10 yr old Tyres

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi guys, When i bought my C3 a month or so ago the tyres looked like new, the guy selling said the tyres had been on about 6 years he'd done very little mileage, ive found a receipt in the history file that says they are coming up to 10 years. They look good on the inside and outside no cracking etc. Im just worried that a blowout at 60-70 mph could be catastrophic and whilst i dont want to spend £500 on new tyres i also dont want to risk doing damge to the car. Your thoughts or experience of older tyres would be appreciated. Also im considering going for either Cooper Cobras or if i can find some Mickey Thompson's. Not sure whether to go 215/70 or 225/70. I have 225/70 on there at the moment but someone who has an excellent reputation in Norfolk said 215 would ride better.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
First thing, check how old the tyres actually are. There will be a date code on the sidewall. 4 digits, first two week, second two year.

Eg 3019. 30th week of 2019.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
4509 which equates to wk45 2009. So nearly 11 years old then. Thanks for the tip on how to tell age. Given this do you think they should be changed?

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
It's a no brainer. A quick google will advise anything between 6 - 10 years old then the tyres should be changed.
My C5 had the excellent Michelin Pilot Sports with loads of tread depth but they were over 8 years old so I changed them, not worth the risk with any car let alone a quick one.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
My tyres are about 10 years old. They are the OEM Indy tyres, & plenty of tread, no damage, so was a bit reluctant to change them.The car came from Florida & having lived abroad I know the sun damages tyres. Last week I found a very large split between the treads, which could have been catastrophic if blown at speed. I like a well presented car, but IMHO tyres & brakes take top priority over cosmetics. I've just received Cooper Cobras from Roundtrip on web. They are 255/60/15 so slightly more money than 225's at £107 + £15 to fit at my local place.

Gus

CCCUK regional rep
I recently had a tyre blow-out while cruising @60mph in my C3 which could have been disastrous......
The tyres had come with the vehicle and looked to be in excellent condition, but were obviously too long in the tooth!
Any doubt at all....change them!

ps..top tip...;).don't buy 235/70's if you want to carry a spare wheel!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
"Im just worried that a blowout at 60-70 mph could be catastrophic"

That is your answer plus negating your Insurance - go for the Cooper Cobras they are M & S softer rubber, age harden later

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I recently had a tyre blow-out while cruising @60mph in my C3 which could have been disastrous......
The tyres had come with the vehicle and looked to be in excellent condition, but were obviously too long in the tooth!
Any doubt at all....change them!

ps..top tip...;).don't buy 235/70's if you want to carry a spare wheel!
The Spare does not have to be the same width, just the Rolling Road Diameter

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
No...but my spare 235/70 is on a standard rim....
I thought you said "don't buy 235/70's if you want to carry a spare wheel!"

What Matters is you have the tyre size that you want that is suitable AND the Spare fits the Wheel Well AND has the same Rolloing Road Dia as the other four - Why because you do not want to damage the Diff when using the spare with unequal size tyres on the same Axle - If the Spare is not the same RRD only use it on the front, so if you blow a rear, swap it with a front and then put the spare on that front.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the advice guys i have just ordered Cooper Cobras 225/70/15 all round, not risking the spare either so ordered one for that too. they are whats on at the minute and worrk well/ fit in the spare holder nicely too. Oponeo were the cheapest online and with a 4% discount code i managed to get all 5 delivered to my local garage for a tad under £500. They wont hurt me too much on the fitting either.