78 Diff oil

Rich

Administrator
Hi Colin.

A very warm welcome and thank you for joining the Club.

I will have to defer to those far more knowledgeable than me to answer your question. Someone will no doubt be along soon.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Ideally, GM's own! :) But, a good 80w gear oil will do. I use Millers Classic 85w Mineral Gear oil in mine.

The key thing is the GM limited slip additive, which you must add. You can buy that from a number of places, but I use Corvette Kingdom. For a refill of the diff, the consensus now is two bottles of additive and then add the diff oil to fill.

There is no drain hole on a '78 diff, so if changing (which is recommended) you'll need to pump it out with something like a hand drill driven pump.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Welcome to the jovial world of CCCUK . As Kentvette said , do a full drain and oil change then you have a new starting point you know about . If you can`t get a hand driven pump a heavy duty syringe with a neoprene tube might do it but you will need plenty of pulling power ! The LSD additive is crucial as Kentvette says and you must find a quiet car park or other area asap after the refill and do 8 to 10 figure of eight turns to get the LSD lubed up properly . Happy C3 motoring and post us all some pics .

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
Ideally, GM's own! :) But, a good 80w gear oil will do. I use Millers Classic 85w Mineral Gear oil in mine.

The key thing is the GM limited slip additive, which you must add. You can buy that from a number of places, but I use Corvette Kingdom. For a refill of the diff, the consensus now is two bottles of additive and then add the diff oil to fill.

There is no drain hole on a '78 diff, so if changing (which is recommended) you'll need to pump it out with something like a hand drill driven pump.
Cheers i have the additive but was unsure about the oil as i read some say 75w and others 85w so cheers for the heads up

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
Welcome to the jovial world of CCCUK . As Kentvette said , do a full drain and oil change then you have a new starting point you know about . If you can`t get a hand driven pump a heavy duty syringe with a neoprene tube might do it but you will need plenty of pulling power ! The LSD additive is crucial as Kentvette says and you must find a quiet car park or other area asap after the refill and do 8 to 10 figure of eight turns to get the LSD lubed up properly . Happy C3 motoring and post us all some pics .
Cheers Chuffer, i will post some pics soon, just about to take the body off so be a while before i can do any figure 8's ☺

johng

CCCUK Member
If your taking the body off, then how about starting a thread showing us what you are doing. Now that I've got my car back together again I wish I had created a single thread showing what I had done, it would have been useful to re-visit to remind myself of exactly what I did! More importantly, I'm sure several of us would enjoy reading it.

C1CKS

CCCUK Member
If your taking the body off, then how about starting a thread showing us what you are doing. Now that I've got my car back together again I wish I had created a single thread showing what I had done, it would have been useful to re-visit to remind myself of exactly what I did! More importantly, I'm sure several of us would enjoy reading it.
Will do, just waiting for a space in my shop so i can have room for the body and i will then start posting some pics ☺