» A trio of C2 owners. by yenko 1969 on Wed 17 Oct 18 20:24

» C3 Hooker Side Pipe headers by icandycanvas on Wed 17 Oct 18 16:18

» AC belt by berg944 on Wed 17 Oct 18 15:34

» C3 Side Exhaust Pipes by icandycanvas on Tue 16 Oct 18 20:52

» Wiper actuator on a 69L by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:36

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Ddave on Tue 16 Oct 18 18:08

» Le Mans 2019 by kentvette on Tue 16 Oct 18 17:55

» Tips by CaptainK on Tue 16 Oct 18 13:44

» Im interested in a C5 Z06 (this time next year) by Benbay001 on Tue 16 Oct 18 12:55

» Engine cutting out after firing up by Firepit on Tue 16 Oct 18 09:19

» Thinking About Hanging Them Up....... by Norm on Mon 15 Oct 18 15:44

» BBCN Regional meet by Nicetie on Mon 15 Oct 18 12:57

» C5 O2 sensor code?? by roppa440 on Mon 15 Oct 18 08:45

» C2 fibreglassing and prep. by L88 on Sun 14 Oct 18 17:16

» Spec lists by Jimbo64 on Sun 14 Oct 18 15:36

» Road Atlanta this weekend. by UkBeancounter on Sun 14 Oct 18 14:29

» New Series of Wheeler Dealers an 02 Z06?? by dex99 on Sun 14 Oct 18 12:02

» Door removal on 79 coupe by Nigelcurry on Sat 13 Oct 18 20:01

» American Day - Museum of Power Essex by Forrest Gump on Sat 13 Oct 18 17:44

» C5 Performance Projects - book by robbiew on Fri 12 Oct 18 21:19

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Fri 12 Oct 18 18:15

» speed bleeders by Grahamred70 on Fri 12 Oct 18 16:17

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - October by Daytona Vette on Fri 12 Oct 18 10:44

» Essex Regional meeting by roscobbc on Fri 12 Oct 18 08:36

» 1972 Washer bottle wanted by Vetteheadtony on Thu 11 Oct 18 22:48

» Vette Hire In The U.S. by 86vetteman on Thu 11 Oct 18 20:33

» South Central Mids Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Wed 10 Oct 18 07:29

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in October by robbiew on Tue 09 Oct 18 19:11

» You Like Shine? I Like Shine....... by Norm on Mon 08 Oct 18 19:21

Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

Jimbo64

Club Member

Wed 10 Oct 18 18:05

Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto Message Icon

Well folks, after finally going and collecting my Red 72 350 Auto Coupe yesterday, after an 8 month wait (I've written my story for a hopeful future Vette News article, to explain this timescale), which may now get even bigger due to the following;
I began to drive her from Wolverhampton back home to Aberdeen. Sun shining, cruising along nicely. After about 325 miles, I stopped again for fuel, this time in Dundee, only 65 miles to go! but minutes after heading off, she just completely died on me and wouldn't start. Turned over, but not starting. Did some basic checks, but no joy, so called out AA and after the usual suspects checked, discovered that No.1 cylinder was absolutely full of petrol when plug removed and we mean so full, it flowed out the plug hole! and on checking carb (Rochester) it appeared to have a constant trickle of petrol down into the manifold.
Suffice to say, full lift on a recovery vehicle back to Aberdeen, not how I wanted to arrive.
Whilst awaiting recovery, AA patrolman did check electrics etc and discovered Radio fuse had blown (Radio was working in Wolverhampton, as it came on the first time I switched on ignition) - so mechanic there had enjoyed some tunes to and from MoT station!
So this morning, I had a read through Haynes Repair Manual (purchased a while back, as I somehow knew I would need it) and read in the Emissions Control Systems (Chapter 6) about the Transmissions Controlled Spark (TCS) system fitted to many models in 70's.
Checking of this system is difficult, so they say, so a check of all electrical wires and vacuum hoses is recommended first. It the says "A blown fuse in the fuse box can also cause problems in this system."
So I have put battery on charge, was very weak after all the starting attempts etc replaced radio fuse and decided to remove spark plugs to clean them - not the easiest of tasks and also to see how/if any more were rather wet/flooded.
Well I got as far as No.1 cylinder, spark plug duly broke as I removed it ! and fuel absolutely poured out the plug hole for a second time.
So that's where I'm at folks; absolutely gutted, frustrated and a few other feelings too, after waiting so long to finally get my hands on my car and to drive her but a brief few hours!
This really is a cry for help/advice etc as to what to do/check further/more etc as maybe some or one of you have had a similar issue and can assist or know someone that I can call etc to do the needful.
Many thanks,
Jim Gill
p.s. I will post some pictures of her soon, but after the drive up the road, she is filthy and I'm not in best mood right now!

