CCCUK - The Classic Corvette Club UK

CCCUK » Generation-Independent Technical » Shock absorber install torque problem

#1: Shock absorber install torque problem Author: Yellowshark Location: Ringwood Post Posted: Today at

Hi I am sure someone here must have come across this. The C5 FSM specifies 162lb/ft torque for the lower bolt install. Most torque wrenches here top out at 210nm i.e.155.9 /b/ft.

Can one get away with 155.9 or does it have to be 162? There is one on amazon that goes to 300nm, a Teng, but it is 100

#2:  Author: z06_tim Location: Warwick, UK Post Posted: Today at

The DC tooling used in many car assembly plants has a tolerance on it that is likely larger than that, although damper mount will be safety critical and could be tightest tolerance at +-10% or less.

The problem might become, what is the accuracy on your torque wrench at the top of its range?

#3: Re: Shock absorber install torque problem Author: Redlevel Post Posted: Today at

That's a huge torque setting for a damper mount.. Wouldn't have believed it until I read this.

The lower shock mounting nut is torqued to 162 foot pounds or 220 Newton meters. While this may seem extreme the high torque is required to make sure the shock absorber mounting bracket has conformed to the bushing sleeve in the lower control arm. It may feel like the shock absorber bracket is tight when in reality the bracket is not tight against the bushing sleeve. If at all possible I try to torque the nut as opposed to the bolt which can have additional resistance during tightening.

..wow! Surprised

#4: Re: Shock absorber install torque problem Author: Yellowshark Location: Ringwood Post Posted: Today at

Lol that is what I said when I looked at my torque wrench!! May be OK for the mechanics when standing under a lift but for us normal people one wonders if there is enough room laying under the car to get that torque achieved - certainly no standing on the wrench bar!!
I must admit I am having second thoughts on doing the shocks and may well take to my local mechanic.

Indeed Tim; what you say ties in with what I read last night when looking at torque wrenches. Several of them specified an accuracy of +/- 10% which to me is pretty poor when I work to less than 100 microns tolerance in my 3D printing business.

#5: Re: Shock absorber install torque problem Author: Rich Location: Bournemouth, England Post Posted: Today at

Pete - I have a torque wrench which is up to the job. Can drop it round it you need it.
CCCUK » Generation-Independent Technical » Shock absorber install torque problem

Generated using printer-friendly.