1969 Stingray budget? Advice needed!

Snooz3

Regular user
Hi guys,

New to the forum apologies for diving right into my first question.
It has been a dream of mine to own a Black 1969 T top corvette for some years now. I have just sold my pride and joy (R35 GTR swearing to you guys I know) I needed to free some money up and have a budget of around 25k
Do you think this would be a sufficient budget?

I would like a car that’s not rotten to death I have read the common issues etc and as far as an engine goes I’m guessing I’m not in the money for a 427?

Thanks in an advance guys, the car of my dreams is attached.

D866F24F-95B9-4127-8CD8-C8D09706F260.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
25k should get you a reasonable small block, depends how “nice” you want, but the later you go the nicer the car will be for the money. There’s a few rouges out there. It’d be worth joking the club and when things are better going to a few meets and sharing in the wisdom.

Corvette

Well-known user
The car in your pic has aftermarket Hooker side pipes on but more importantly it has not got 69 front gills on the fenders( vents after before wheels). That’s one thing to avoid. Not many over here and the ones that are for sale are normally in it for profit.

Snooz3

Regular user
The car in your pic has aftermarket Hooker side pipes on but more importantly it has not got 69 front gills on the fenders( vents after before wheels). That’s one thing to avoid. Not many over here and the ones that are for sale are normally in it for profit.

Did not even realise this, thanks for the reply. Would this be a 1970+ that has had the kit fitted then? Also I love the look of those exhausts would be a must for me to have the side pipes whether it be aftermarket or factory option.

Cars being here to make a profit sounds much like the Japanese car importing services that I am much more familiar with. Could you recommend any companies/people that I could deal with that sell clean examples? I have not owned an American car/import before so need to do a hell of a lot more research before taking the plunge, the last thing I want to do is end up with a dog or pay for a desirable model that isn't what it is stated as.

Roscobbc

'68 and '69 Vettes are very similar (with 68's being far rarer) I could always potentially be persuaded away from mine.......

sublimemike

Well-known user
One way to make sure it's a 69 is if it's paint code is Tuxedo Black....one year only. Tri power and pipes - one of the best C3's in my opinion. Correct me Ross if I'm wrong.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Go have a look at a few Vettes and when Covid avails take time to meet up with Members at their monthly Meets and gather some great knowledge - Join the Club to get the best info and deals, oh and get yourself a copy of the "Corvette Black Book" worth every penny.
Best of luck - where in the UK are you based?

turbojet

CCCUK Member
Just looked at that picture, is it my eyes or has that got the wrong front wings.
Looks like the 73 onwards vents as opposed to the gills.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi guys,

New to the forum apologies for diving right into my first question.
It has been a dream of mine to own a Black 1969 T top corvette for some years now. I have just sold my pride and joy (R35 GTR swearing to you guys I know) I needed to free some money up and have a budget of around 25k
Do you think this would be a sufficient budget?

I would like a car that’s not rotten to death I have read the common issues etc and as far as an engine goes I’m guessing I’m not in the money for a 427?

Thanks in an advance guys, the car of my dreams is attached.

View attachment 7900
A newbie myself, I just imported a 72 350 which cost a tad over 26k landed in uk all in. Body off restored , new paint , drivetrain, engine and interior, non matching numbers. A 69 from what I saw when looking would have been nearer30/32k gbp for a similar restoration but plenty of driver cars in good original condition for around 25/35,000 dollars. I didnt want lots of big jobs to do , but wanted one I could do the little things knowing the whole car had been gone through. Three months start to finish but rather nerve racking at times as bought sight unseen . Dont know if I could go through it again although the car is even more special as I sourced it and imported it myself. Wanted a 72 for over 30 years. Good luck with your journey, well worth it , follow your dream 👍

Attachments

• 8B0C06FD-DA1E-4F23-9F58-747DE69EE93A.jpeg
    8B0C06FD-DA1E-4F23-9F58-747DE69EE93A.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 8

Dazaa

Well-known user
Just looked at that picture, is it my eyes or has that got the wrong front wings.
Looks like the 73 onwards vents as opposed to the gills.

Front clip is from a 70-72 car and looks to have aftermarket inserts fitted to mimic 73 onwards. Looks naff compared to the original egg crates but 68/69 gills are the nicest in my opinion.

Snooz3

Regular user
Go have a look at a few Vettes and when Covid avails take time to meet up with Members at their monthly Meets and gather some great knowledge - Join the Club to get the best info and deals, oh and get yourself a copy of the "Corvette Black Book" worth every penny.
Best of luck - where in the UK are you based?

This seems a great idea, I will certainly attend a few once we return to normal. So after a reading a little more what do you think the chances are of me getting a BLACK 70-73 Corvette being as though it has to be re-spray?

They did black in 68. 69 was the only year you could option sidepipes. We love ‘em.

