72 C3 Pedal Box Question

TimP

CCCUK Member
I am in the process of rebuilding the pedal box which, like the rest of the is heavily corroded. It's a little difficult to work out how it should all fit together and the Factory Assembly Manual in this case does not seem to have enough detail for me to work out what goes where. So I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with....

The pedal box attaches to the bulkhead by the brake booster and also with 4 bolts to the wiper well. I think there should be a reinforcement plate in the wiper well - on my car I can just see a rusty shadow of what used to be there but it has rusted completely away. The heads of the bolts and most of the threads have completely rotted away (see pic 2). I have made a replacement as they don't seem to available to buy (see pic 1).

PB-Reinforcement 1.JPG

My question is: should there be a reinforcement plate on the other side of the wiper well wall? (ie on the passenger compartment side). In the second pic there seems to be too much rust just to be from the pedal box and I was wondering if there should be a reinforcement plate here too.
PB-Reinforcement 2.JPG

Any help would be appreciated!

antijam

CCCUK Member
......My question is: should there be a reinforcement plate on the other side of the wiper well wall? (ie on the passenger compartment side). In the second pic there seems to be too much rust just to be from the pedal box and I was wondering if there should be a reinforcement plate here too.

This pic would suggest not.

TimP

CCCUK Member
Hi Oneball, thanks for taking the time to check - that’s good to know.

Hi Antijam, thanks for posting that picture but I think that’s the other end of the pedal box which goes to the brake booster - the hole in the middle is for the brake pedal push rod. To be honest I’m a bit confused by the picture because on my pedal box the studs it shows should come out the back of the brake booster and not the other way around - perhaps it’s a different design or maybe i’m reading it wrong.

johng

CCCUK Member
Tim, not sure if my 78 is exactly the same as a 72, but it does look very similar. My car is away at the painters at the moment so I can't look at it, but going through my old photos I'm pretty sure there is no plate on the inside.

TimP

CCCUK Member
That's brilliant - thanks very much for the confirmation.

I now also understand the diagram that antijam sent as well - that was for a car with non-power brakes - but it also confirms that an internal reinforcement plate is not required.

Many thanks for all responses!