» WTB: C6 Auto Coupe For Sale? by Atomic UK on Fri 09 Nov 18 02:27

» Spring Compressor by L88 on Thu 08 Nov 18 22:01

» My Ideal Vette by Jack75 on Thu 08 Nov 18 16:59

» Refurbishing wheels, factory finish by RumblinRon on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:45

» Visual differences US and Export models? by BlackZeD on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:28

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Wed 07 Nov 18 16:52

» Coilovers by Daytona Vette on Wed 07 Nov 18 11:10

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in November by robbiew on Wed 07 Nov 18 10:48

» South Central Regional Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Tue 06 Nov 18 17:35

» Car Control by philv8 on Tue 06 Nov 18 14:51

» BBCN Region CHRISTMAS Dinner by Nicetie on Tue 06 Nov 18 12:54

» New Exhaust Controller for non-TPP C6 going cheap by 86vetteman on Tue 06 Nov 18 11:52

» Corvette required by roscobbc on Mon 05 Nov 18 22:19

» Original 2009 C6 tyres by BlackZeD on Mon 05 Nov 18 18:04

» What did you do with your Vette today? by Norm on Mon 05 Nov 18 16:36

» Air chambers by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

» Adrian Flux - Christmas 2018 Opening Hours by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX on Mon 05 Nov 18 14:03

» South Central Regional Meeting and Midlands-ish Breakfast Club - November by Daytona Vette on Mon 05 Nov 18 12:56

Le Mans 2019

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

kentvette

Club Member

Tue 16 Oct 18 16:55

Le Mans 2019

So, today was the day for the 2019 24 Hours tickets to go on sale for ACO members and as usual, it was another farce. No access to the website for a morning and no answer on the phones! We had to go up to Le Mans for another matter, so called in in the afternoon. Of course, not much left in the way of ACO Tribune seats, but we did OK-ish. They sell masses to agencies (and deny doing it) so we "peasants" who pay a small fortune for membership don't' get much of a look in.

So, I hope those of you planning on coming next year have better luck! I get so fed up with the appalling "organisation" of the ACO that I was ready to skip the race altogether, and if it's a Mid Engined Vette in 2020, next year just might be our last!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

philv8

Club Member

Fri 19 Oct 18 16:26

Re: Le Mans 2019

I didn't go this year, decided to give it a miss, that's only the second time since 1999. To be honest I didn't miss it that much, but thought I'd go next year...... I tried to get on the website but as you say, yet again they had 'problems' and in the end there was no point, despite them continually telling me how important I am as a member and that everyone there is at my disposal.

In 2017 I got onto the site as soon as it opened, only to find 90% of Trubune 17 & 18 were already sold out, so there was no point in trying this year. Made my mind up not to go again or renew my membership when it comes up. If I'm honest the rot really set in when they decided to 'fix' the Ford GT win. Up until then, I put up with the lack of facilities (where else would you have a club area with dining facilities and no toilets), but for me enough is enough. The worst thing that ever happened was FIA involvement in my opinion.

Phil

Alan305

Club Member

Fri 19 Oct 18 19:41

I went 5 times in the 1970 and 80s when the organisation was really, really bad.

A friend was a private pilot and six of us borrowed a small plane and flew into Le Mans airport which then became the busiest European airport for the weekend. At the end of the race, when we came to leave, air traffic control got completely confused, so hundreds of aircraft taxied to the runway at once. At that point air traffic control called the police and several cars with blue lights came onto the runway with loud hailers saying everyone shut down their engines. It took hours and hours to sort out the mess but surprisingly French registered aircraft left before anyone else.

Why is anyone surprised when Corvette never gets treated fairly.

--------------------
"what could possibly go wrong"

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 20 Oct 18 11:44

philv8 wrote (View Post):........ The worst thing that ever happened was FIA involvement in my opinion.

Phil

Agree totally! I remember when the FIA got their hands on sportscar racing in the late 70s and ruined it then. It had just about got back on its feet (thanks mainly to Don Panoz) and the ACO let that slimy Todt bloke back in!

Next year will quite probably be the last hurrah of the "real" Corvettes, as they'll be awful Mid Engined things with tiny turbo buzzsaw motors by 2020, so it'll be a farewell event really for us!