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

roscobbc

Committee Member

Wed 10 Oct 18 19:49

Firstly congrats on getting the car. TBH it sounds like you were lucky in getting as far as you did with the car. As the fuel had run low crap from the bottom of the tank has been sucked up in to the carb, managed to get through filter and wedged in one of the float needle valves. This allowed fuel to overflow the carb and flood the engine. Lucky - because you haven't had a fire. Lucky because you haven't had a hydraulic lock in a cylinder and bent a con rod or worse. Hopefully a carb rebuild kit and a set of plugs will do the trick. Replace the oil as it will be diluted by the excess petrol flooding the engine.....

Last edited by roscobbc on Wed 10 Oct 18 19:52; edited 1 time in total. [3 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

Jimbo64

Club Member

Wed 10 Oct 18 23:08

Re: Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto

All noted cheers.
Mike from Mike's Vettes called me back this evening as well, as I left a message with him, after seeing his advert in this month's Vette News. Has given me some pointers/things to do/check tomorrow too and then I'll be calling him in evening to discuss further.
I maybe didn't word my story very well, as I didn't get 325 miles out of tank i.e. running on fumes, I had already filled up a couple of times, each time when tank was starting to just go below quarter full and did the same at Dundee (was actually just over a quarter, but wanted to make sure - it had been a long day and drive!)
But you could well be right, given that I don't know how long it sat at the Garage in Florida, and never had much fuel in it there or for going onto container, then up by transporter to Wolverhampton, then some fuel put in now and again there, when going for road tests and then MoT, so could well be crud etc got pulled up.
The Joys.
Jim G

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

Daytona Vette

Club Member

Thu 11 Oct 18 11:42

Welcome to the Club,

Shame to have such an experience first off, but thanks it was not worse,

If I may add, change the inline Fuel Filter, it did not do its job.

Best of Luck.

--------------------
Barry - Daytona Vette

Jimbo64

Club Member

Thu 11 Oct 18 12:15

Cheers Barry.
Yep, it could have been worse, but I'm sadly sitting here in Aberdeen, rain pouring down, having just had a look around the car further and am getting more and more disappointed with the guy who I paid and did the inspection for me in Florida, as I'm seeing things that really should have been seen and recorded to assist me with my purchase full stop.
Steep learning curve.
Gonna be a busy boy in the garage all winter me thinks Banghead

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

CaptainK

Club Member

Thu 11 Oct 18 13:38

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your import. I can sympathise with you as my 1968 import turned out to be not as advertised too, and I too was lucky it didn't go up in smoke after recently finding out the wiring was very much bodged.

I'm not very technically minded, so can't assist sorry. But good luck with getting yours back on the road and enjoying it. Mine's been off the road almost a year now having work done slowly, but it is almost ready.

Jimbo64

Club Member

Thu 11 Oct 18 22:47

Again, cheers for the sentiments and encouragement.
Bit of progress this evening, got a mate, his son & my daughter's boyfriend, all to help move her into my garage, as it was rather wet this evening, but at least I could see exactly where the leak at the back window is and so know where to apply some sealant in due course Clap
Plus earlier on today, made an initial list of items needed asap and with a bit of price comparison and weighing up the pros and cons of importing bits versus purchasing them here, ended up doing a bit of both, so spreading my funds worldwide.
Will try and upload some photos in due course.

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

stevewil

Lurker

Fri 12 Oct 18 15:38

I assume you are going to strip and clean the carb after your incident. I had a major leak on my 1972 350 carb many years ago and it turned out to be a flaw in the casting which became porous and started leaking big time. It an outside chance but same carb, same year etc
BTW it good to hear of another 1972 350 in Scotland. Clap

Jimbo64

Club Member

Fri 12 Oct 18 18:15

Yes Steve, a strip down of carb will be on the cards - rebuild kit ordered, empty sump of fuel thinned oil, get plugs out & cleaned, but new ones on order, check fuel pump operation, check engine compression, check all cylinders empty of fuel too, new oil arrived today, awaiting filters.
Not sure how much I'll get done in a week, going on hols the following week. But maybe a good thing to go away, vent my frustration on a wee white ball and come back refreshed and ready to get stuck in.
You have one too, know where to go for spares...sorry advice and assistance then ! Thumbs up

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions