Other classic cars

antijam

CCCUK Member
I love the work of Canadian Bruce McCall. His satirical cartoons on the excesses of American car design - and advertising - are wonderful....

Image (2)-001.jpg

Who wouldn't want a '57 Fireblimp? :love:

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’ve always loved the Oldsmobile cutlass. Used one as my personal car for nearly 10 years, sold it on a whim when I stopped using it. Regretted it the day after I sold it. Tried to buy it back. No luck .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I’ve always loved the Oldsmobile cutlass. Used one as my personal car for nearly 10 years, sold it on a whim when I stopped using it. Regretted it the day after I sold it. Tried to buy it back. No luck .

I had a Cutlass 4 4 2 in late 1960s, nice performance but the engine was a real pig in winter weather and if not having an electric coolant heater to keep the block warmer the engine would not even turn fast enough to start below like 20 F deg weather and with wind chill like -20 F deg would not even grunt

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Zora Arkus-Duntov loved to drive FAST

Zora Arkus-Duntov accompanies the 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport coupes to Nassau Speed Week in December 1963.

In 2014, the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray triumphantly returned as a paragon of American performance vehicles
. The design of this vehicle has a storied past, but even enthusiasts might be surprised at some of the twists within the narrative.

The clean lines of the new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray belie its complex origins.
The name “Stingray,” or “Sting Ray” as it was written in 1963, evokes an immediate connection to predatory fish of the ocean. Indeed, two concept Corvettes shared the namesake of a Mako Shark caught by Bill Mitchell, Vice President of Design at General Motors, (1958-1977).

In 1957, Mitchell gave some initial instruction to his team that included a challenge to create a car that was, “a complete breakaway from what we've seen around here in the past.
” The resulting concept sketches depicted vehicles that departed from the rounded forms of the 1940s and 50s.

The team of designers in Mitchell's “Research Studio B” included Bob Veryzer, Chuck Pohlman, Norm Neumann and nineteen-year-old Peter Brock, a young designer in 1957. Brock answered the challenge with a sketch that was selected by Bill Mitchell for further development.

The design foreshadowed many of the trademark elements of the 1963 Sting Ray. The direct inspiration taken from Brock's sketch, however, would be seen in the 1959 Stingray Racer XP-87.
Larry Shinoda would create the final design of the XP-87, and in turn, the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray.

In Brock's recently published book, Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon, the current GM Vice President of Design, Ed Welburn, recalls the impact the 1963 Corvette Sting Ray had on him, “Around the bend came a 1963 Corvette Sting Ray Split-Window Coupe – its red exterior and red interior captured my imagination, and remains etched into my mind to this day.”

By 1964 the ‘split rear window’ had been dispensed with, but in large part the famous design created by Mitchell's team lived on until 1967. Their success and the progeny of the second generation Corvettes would solidify the model's place in American automotive history.

63_Corvette_Grand_Sport.jpg

Last edited: