» A trio of C2 owners. by yenko 1969 on Wed 17 Oct 18 20:24

» C3 Hooker Side Pipe headers by icandycanvas on Wed 17 Oct 18 16:18

» AC belt by berg944 on Wed 17 Oct 18 15:34

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by icandycanvas on Tue 16 Oct 18 20:52

» Wiper actuator on a 69L by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:36

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:08

» Le Mans 2019 by kentvette on Tue 16 Oct 18 17:55

» Tips by CaptainK on Tue 16 Oct 18 13:44

» Im interested in a C5 Z06 (this time next year) by Benbay001 on Tue 16 Oct 18 12:55

» Engine cutting out after firing up by Firepit on Tue 16 Oct 18 09:19

» Thinking About Hanging Them Up....... by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:44

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Mon 15 Oct 18 12:57

» C5 O2 sensor code?? by roppa440 on Mon 15 Oct 18 08:45

» C2 fibreglassing and prep. by L88 on Sun 14 Oct 18 17:16

» Spec lists by Jimbo64 on Sun 14 Oct 18 15:36

» Road Atlanta this weekend. by UkBeancounter on Sun 14 Oct 18 14:29

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by dex99 on Sun 14 Oct 18 12:02

» Door removal on 79 coupe by Nigelcurry on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:01

» American Day - Museum of Power Essex by Forrest Gump on Sat 13 Oct 18 17:44

» C5 Performance Projects - book by robbiew on Fri 12 Oct 18 21:19

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Fri 12 Oct 18 18:15

» speed bleeders by Grahamred70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 16:17

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - October by Daytona Vette on Fri 12 Oct 18 10:44

» Essex Regional meeting by roscobbc on Fri 12 Oct 18 08:36

» 1972 Washer bottle wanted by Vetteheadtony on Thu 11 Oct 18 22:48

» Vette Hire In The U.S. by 86vetteman on Thu 11 Oct 18 20:33

» South Central Mids Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 10 Oct 18 07:29

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in October by robbiew on Tue 09 Oct 18 19:11

» You Like Shine? I Like Shine....... by Norm on Mon 08 Oct 18 19:21

Corvette Nationals 2018 - pre booking.

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Alan305

Club Member

Thu 24 May 18 21:54

My vote is still for The Sharnbrook.

Pity NASCAR didnít work out at Rockingham UK, that would have been a good weekend venue.

Last edited by Alan305 on Thu 24 May 18 22:01; edited 1 time in total. [56 %]
--------------------
"what could possibly go wrong"

roscobbc

Committee Member

Thu 24 May 18 22:21

Alan305 wrote (View Post):My vote is still for The Sharnbrook.

Pity NASCAR didnít work out at Rockingham UK, that would have been a good weekend venue.

As soon as I learnt that Rockingham were to start 1/8" mile 'no prep' drag racing - I tried to make contact (leaving my details) with a view to discussing some possible club drag racing action there on the Saturday of the Nats weekend - Mike Lacey did the same thing. Neither of us got a reply from the events manager.......not impressed Scratchchin

Last edited by roscobbc on Thu 24 May 18 22:21; edited 1 time in total. [4 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Alan305

Club Member

Thu 24 May 18 22:29

I went in 2002 when they tried Euro NASCAR but it didnít really work. Also checked them out for a conference but with nothing on the track it was dead.

The problem with race circuits for non racing day events is that ďRed Letter DayĒ punters doing circuits in supercars gets quite boring to watch.

Last edited by Alan305 on Thu 24 May 18 22:34; edited 1 time in total. [33 %]
--------------------

Rich

Club Member

Thu 24 May 18 22:37

Re: Corvette Nationals 2018 - pre booking.

The Pokester wrote (View Post):........ For me, the best CCCUK Nationals that I attended was my first in 2008 at Huntingdon racecourse.

Absolutely agree Ė they were fantastic shows but they came at a price.

I am speaking from memory here.