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 20 Oct 18 11:48

Alan305 wrote (View Post):

Why is anyone surprised when Corvette never gets treated fairly.

It's not about being French, its all about the money. That's why this years victory was no surprise at all. Just a glance at the grandstand colours told the story of the winners! And one only had to look at the posters, paid fro by Porsche, to see the order they expected to finish in. And, sure enough, they did!

Pre GM Bankruptcy, Corvette Racing put plenty into the ACO's coffers, and got the rewards......

See Vetteheadracers note re the WEC and Corvette's "obligation" to be at Shanghai....

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!

Norm

Club Member

Fri 26 Oct 18 21:24

Interesting read. Have heard about Porsche being crybabies and demanding Corvette detune theirs so that Porsche can be competitive.....

--------------------
From Delmarva, USA
NCM Member
2016 Z06 Coupe A8 Black, Red & Ebony Int.
1975 L82 A3 T-Top, Bright Blue, Custom Blue & Black Interior (NCRS for me, Not Correctly Restored Stingray)
Previously Owned Vettes: '65, '97, '01, '10, '14

kentvette

Club Member

Sat 27 Oct 18 08:42

Unfortunately a lot of people know what happens at Le Mans, but its hard for them to speak out. Doug Fehan well knows the situation, but get him to admit it in public? No chance. Likewise even Aston Martin have suffered in recent years. Ford were determined to repeat their 1966 result and made sure they did by buying their way into the ACO and producing a car that barely fitted the rulebook and certainly did not fit in the "spirit" of GT racing. Add in some suspect telemetry and unexplained power gains during the actual race and hey presto, a win. Smile

Porsche's anniversary ( it seems they find one every year!) last year meant they ploughed in a lot of cash.....

Corvette are at Shanghai because they have to be if they are to get both cars invited to Le Mans next year. But word is that they are not slated win in 2019, someone else must be paying for that privilege. Very Happy

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!

Norm

Club Member

Sat 27 Oct 18 14:54

My feelings, go with what you brought, let 'em run flat out. Whoever has the meanest, biggest, fastest, have at it.
You want to play with the big dogs, then act like a big dog.......... Very Happy

--------------------
From Delmarva, USA
NCM Member
2016 Z06 Coupe A8 Black, Red & Ebony Int.
1975 L82 A3 T-Top, Bright Blue, Custom Blue & Black Interior (NCRS for me, Not Correctly Restored Stingray)
Previously Owned Vettes: '65, '97, '01, '10, '14

UkBeancounter

Club Member

Thu 01 Nov 18 20:18

Absolutely agree with the sentiment here. Used to enjoy a week in Le Mans but the location of the car club camp sites is getting worse each year. This year was a joke of a race in all classes apart from LMP2. 2016 was appalling, 2017 one of the best finishes for years in GT and then Corvette bin Jordan from the team this year ??? I personally cant wait for Ford to close the doors on the project next year and that smug git Westbrook to be out of a job. How dare a former Corvette driverů.blah blah blah.

For us, despite slating Sebring in 2017, we went back this year having bought grandstand tickets in advance and absolutely loved it. You see more racing than Le Mans with a 10am - 10pm format, and I am led to believe it has only ever rained twice in the races history.

I think this year might be unique, as the WEC race on Friday will undoubtedly have the C7's running, and the IMSA race on Saturday running the hideous, sorry, new C8's.

Jason

Last edited by UkBeancounter on Thu 01 Nov 18 20:19; edited 2 times in total. [0 %]
--------------------
Sorry I can't come to work today, I need to see the Vette.

kentvette

Club Member

Fri 02 Nov 18 18:02

Norm wrote (View Post):
My feelings, go with what you brought, let 'em run flat out. Whoever has the meanest, biggest, fastest, have at it.
You want to play with the big dogs, then act like a big dog.......... Very Happy

Porsche recently had their "retired" 919 out at a few venues in de-restricted form. It set some amazing times.

Corvette has to run a small (5 ltr?) engine at a relatively low hp level in order to comply with the ACO rules. Imagine what it could do if they could put in a full race version of say, the Z06 engine that the car is "supposed" to be? Surprised Very Happy

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
NCM Family Member

Apple IS Genisys!

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Go to page: 1, 2 / Next

Permissions