CCCUK logo

Adrian Flux

Website Control

Recent threads

New Forum Posts

» CCCUK West Sussex Xmas meeting tonight 13th December by Sea5 on Thu 13 Dec 18 17:14

» South Central Midlands Supper Club Meet by Daytona Vette on Thu 13 Dec 18 16:46

» 2002 C5 Coupe by roppa440 on Thu 13 Dec 18 15:49

» 2007 C6 Z51 BX08 ECV - Any Former Owners Here? by Atomic UK on Thu 13 Dec 18 14:25

» Outer Door Handles by kentvette on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:13

» How Many Miles Does Your Corvette Get Driven? by Skoosh1970 on Thu 13 Dec 18 11:08

» AMERICAN SPEEDFEST 7 on 1st - 2nd JUNE 2019 by Fishy Dave on Thu 13 Dec 18 08:52

» wet carpets by stephano on Wed 12 Dec 18 22:51

» Once A Vette Head - Always A Vette Head! by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 13:57

» What did you do with your Vette today? by roscobbc on Wed 12 Dec 18 12:09

» Insurance recommenations by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 07:54

» Website Copy and Paste by Rich on Wed 12 Dec 18 07:51

» Trimmer/upholsterer by Forrest Gump on Tue 11 Dec 18 20:06

» Bloodhound SSC by Atomic UK on Mon 10 Dec 18 13:04

» Spotted C2 by Jan25 on Mon 10 Dec 18 09:01

» Help with newly acquired 72 350 Auto by Jimbo64 on Sun 09 Dec 18 21:33

» Facebook page by fat_jogger on Sun 09 Dec 18 19:36

» O.m.g. by Redlevel on Sun 09 Dec 18 17:35

» C5 Harmonic balancer wobbling! by therabster on Sat 08 Dec 18 22:02

» My C8 Grump by Vetteheadtony on Sat 08 Dec 18 13:05

» C7 Z06 by MShaky on Fri 07 Dec 18 15:17

» Replacement head unit for US spec C6 by Young Bill on Fri 07 Dec 18 10:10

» Kelsey Hayes Aluminum Wheels by Daytona Vette on Thu 06 Dec 18 01:05

» Thames Vally Region trip to Studio 434 by Nicetie on Wed 05 Dec 18 22:33

» C6 LED halos by autocolor on Wed 05 Dec 18 19:20

» Another day, another Mid-Engine Corvette thread by Norm on Wed 05 Dec 18 19:05

» 2007 C6 ZO6, Manual. by Fraser on Wed 05 Dec 18 15:50

» 2019 Nationals by curious bystander on Wed 05 Dec 18 11:15

» Replacing Fuel Filter by robbiew on Tue 04 Dec 18 18:28

» South Central Breakfast Club by Daytona Vette on Mon 03 Dec 18 12:52

Air chambers

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyView next topic

Author

MIT

Club Member

Sun 04 Nov 18 22:16

Air chambers

Hi, since the temperature has dropped, Iíve noticed a considerable amount of condensation on my c3, in particular the engine. Iím quite concerned about this, and tomorrow Iíll be ordering a cair-o-port, see link. Just wondered if any of you use one, carcoon, airchamber etc, and does it eradicate condensation?

Cheers, Tim.

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/info%5fCOP%5fMEDIU...

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 08:44

Re: Air chambers

Ventilation is the key with outdoor covers of any kind. Or de-humidifier in them.

Having a large dry garage built onto the house was the best thing I ever did. Thumbs up

Fishy Dave

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:08

I had a similar problem with my Caterham years ago and ran two of these tube heaters underneath: f:0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tubular-Tube-Heater-with-Built-In...

They just raised the temperature of the engine and chassis enough to encourage the condensation to go elsewhere. Could another alternative be something like this attached to the sump? f:0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Oil-Pan-Sump-Tank-Heater-2...
This way the oil is warm too, ready for the occasional winter use or start up? The heat should spread through the block.

Not as effective as a Carcoon or decent garage, but cheaper, just a thought.

--------------------
2007 C6 Manual

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:20

Just realised that is an indoor only thing you are looking at.

I that case all you need is to keep the damp out and the temperature inside fairly constant.

When I was a kid in the '60s my Dad used to have a paraffin "block heater". It was like a little can that burned a tiny flame. You put it under the sump.

Looking back on it now I realise why Health and Safety was invented.....

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:36

Before it broke, the modest de-humidifier I had in my garage pulled about 2 litres of water out of the air a week during the winter.

I haven't replaced it. Instead I just keep the room temp up above freezing. Last winter was very mild so I didn't really need anything.

It makes me wonder why condensation is forming on the engine. Are you always warming the engine up?

You should never do that. It's the engine making the condensation. Just leave the car standing on jack stands and the battery on trickle charge when not in use for long periods. You only ever want to warm the engine up for tuning or out driving.

Last edited by roppa440 on Mon 05 Nov 18 15:39; edited 1 time in total. [2 %]

MIT

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:39

Hi, my long term plan is to knock the garage down and rebuild, the concrete floor is cracked, and condensates, I fear no dpm was used when it was poured. The roofs not great. Itís not attached to the house either. Hopefully next summer Iíll be rebuilding it, a nice timber building with roof storage, one double roller door instead of the 2 single up and overs I have now.
I have now ordered the Cair-o-port, and hopefully this will work well, and I can continue to use it inside the new garage next year, can only help! Itíll help keep the dust off if nothing else.

--------------------
Tim.

74 coupe.

roppa440

Club Member

Mon 05 Nov 18 15:41

MIT wrote (View Post):Hi, my long term plan is to knock the garage down and rebuild, the concrete floor is cracked, and condensates, I fear no dpm was used when it was poured. The roofs not great. Itís not attached to the house either. Hopefully next summer Iíll be rebuilding it, a nice timber building with roof storage, one double roller door instead of the 2 single up and overs I have now.
I have now ordered the Cair-o-port, and hopefully this will work well, and I can continue to use it inside the new garage next year, can only help! Itíll help keep the dust off if nothing else.

Now that sounds like a plan. Thumbs up

Reply to topic
View previous topicEmail to a FriendPrinter FriendlyPrivate MessengerView next topic

Permissions