Same question to you fella if you wouldn't mind advising, thank you.

sublimemike

Well-known user
From what I can tell you there are a few that have been resprayed black. They should be cheaper. When you change the colour of a vette it often devalues it if its a chrome bumper car. Also painting fibreglass requires a lot more knowledge / skill than painting metal and you would need to look carefully at the quality of the paint job

Snooz3

Regular user
From what I can tell you there are a few that have been resprayed black. They should be cheaper. When you change the colour of a vette it often devalues it if its a chrome bumper car. Also painting fibreglass requires a lot more knowledge / skill than painting metal and you would need to look carefully at the quality of the paint job

Understood, I am aware of the issues you can have if the car is not painted correctly.
Do you have any ideas where I could pick one up other than the U.K. market? Again sorry for all the questions.

sublimemike

Well-known user
Sounds like you are in a hurry.... your enthusiasm may land you with a dog in shiny paint. Remember these cars are 50 years old. If you want choice and it must be black there are a few on line classic car sites ...can't remember the names, do you want small or big block? Your biggest choice is the states....roll the dice ... I have twice.....what you get is usually not exactly what you expect but I don't mind doing a few jobs and no one can say "Dave used to own that and Jim had it before him" . Or you could try Mecum auctions if you like excitement... they don't take second rate cars in their auctions I think it's fair to say. Safest bet stateside is probably buy from another enthusiast like Mad 4 slalom has done.

Corvette

Well-known user
A small block C3 will be crazy slow compared to your GTR, a test drive is a must. Personally I would stick to “ your dream car” a 68/69 as that’s what you want. There’s never a big choice in UK. Ross‘s white car above with a Genuine 540hp Dig Block is about as quick as you will find, he is toying with selling it. I had a black 68 convertible years ago, trim tag stated white but it never bothered me, still a corvette that made me smile every time I saw it.

Snooz3

Regular user
Sounds like you are in a hurry.... your enthusiasm may land you with a dog in shiny paint. Remember these cars are 50 years old. If you want choice and it must be black there are a few on line classic car sites ...can't remember the names, do you want small or big block? Your biggest choice is the states....roll the dice ... I have twice.....what you get is usually not exactly what you expect but I don't mind doing a few jobs and no one can say "Dave used to own that and Jim had it before him" . Or you could try Mecum auctions if you like excitement... they don't take second rate cars in their auctions I think it's fair to say. Safest bet stateside is probably buy from another enthusiast like Mad 4 slalom has done.

Believe me when I say I’m not in a rush, I respect the money I work hard for and I certainly won’t be spending my money on something I don’t know enough about, that in my eyes is stupidity. I am thinking of getting a small block with some modifications, mainly because of my budget. A big block would’ve been great otherwise.

A small block C3 will be crazy slow compared to your GTR, a test drive is a must. Personally I would stick to “ your dream car” a 68/69 as that’s what you want. There’s never a big choice in UK. Ross‘s white car above with a Genuine 540hp Dig Block is about as quick as you will find, he is toying with selling it. I had a black 68 convertible years ago, trim tag stated white but it never bothered me, still a corvette that made me smile every time I saw it.

If I’m honest I wasn’t expecting the Corvette to feel fast at all in comparison so I am kind of preparing myself for that, anything else is a pleasant surprise. My uncle owned a 69 many many years ago and that’s what introduced me to these cars originally, I absolutely loved it. I also wouldn’t be bothered about the car having a colour change providing the work that had been carried out was done correctly.

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If you want I could put you in touch with my vendor who is a prominent member of corvettes of buffalo, and west ny corvette club. He may know of a car for sale in the spec you require. Having been a lifelong enthusiast and having ground up restored 13 different corvettes he knows his stuff. I bought sight unseen based on the rapore we had built over the few weeks we were discussing my corvette. I had no doubt of his knowledge and his integrity. Also, have a look on “Vettefinders” website that carries adverts listed in year order and has direct numbers to the vendors. Good luck with the hunt 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If you want I could put you in touch with my vendor who is a prominent member of corvettes of buffalo, and west ny corvette club. He may know of a car for sale in the spec you require. Having been a lifelong enthusiast and having ground up restored 13 different corvettes he knows his stuff. I bought sight unseen based on the rapore we had built over the few weeks we were discussing my corvette. I had no doubt of his knowledge and his integrity. Also, have a look on “Vettefinders” website that carries adverts listed in year order and has direct numbers to the vendors. Good luck with the hunt 👍
Just had a look and a good cheap car popped up . 69 in black but someone has painted bottom half silver and made it look like a 78 pace car, paint the bottom black again, stick some rally wheels on it and you would put 2 or 3 k on it instantly and you have a good base for what you are looking for. I would say this is priced low because it has been messed with but easy to reverse imoAF39A551-898D-4E17-AE32-8805D50D1403.png

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Just had a look and a good cheap car popped up . 69 in black but someone has painted bottom half silver and made it look like a 78 pace car, paint the bottom black again, stick some rally wheels on it and you would put 2 or 3 k on it instantly and you have a good base for what you are looking for. I would say this is priced low because it has been messed with but easy to reverse imoView attachment 7932
22500 usd is 17k gbp
That is a cheap 69. I looked at one over here needing everything doing that was 16 and sold quickly. 👍