Will an amp fit under the dashboard ?

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Yep those little Bose speaker amps are faulty and it sounds like I have a pod of Whales singing on every track. My 89 radio cassette seems OK. Fixing the Bose amps is pricey even if I can find somebody in the UK to do it. I was thinking of replacing the actual speakers with more regular units, bypassing the Bose amps and using a small type D amp instead. These type D amps can by as small as your hand so I was wondering if there was space under/in the dashboard to fit it near the radio unit (ie unscrewing the carpeted panel above your knees and putting it up there ?). If not where else could I put it ? Just wanting some advice befor I start buying stuff and taking the car to bits ! I'm not a HiFi guy, I just want some music in the car for long trips.
Yours
Ron

Redlevel

Well-known user
...and replaced it with one of these most excellent gadgets. Don't let the price fool you, the sound quality off the sd card is excellent. I put mine speaker down in a cup holder for an enhanced bass effect.
I bought a couple years ago purely as stocking fillers for grandkids but was well impressed with the sound quality so I bought one to play in the garage when I was tinkering.

Cube Mini Digital Portable Music MP3/4 Player Micro SD/TF USB Disk Speaker | eBay

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
Well that looks interesting, I once used some battery powered pc speakers and a iPod in the same way once. Looks usefull as I have another car with a original MW/LW radio that doesn't pick much up nowadays.

Doesn't answer my question about amp location though. Anybody ?

RumblinRon

CCCUK Member
I like your solution creating a big glove box by the way, passenger storage you can get to sat in the car, whatever next ! Of course anything put in my C4 just gets thrown arround the car at every bend. Why are there no luggage straps in the back? Suitcases and carrier bags clout me round the head, not good !

peterguest

CCCUK Member
My 91, when I got it, (it was imported from Japan) came with a japanese JVC double din head unit, could only get radio 2 and wouldn't play european CD's, so replaced it with a similar UK sourced unit, sound was awful, turned out to be blown cones on the front footwell speakers, both sides, so junked them and fitted similar diameter halfords sourced speakers. rear ones still seem to be original and work fine with the JVC unit. Had to file the plastic dash surround out a bit to get it fit neatly and fabricate a couple of metal brackets to hang it the hole in the dash.