Your feedback, please

How important is Corvette history to you, all the way back to 1953?

• Not relevant to my interests.

• Of casual interest.

• Vital to my deep dive into the Corvette world. I want to know it all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
As a Corvette owner for over five decades, I've seen and heard pretty much everything. Trends come and go. Interests wax and wane.

Being an owner for as long as I have means that I've seen the average owner-type change over the years. I wonder if newer people care about the GM 'car guys' who developed and ensured the survival of the Corvette, from the very beginning? And, is Corvette racing history, reaching way back into the late '50s and early '60s, '70s and '80s, of much interest anymore?

question.jpg

N

Norm

I checked casual. I had always been interested in Corvettes since I was a kid, I was 6 when I saw the '53. Never a fanatic though, for the most part when I had the time, it was a hobby to fill any voids, and a few times, my only mode of transportation. So naturally, it was/is my go to special interest vehicle.

Now that I'm retired, and in a club (244 strong) that has one hell of a group of nice people, most of my spare time I'm involved in club business, which keeps me busy, and I do enjoy that.

Since I've retired from car shows now (showing my cars), I'm putting together a cadre of fellows for judging regional car shows. I know I will enjoy that.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
When we bought or Corvette 29 years ago I confess I didn't know much about them. But, I'd bought Richard Langworth's excellent "Complete Corevte" book and read it avidly. I haven't got the huge Corvette Library that some possess, but I think I've done pretty well and used to think I was very clued up on Corvette history. Alas, the old memory banks get a little rusty these days, but I still like to think I could recognise photos of most of the "old guys" from Corvette history and am fairly conversant with the car's development and the struggles and successes related to it.

Perhaps the subject where I do differ from many is in the racing scene. There is always a lot of talk about the "golden years" of Corvette racing, meaning the 60's basically. For me, the myth overshadows the reality of cars like the first Grand Sports. Truth is, the "golden years" are here now, wit the current factory team racking up success after success and amassing more championships in it's 20 years of existence that any other. Over here in Europe (or the UK) the "establishment" still has trouble admitting how good the Corvette is. And yet, walk around the cicuit de La Sarthe during the 24 Hours and notice which team colours seem to be worn the most - it'll be Corvette, either because the wearing owns a Vette, or more likely, because it his or her favourite. Given the high price and lack of availablity of Corvette clothing compared to other teams who's stuff is produced by every back street seller, that's quite an achievement for an "outdated plastic car" from Bowling Green!

Last edited:

Roscobbc

My interest is in all automotive history - especially American and performance/Muscle car era - Corvette too - but mainly in what is under the hood related to all vehicles

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I have owned a Vette for 37 years now and the history involved behind the Vette is of interest, it is the foundation of how it came to be what it is today and Corvette performance and racing is very much a part of that.

Although there is a cross over, the Corvette I believe has two basic streams of followers; those that enjoy the early cars C1 to C3 and those that enjoy the later cars C5 to C7 and I believe it is the older followers that like the early cars and are more interested in the nostalgia and history.

(me personal the nostalgia of the C2 and C3s and then the more refined C6s in ZO6 or ZR1 mode are my choice).

Yes I would like to know all the detailed history , but time does not avail.