CCCUK logo

Adrian Flux

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» Corvette Nationals 2018 - pre booking. by Devil Denis on Fri 25 May 18 21:22

» 5 German Corvette on a North England trip in May by petchy56 on Fri 25 May 18 16:39

» Breakfast / Evening and end of an era Club Meet Midlands Area by Daytona Vette on Fri 25 May 18 12:46

» Masters Historic Festival, Brands Hatch Sat 26 May-Sun 27 May by Forrest Gump on Thu 24 May 18 20:53

» 2019 Corvette ZR1 by Gort on Thu 24 May 18 19:22

» 1981 corvette 64,000 mile on it way over by JJVETTE on Thu 24 May 18 15:48

» Le Mans 2017 by Pigginvet on Wed 23 May 18 22:35

» Harmonic balancer by Vetteheadtony on Wed 23 May 18 13:44

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - November by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 08:25

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - October by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 08:22

» Midlands-ish Breakfast Club Meeting - September by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 08:05

» Midlands-ish Breakfast Club Meeting - August by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 08:03

» Midlands-ish Breakfast Club Meeting - July by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 08:00

» South Central Regional Meeting for September by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 07:53

» South Central Regional Meeting for August by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 07:50

» South Central Regional Meeting for July by Bowler on Wed 23 May 18 07:49

» C5 aircon recharge by weslp00 on Tue 22 May 18 20:29

» dash bulbs by damc3 on Tue 22 May 18 19:41

» RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires August 15, 2018 by Vetteheadtony on Tue 22 May 18 19:27

» What did you do with your Vette today? by petchy56 on Tue 22 May 18 17:10

» Jacking whole car onto axle stands by BlackZeD on Tue 22 May 18 12:40

» For Sale 1976 C3 L48 Auto by Vetteheadtony on Tue 22 May 18 09:07

» Silverstone Classic - 20/21/22 July 2018 by curious bystander on Tue 22 May 18 08:54

» Loose handbrake lever by stiej on Mon 21 May 18 23:23

» CCCUK East Sussex Monthly Meeting in May by Sea5 on Mon 21 May 18 22:07

» Leeds Castle Motors by the Moat Sunday 13th May 2018 by 7YEL on Mon 21 May 18 16:43

» Lincolnshire Corvette Open Day by JJVETTE on Mon 21 May 18 16:41

» FOR SALE - C6 MODIFIED STANDARD EXHAUSTS louder than stock by craigyboy on Mon 21 May 18 13:23

» Oil by stevel98 on Sun 20 May 18 08:12

» no posts by L88 on Sat 19 May 18 12:41

Do You Have A Favorite Car Show/Cruise-In Chair?

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

roppa440

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 09:02

Re: Do You Have A Favorite Car Show/Cruise-In Chair?

I don't collect anything but this reminds me how annoyed I feel that me and my brother didn't inherit the medals and memorabilia our Grandfather brought back from Dunkirk. Mainly the medal he got for saving a young officer and carrying him through miles of countryside ahead of the advancing German army to the beach and the French bayonet he traded for in the dunes just before he was badly wounded in the legs with shrapnel during the regular bombing of the beach.

As his only Grandsons we grew up knowing he wanted us to have them. But my female cousins got there first and basically stripped his house before we even had the bloody funeral. One got the medals and another the bayonet. When I mention them now and again one of them always says "Oh I think I have that in the loft. Going to give it to my grandson when he's old enough".

Grrrr.... Sad

stevel98

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 09:02

That's a great collection Norm and well presented.. Thumbs up

My M1 helmet has what I believe to be a 9th Marines insignia on the back..

This is my daily wear A2 jacket that I found in a job lot of US military clothing in 1994. Its in a bit of a state, but I treat the leather once a year. Its become a family heirloom! Wish I knew its history.

My beloved jungle boots.. Best thing ever for human feet!
The soles are anti-clinging mud and they dry out really quickly if you walk through deep water.

--------------------
RIP Gunny.. Hoo Ra, Semper Fi, Carry on..

stevel98

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 09:33

roppa440 wrote (View Post):I don't collect anything but this reminds me how annoyed I feel that me and my brother didn't inherit the medals and memorabilia our Grandfather brought back from Dunkirk. Mainly the medal he got for saving a young officer and carrying him through miles of countryside ahead of the advancing German army to the beach and the French bayonet he traded for in the dunes just before he was badly wounded in the legs with shrapnel during the regular bombing of the beach.

