1974 C3 Questions

James Vette

CCCUK Member
How much are rear split bumpers? The one by Carrot Town Garage has the wrong rear bumper but not a deal breaker. Is it expensive to get the roof rack removed? Not that much of a fan of it to be honest and I wouldn't use it. Would it be an easy switch to change the front and rear badge to the 1977 flags as I like it more than the red dot badge. Thanks!

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I assume this one..
Clicky Linky Thingy >> CTG 74 Corvette

Why would you want the bum crack rear? personally i think the one piece rear is much nicer.
The Trunk rack will leave ugly mounting points. Dunno about the badges, i dont like mine but its not worth the trouble to try to change them.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I assume this one..
Clicky Linky Thingy >> CTG 74 Corvette

Why would you want the bum crack rear? personally i think the one piece rear is much nicer.
The Trunk rack will leave ugly mounting points. Dunno about the badges, i dont like mine but its not worth the trouble to try to change them.
🤣 It doesn't have the black rubber bits. I would want the mounting points removed and fibreglass holes fixed and painted.

Letank

CCCUK Member
How much are rear split bumpers? The one by Carrot Town Garage has the wrong rear bumper but not a deal breaker. Is it expensive to get the roof rack removed? Not that much of a fan of it to be honest and I wouldn't use it. Would it be an easy switch to change the front and rear badge to the 1977 flags as I like it more than the red dot badge. Thanks!
I think the reproduction 74 rear bumpers are single piece with a fake split line down the centre. They’re about £400 + painting. All the usual vendors on here will be able to get them I’m sure.
The luggage racks are only secured using rubber wellnuts and screws so it can be removed easy by unscrewing them. The well nuts will come out too, but you’ll be left with 8 small holes in the rear deck. I’ve seen some people fill them with body coloured trim clips, which look ok from a distance. If you want to remove permanently then you could fill them and respray the area but that would be expensive and also a risk that the holes may be visible if not done properly.
Rear fuel flap badge should be easy as I don’t think 74 even had one. So just drill two holes in lid to fit new badge. Not sure about the front one. I guess it’s possible with some re-drilling of holes, but since the cross flags are smaller you’ll potentially have some signs on the paint from the round badge. All things that can be fixed/improved depending on how fussy you are about the finish.

Last edited:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Personally i would leave all those things well alone and concentrate on the things that need sorting out (but im not you and youre not me).

There appears to be some slight damage on the nose that needs sorting out ..
damage.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I personally don’t mind the split rear cover on the 1974 model it’s unique to that year. Have also always preferred luggage racks on coupes, but not on convertibles. I would not remove one once fitted, and wouldn’t replace a split rear cover. To me it’s a waste of money.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
James, and Nssau65 says, less time worrying about things to change and more time spent getting real knowledge and seeing what a car actually needs. In this case the seller has detailed a lot already, basically finishing what has clearly been a bit of hasty tarting up! Based on your apparent experience, just those listed requirements (it needs all weather seals by the way) would be more than enough for you to deal with, without getting into daft things like changing badges.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
For a nicely sorted example of the same car the seller would be asking twice the price. You need to ask yourself how far down that road you'd be willing to go?

'Twice the price' being more an expression than literal but the point is still valid.
Ive no doubt if this car doesnt sell they will put it on the backburner until they have less work and can do the work required then it will be re-advertised at 'twice the price'.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Have also always preferred luggage racks on coupes, but not on convertibles. I would not remove one once fitted.

Yes, i wouldnt look for a car with the rack fitted but as you say, if its on there it can stay, its a nice period correct relic of times gone by.
In them there days you would save up and buy a motorcycle, then start dating and bolt a sidecar on (for weekends away with her suitcase), then get a pay rise and trade in the outfit for a sports car with a rack.
I think i might be tempted to buy a battered vintage leather suitcase and strap it on (with nothing in it) just for the look.