2021 Sat 28th August Steam n Gasoline Rushden Northants

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Wanted Hot Rods, Dragsters & Yanks For display at the all new one day show on Saturday 28th August.
STEAM N GASOLINE Hot Rod and Custom Bike Show, being held at the Rushden Historic Transport Museum , Rushden, NN10 0FW.
Free entry to all show cars inc driver and passenger.
Food Court, Bar, Music and Trophies all within this great new venue after it has undergone a remarkable refurbishment.
Anyone wishing to display please email steamngasoline@gmail.com or call 07597 300422 for more details.

Not really a cut off date as such as long as its classic or modified which is why although its free to enter its pre entry only.
Love to have your C3 there and yes if you want to ask the Classic Corvette Club if anyone is interested that would be great.
There are 2 areas for display inside the Loco Shed and outside some of which is under a large overhang.
I expect a display of Corvettes under the overhang would look great.

And just across the road, the Rushden Historic Transport Museum Sausage and Cider Festival
(hopefully their real Ale bar will be open as well if you dont like Cider)

Anyone up for this one?

Steam n Gasoline.jpg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sounds like they have had some major upgrades since I last visited which was years and years ago . I may well give that a punt . (y)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Sounds like a fun show, alas, over 3 and a half hours away from me apparently, longer in the Vette as I don't drive it fast on motorways. So I think I'll have to pass thanks.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Sounds like a fun show, alas, over 3 and a half hours away from me apparently, longer in the Vette as I don't drive it fast on motorways. So I think I'll have to pass thanks.

Its a very small show... its quite central though (if you grant Cornwall and Wales Independence and declare Cumbria, Northumberland & Durham a Buffer Zone).

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I was going and they wanted my car on display inside the old railway goods shed but I have pulled out now . It is a very small site in the middle of Rushden ( a yard basically ) on the side of John Clark Way . The old railway station is on the opposite side of the road with a small museum and tea shop . It is advertised as a hot rods and motor bikes event . I pulled out because I didn`t know how I could possibly keep myself occupied for a couple of hours never mind all day as they want you in by 9.30 am if displaying .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
You could drink Cider and eat Sausages for six hours. o_O:sick::LOL:
I would need Cider Goggles to make Rushden look attractive for six hours ! The problem would then be how to get home without being drunk at the wheel . 🤣
I am going to Stony Stratford Classic on Sunday instead . The problem with that will be the traffic on the A5 as the A43 is closed due to the Moto GP at Silverstone . Just come back from the workshop in the Corvette and Towcester is grid locked already and the barmy biker brigade are on the loose ! :mad:

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Car of the day for me was this V8 Pilot.. i must be getting old, choosing a standard classic over all the Rods & Muscle..
101_0180.JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Remember enthusing over them as a kid because V8`s were a rare thing on UK roads back in those days . Was there much to see at the show ?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think the lure and glamour of a V8 is what attracted many people to a American car. That and the size/styling and the various electrical options many models had. Of course they were expensive to purchase new over here, plenty of pop stars drove “yanks” ( cliff Richard was a confirmed yank man, Adam Faith, Diana Dors to name a few) but once a few years old could be purchased quite reasonably. They supply of Ex serviceman’s vehicle was plentiful. They were soo different from our home grown cars. To a certain extent, a lot of flash for a little cash.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
Was there much to see at the show ?

It was ok for a first attempt.. it can only get bigger. They are planning more.
I spent most of the time outside chatting to friendly people.
The Jalapeno Sausage and Pint of real ale for lunch on the station platform were most excellent.
Walked up to the end of the line and was a bit disappointed that they still havent started the Higham Ferrers extension on the original track bed up the hill, if they want to be taken seriously as a heritage line they need to do that (as long time planned).
101_0177 (2).JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I can`t imagine it can get too big as they have so little space on the site but good luck to them for trying . I was surprised to read on their website that they had extentend the demonsteration line by as much as half a mile !! I guess lack of funding is a big issue for them to extend to Higham Ferrers and probably a shortage of volunteers with the necessary skills too . Even the big well established heritage railways suffer from that .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Forgot to ask , were they running the Industrial 0-4-0 tank loco or was there no steam to go with the gasoline ?

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I was surprised to read on their website that they had extended the demonstration line by as much as half a mile !!

Unfortunately its not as impressive as it sounds...
They originally had about 1/4 mile (phase 1) up to the disused three arch bridge over the line. In 2011 they extended that by just under 1/4 mile (phase 2) to the start of the Prospect Avenue Houses and the big modern warehouse. Thats where it ends currently (just under 1/2 mile total length)
They planned a further 1/4 mile extension (phase 3) for 2015 to go up the hill to Ferrers School but it still hasnt happened. A lot of overgrowth clearance on the track bed was done but its all grown back now.
Phase 4 will take them up to where the original Higham Ferrers station and goods yard were.

No trains running at the weekend.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A bit of a con then ?? No steam but adevertised as " Steam & Gasoline" . Definitely glad I didn`t go .