As his only Grandsons we grew up knowing he wanted us to have them. But my female cousins got there first and basically stripped his house before we even had the bloody funeral. One got the medals and another the bayonet. When I mention them now and again one of them always says "Oh I think I have that in the loft. Going to give it to my grandson when he's old enough".

Grrrr.... Sad

My Dad was in the TA in 1939 and ended up in the BEF in 1940 driving a truck pulling an 2pound anti-tank gun through Belgium. They never made much progress as the refugees were blocking the roads after the Stuka bombers drove them out, and you couldn't take to the fields due to flooding.

They set up in the edge of a wood and fired a marker round but as the 2pounder had a long case and small warhead, the huge flash told the Germans where they were and the first mortar round landed 20 feet from his gun and the second right on it. That was my Dad's war over. They left the trucks and took off, and via various small villages, they ended up on the beach at Dunkirk, helping to destroy vehicles and equipment, (taking a pick axe to rows of motorcycles, removing sump plugs off trucks and dropping a brick on the throttle pedal etc.)

He was offered a German knife and a pistol but refused it as he didn't want to be caught with it. After two days and many hours in the water, her got on a boat for England where he arrived safely, had his name taken, given 2/6d for the train to Wembley, and told to go home. When he arrived, the first thing my Gran did was to point at his rifle and say "..get rid of that, your not bringing that in here", so he dumped it in a river".

My Mother worked for Norman Hartnell in London as a dressmaker to the Royal Family and Queen Mother in particular and walked through the London Blitz regularly to get to work. She told me that many times she stopped to look and red and green incendiaries burning as "..it looked so bright and colourful at a time when everything was blacked out". Her dressmaking skills were changed later to production of barrage balloons!

She would always laugh when people talked about the 'Yanks' getting off with the local women, as they didn't have a look in when the Polish officers were around in their green and gold uniforms, all looking like aristocracy!

--------------------

Norm

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 14:09

roppa440 wrote (View Post):I don't collect anything but this reminds me how annoyed I feel that me and my brother didn't inherit the medals and memorabilia our Grandfather brought back from Dunkirk. Mainly the medal he got for saving a young officer and carrying him through miles of countryside ahead of the advancing German army to the beach and the French bayonet he traded for in the dunes just before he was badly wounded in the legs with shrapnel during the regular bombing of the beach.

Grrrr.... Sad

If you really feel strong about acquiring your Grandfather's memorabilia, ask who has any of his papers from service, separation papers, official anything, you may be able to glean enough information to create a shadow box. Or better yet, ask who has them, if you could take a picture of the items, medals, patches, uniform items, rank, etc., and recreate one from that.

Steve seems to be well versed and astute in digging up old military info, he may lead you in the right direction. One good way is finding out the units he served in, then do some google searching. You may be able get enough info to put together a presentable display for your own satisfaction. Good luck if you do.

--------------------
From Delmarva, USA
NCM Member
2016 Z06 Coupe A8 Black, Red & Ebony Int.
1975 L82 A3 T-Top, Bright Blue, Custom Blue & Black Interior (not NCRS, more of a HOT ROD)
Previously Owned Vettes: '65, '97, '01, '10, '14

Norm

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 14:11

Steve, that jacket........the stories that it could tell.

--------------------
From Delmarva, USA
NCM Member
2016 Z06 Coupe A8 Black, Red & Ebony Int.
1975 L82 A3 T-Top, Bright Blue, Custom Blue & Black Interior (not NCRS, more of a HOT ROD)
Previously Owned Vettes: '65, '97, '01, '10, '14

stevel98

Club Member

Tue 15 May 18 15:10

Cheers Norm.. Smile

As you can see it has Major's leaves which could be appropriate as I'm an NHS govt medical engineering officer banded at 8B, which I'm told equates to a Major in the Army, Wing Commander in the Air Force or Commander in the Navy...

..cool huh? Smile

You'd enjoy this event in the UK.. 5k vehicles, and about 1000 trade stands where you can buy anything from a button to a Tiger tank.

https://warandpeacerevival.com/

There's something surreal about queuing up behind the 101st, NVA, Japanese Imperial Infantry, British Paras, etc in the beer tent!

..or watching an SS officer and three Panzer crew walking around with a bucket collecting for 'Help For Heroes' The German contingent are the 2nd Battle group who supply vehicles and men for movies and documentary re-enactments. They all speak and drill in German and look quite intimidating so I could only imagine how that must seem to our elderly veteran visitors who fought against the real deal first time around.

--------------------

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2

Permissions