» rear dampers by Norm on Sat 17 Nov 18 22:35

» My Ideal Vette by Redlevel on Sat 17 Nov 18 22:17

» 1982 Collectors Edition by sssammm on Sat 17 Nov 18 20:44

» C3 wanted by J Broom on Sat 17 Nov 18 18:40

» Heads/cam by Redlevel on Sat 17 Nov 18 09:50

» Replacement head unit for US spec C6 by Slick on Sat 17 Nov 18 08:20

» 2007 C6 ZO6, Manual. by jackconcord on Fri 16 Nov 18 15:44

» NEC Classic Car Show - Birmingham by curious bystander on Fri 16 Nov 18 15:11

» Northeast regional, Breakfast Meeting Sun 9th December by STELTHYFLATFISH on Fri 16 Nov 18 13:20

» 1986 c4 coupe silver/brown for sale by chevrolet on Fri 16 Nov 18 12:48

» C3 roof panel by curious bystander on Thu 15 Nov 18 15:56

» 2017 Tapas and Rioja Tour by kentvette on Tue 13 Nov 18 11:13

» C5 Z06 for sale (2002) by roscobbc on Tue 13 Nov 18 00:50

» Anyone know anything about this C5??? by roppa440 on Mon 12 Nov 18 11:38

» 94 In A 45 by kentvette on Sun 11 Nov 18 18:32

» Wanted.. Convertible C6 by Monty`s vette on Sat 10 Nov 18 16:10

» C6 Grand Sport Convertible by Monty`s vette on Sat 10 Nov 18 16:00

» My new C3 pace car by Nosheruk on Sat 10 Nov 18 12:04

» C3 jack, brace, spare tub bolts by MIT on Fri 09 Nov 18 21:03

» WTB: C6 Auto Coupe For Sale? by Atomic UK on Fri 09 Nov 18 02:27

» Spring Compressor by L88 on Thu 08 Nov 18 22:01

» Refurbishing wheels, factory finish by RumblinRon on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:45

» Visual differences US and Export models? by BlackZeD on Thu 08 Nov 18 13:28

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Wed 07 Nov 18 16:52

» Coilovers by Daytona Vette on Wed 07 Nov 18 11:10

» CCCUK West Sussex meeting in November by robbiew on Wed 07 Nov 18 10:48

» South Central Regional Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Tue 06 Nov 18 17:35

» Car Control by philv8 on Tue 06 Nov 18 14:51

» BBCN Region CHRISTMAS Dinner by Nicetie on Tue 06 Nov 18 12:54

» New Exhaust Controller for non-TPP C6 going cheap by 86vetteman on Tue 06 Nov 18 11:52

Spec lists

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

CrispyCleen

Club Member

Sun 14 Oct 18 08:25

Spec lists Message Icon

Well, I’ve popped my proverbial cherry and finally bought a 1970 coupe. She’s still in the box on her way over the pond.

Now starts the restoration. Is there any way of finding what this car would have been spec’d to? It’s clear from the my reports and photos that a lot of the interior parts have been cobbled together from other cars so there’s no certainty what was original and what’s not supposed to be there.

Any ideas? I have the VIN and that’s about it.

kentvette

Club Member

Sun 14 Oct 18 09:21

Re: Spec lists

Welcome to the world of Corvette ownership!

If your are planning on doing a restoration to the original specs, then without question, get in touch with Trevor Rogers or Chris Sale of the NCRS UK Chapter, and join NCRS, both in the UK and the "parent" organisation in the US. It's not all nerds and having your car picked to pieces by others, it will give you an unrivalled amount of detail about your car and how it was built. Plus, there are some great guys and gals in the NCRS! Thumbs up

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

roscobbc

Committee Member

Sun 14 Oct 18 09:46

Welcome to the world of Corvettes. First thing to do once 'landed' will be to get some images of the car and the vin plate over to me - I can then send you a letter enabling you to register the car with the DVLA.

