68/69 grill query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, a question for 68/69. Owners, … i am sure i have seen 68/69 ‘s , some with 3 shark gill vents and some with 4, is this a year thing or a small block, big block thing or possibly a one model thing . Any ideas? Thanks.
just curious👍

Letank

CCCUK Member
0CB8A177-5CB7-4B3D-BBF3-5A0DCD963A43.jpegFour gills on each side from the factory. As Ross says, the rearmost one is blanked. The trims were optional, but only in 69 iirc.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
One of the 'gills' (rearmost one) is a blank - no aperture behind it. 68' didn't have the chrome trim on the gills either as standard.
I didn't know that - my 68 has the chrome trims on the gills, so I guess one of its previous American owners must have fitted them.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I wouldn’t object to a 1968 corvette having the stingray fender script and the gill inserts.

I think the gill inserts are probably a more popular addition.

1968 convertible with gill inserts added. What’s not to like.
83198A93-BF37-4CF1-96EE-B4C4E05BFEF2.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Mine wasn't ever a Stingray - it's a Corvette
Interesting line of thought here, do you consider the first of the C3 Corvettes ie 1968 model ( as they are referred to now ) as a Stingray.? That said, what about the 1977-1982 model C3’s.

Corvette

Well-known user
Interesting line of thought here, do you consider the first of the C3 Corvettes ie 1968 model ( as they are referred to now ) as a Stingray.? That said, what about the 1977-1982 model C3’s.
They are obviously all Corvette’s, I normally call all of them a Corvette whatever year never referring to the year specific models as a Stingray nor a mid year as a Sting Ray.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I tend to call mid years sting Rays, all others ( up to 1982) corvettes or sometimes corvette stingrays. 1984 and newer just corvettes.