Trans oil change/filter on a convertible

stiej1977

CCCUK Member
Hi all. Anyone changed the auto transmission fluid and filter on a convertible (x brace underneath - right in the way !). Surely the x brace shouldn’t ever come off?

lovejoy

Regular user
The X brace removes quite easily, it had to be done on mine, to modify
the stainless exhaust pipes to add a X crossover balance pipe.
But put it back afterwards!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20170327_182846.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20170327_182846.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 4

stiej1977

CCCUK Member
Tanks all. Going to commit myself to x brace off then trans fluid swap plus fuel filter whilst it’s off. I’d had fears taking it off would result in ever so slight “relaxation” of the chassis rails meaning the brace would never again ever be refitted!

Corkvette

CCCUK Member
I'm not sure there is a torque spec for the X brace but I'm sure if you look hard enough its there somewhere. I did mine up good and tight.
The pan bolts are much more important and there is some discussion over the correct settings for them. The two settings I found were 8 to 10lb and 15lb I was using a cork type gasket and decided to go with the lower number first and see how it felt as I figured if I did get a leak I could go a bit more. With those cork type gaskets if you go too tight and mash them then you have to start again.I think from memory I went around the 10lb mark which felt about right. ive had no leaks and no issues since.