Last edited by roscobbc on Sun 14 Oct 18 09:53; edited 1 time in total. [79 %]
--------------------
CCCUK Chairman
'68 coupe - 4 speed - 3.08 - 489 cu in - 570 bhp @ 5850 rpm - 606 ft/lbs torque (821 Newton Metres) @ 3850 rpm

L88

Club Member

Sun 14 Oct 18 10:05

The obvious is the trim tag on the A post as you open the drivers door. This will tell you paint colour , interior trim colour and material and build date. Originally there would have been a paper build sheet on top of the fuel tank that states the options spec of the car,chances are this has long gone.

It's for you to decide how you want your car to look, a realistic approach may be first to buy correct parts specific to a 1970 and if you get the complete originality bug then go the whole date related bug but this route would be pointless without the numbers matching block as the foundation.

There's more than enough restoration owners within the 900 strong CCCUK membership to answer your queries although expect a slight delay due to shyness and time spent in garage!

Well done on taking the plunge and post as many pics as you can so we have an accurate idea on subject matter.

Jimbo64

Club Member

Sun 14 Oct 18 14:36

Hello fellow newbie to Corvette ownership.
When I purchased my 72 in Feb and had to wait for her arrival, like yourself, armed with the VIN, I just went online, typed in C3 Corvette specs, & sure enough, a few of the US sites, apologies can't remember which right now, came up trumps explaining what each part meant & as stated previously, what the trim tag codes meant at A pillar.
Meant I established where and when my car was built, that it was originally Ontario Orange with leather Interior etc.
But better than that, in with my car's paperwork, is a Corvette Black Book, 1953-1996, which has pretty much all the info you would need. If I could take a picture of the two pages of 1970 & stick it on here I would, but not sure if really allowed to & if my computer skills good enough.
Suffice to say, I could help you out with all suffix, numbers on block, head, carb etc, as per what is written down. Let me know, glad to assist
Jim G Thumbs up

--------------------
Happy to be Grumpy

CrispyCleen

Club Member

Thu 18 Oct 18 14:46

Thanks for the pointers guys.

roscobbc: I actually already have photos of the vin as I needed them for the ESCROW verification, but I’ll wait until it hits the ground.

I think the intention is to get it ‘presentable’ before I consider to what level of restoration I go for. I was thinking of going down the lines of “if I had ordered it at the time I would have gone with..........” so not a legit by the codes, but not a ‘resto-mod’.

kentvette

Club Member

Thu 18 Oct 18 15:41

I realised I rushed my original reply a bit and missed a few things off!

You might be interested in this link to the GM Heritage Centre: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/ve...

It should take you to the full "Information Kit" that GM offer for most of their range from "days gone by"! I just had a quick look through the 1970 Corvette file and there is a LOT of very useful info in the pdf file. ( I was able to get a paper copy of mine, but I also have the pdf and it has proved invaluable here!)

It was also be possible to order a copy of your car's original Factory Invoice, essentially similar to the Build Sheet, detailing the options, prices etc but also the dealership the car was sent to and when. They didn't have everything, so you have to enter a VIN and they tell you. But, I can't seem to get the page to open. But, you could try from here:
https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle...
If not, it may be worth contacting the Heritage Centre.

Let us know when the car arrives, and don't forget we all love photos Thumbs up

--------------------
Stephen J Irons
CCCUK Lifetime Member
Corvette Club France
Corvettes of Southern California
NCM Family Member
Stephen & June's Web Site
Red Corvettes Have More Fun!

Apple IS Genisys!
The "Born-Again Greenies" are killing the planet! It's time to wake up and smell the rain-forest burning!

Grahamred70

Club Member

Fri 26 Oct 18 19:44

find the Corvette register and put in your VIN, I gained quite a lot of info there about my car.
Graham

--------------------
Graham, red 1970 convertible 350

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions