a Traffic Cop & Collision Investigator. Never nice and as you stated earlier Norm, they are not accidents, as an accident infers no-one is to blame. 95% + of the time, human error, usually travelling too fast for the conditions. Be that, climate, weather, road, vehicle and human conditions. The latter being the one that should take account of all the former and drive appropriately, but we all know, " It won't ever happen to me. "
I used to say to people in my Road Safety talks, " Have a look at your grandma & grandpa and how they look and their mode of transport. Clothing and facial hair aside (grandma too!) We humans haven't changed much, but our vehicles have incredibly, yet with all the safety features nowadays, in the UK, approx 8 people die every day on our roads.( Not sure what that figure is now) We have not evolved enough yet to cope with sudden deceleration or stopping, brought about by our "safer" vehicles colliding with immovable/extremely strong objects. "
I would have to guess that we are a softer species now - men use face cream!

Quite a few of your pictures show Vettes hugging trees. Just remember, as you drive along that beautiful tree lined avenue, at the speed limit or maybe below or above it, the height of the tree corresponds to the length of roots it has in the ground, so we very rarely move them or win in a joust.

We need to keep our wits about us all the time when driving and keep our cars in the best condition that we can, to minimise any mistakes etc we may make.

Rant over!