1968 327 - 55 amp or 42 amp alternator

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Hello, I have a 1968 Corvette with its standard 327 / 300hp engine in it etc. I'm thinking of getting a new alternator as I'm not sure about my current one being that happy.

I've looked on RockAuto and there are two alternators for my year and engine:
55 amp one originally for cars WITH AC:

And a 42 amp one originally for cars WITHOUT AC:

My car DOES NOT have A/C fitted. But what I'd like to know is, what would be any downsides of fitting the 55 amp alternator to my car? That is of course assuming the fitment size and screw position etc are all the same, but just higher AMP output.

I'm hoping it will fit fine and be all good - just nicer to have extra ampage just in case, and more importantly the more powerful 55 amp one is fractionally cheaper.

Thanks in advance :)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hello, I have a 1968 Corvette with its standard 327 / 300hp engine in it etc. I'm thinking of getting a new alternator as I'm not sure about my current one being that happy.

I've looked on RockAuto and there are two alternators for my year and engine:
55 amp one originally for cars WITH AC:

And a 42 amp one originally for cars WITHOUT AC:

My car DOES NOT have A/C fitted. But what I'd like to know is, what would be any downsides of fitting the 55 amp alternator to my car? That is of course assuming the fitment size and screw position etc are all the same, but just higher AMP output.

I'm hoping it will fit fine and be all good - just nicer to have extra ampage just in case, and more importantly the more powerful 55 amp one is fractionally cheaper.

Thanks in advance :)

Looking at the parts book they both mount in the same place and the specs on RA are dimensionally the same although the pulley is a slightly different diameter. Just because it has more capacity doesn’t mean it’ll produce more amps, it’ll only deliver the amount the car needs. It’s not a big step so I don’t see an issue with wiring.

I’d just go for the cheaper one.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Thanks, that's what my mind was thinking that it wouldn't matter either way as I suspect the wiring harnesses would be the same "capacity" if the car was A/C (55 amp) or no A/C (42 amp) as why bother making two different wiring harnesses for the same job?