The Nats were moved from Knebworth to Huntingdon Racecourse as the rental at Knebworth was too high and we received a very small proportion of the gate receipts. Huntingdon charged a smaller rental fee and we got 100% of the gate receipts. As I recall, the Huntingdon field rental was about £5k. The cost budget for the weekend was around £20,000 and the receipts were around £12,000. This mainly up front cost was only sustainable with careful financial management. In fact, when I was asked to be Treasurer many years ago, the club was completely broke and illiquid. The Committee was adamant that the Club and the Nationals must continue, so they tasked me with creating a £20k ring fenced ďfloatĒ to cater for any unsuccessful Nationals. I did as they asked within a year. One thing to bear in mind was that Huntingdon was a completely bare field and we had to supply everything including toilets, power, marquee etc. hence the big budget.

Can we repeat those days? Of course we can. We have the funds and the ability to manage the cost. The stumbling block is to find someone to take on the organisation. With all due respect to all the Nationals Organisers since Huntingdon (of which I was one, of course) their workload has reduced compared to the amount of effort put in at Huntingdon, simply because we have been using venues with more infrastructure already in place.

Last edited by Rich on Fri 25 May 18 22:11; edited 2 times in total. [17 %]
--------------------
Rich Rogers
CCCUK Lifetime Member
2017 Yellow SS Camaro

Devil Denis

Club Member

Fri 25 May 18 21:22

So I have just read this thread from start to finish and see somethings never change. I was one of the Organisers for the Nationals in 2008 at Huntingdon in fact I organised it for four years, and I thought I would remind everyone that there was a pre pay system in place then. The reason for it was to try and work out how many of each series of Corvette we had coming as the previous year we nearly got caught out with the number of C5ís that turned up.

The other reason was to relieve pressure on the gate as everyone moaned about the que to get in.

Now some have made comments about there are no side events traders etc. Well thatís what the majority asked for as they didnít want it they wanted it to go back to cars in a field.

Silverstone has been mentioned and it was 10 years ago and the members didnít want it.

I went to the Nationals last year for the first time in years and thought the venue was great in fact I was there the other week for the super car event and it was full but everyone got in and there were more cars then the club have turn up.

I think Mike has done a great job on organising the Nationals but if someone thinks they can do better then step to the plate at the AGM, but Iím willing to bet no one will, itís easier to moan about it then do something to help.

Last edited by Devil Denis on Fri 25 May 18 21:29; edited 1 time in total. [0 %]

roscobbc

Committee Member

Fri 25 May 18 23:30

Thanks for your comments Dennis - I thought that Huntingdon was a great venue and I'm sure many of us miss it. However things move on - peoples expectations move on - I recall 'sitting on the sidelines' when Rich asked me to join the committee as editor (its only 4 or 5 years ago but seems a lifetime) and seeing the organisational difficulties that Fran and the others had - bottom line was that if Mike hadn't have come up with the Sharnbrook Hotel as a venue the we wouldn't have had a Nats last year and this year. Mike is standing down after this years Nats - I wonder if anyone will 'raise their hand' for organising the 2019 Nationals!

--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Le Vette

Regional Rep

Sat 26 May 18 16:37

My tuppenceworth.

I always enjoy(ed) coming to the Nationals and confess that even when on the committee as editor of the mag I was only ever peripheral to the organisation of the Nats. However, the organisers do a great job just by sticking their hand up to volunteer, then to see it through to the clearing up at the end of Sunday. I will never criticise anyone who is willing to do it and simply enjoy and support whatever type of event they choose to organise (and that goes for the whole of the committee too, by the way).

So, a huge "well done" from me to Mike and his helpers, this year I'm delighted to be coming again with my big bro (club joint-founder John, in case you didn't already know!), with a trip over to Blighty from la belle France.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing some old(er) faces and meeting some new ones. Do come and say hello - I'll be in the yellow C5 with French plates! And I'm looking forward to visiting Sharnbrook too, which by all accounts is a very good venue.

See you on both days... Thumbs up Very Happy

--------------------
Peter Sansbury
CCCUK International Rep

May the Force be Quite a Long Way Behind You

curious bystander

Committee Member

Sat 26 May 18 19:41

Thank you for posting that Pete.

If only more Club Members had that very sensible attitude, life on the committee would feel much more rewarding.

See you at the Sharnbrook Thumbs up

--------------------
79 L82 Auto

Having a lot of bhp is all very well, but on these forums it's torque that counts

Club Secretary

Alan305

Club Member

Sun 27 May 18 18:07

Spot on Denis, itís just a car club.

Last edited by Alan305 on Sun 27 May 18 18:08; edited 1 time in total. [44 %]
--------------------

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: Previous / 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions