A Little Trivia

N

Norm

• Just hours before the Corvette’s debut at the Motorama show in New York, the logo was changed because............?

kentvette

CCCUK Member
......It was not legal to use the US flag in a "commercial "application. I think it was replaced by the "Fleur de Lys-and-Chevy-Bowtie" flag, using the Louis Chevrolet French/Swiss conection

N

Norm

Who are these folks?

Larry Shinoda, Bill Mitchell, Bob McLean, Jerry Palmer and Ed Cole.

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Never got to meet Zora, but did meet Elfi, and in fact had a card from her after Zora's passing.... We have met the two Daves a few times. Dave M is very charismatic of course, and very interested in everyone's Corvette. We had a long chat with him when he signed a large format photo of our '78 at Bowling Green (couldn't take the car for hime to sign!) as he was fascinated in the license plates of the UK. (The 78 model was the first model year that he had been "Chief" for in its entirety) We met Dave H in the US and over here at Le Mans a few times. In his early days a Cheif Engineer, people were a little dissapointed in his "quiet" style, especially after Dave McLellan, but we found him charming and a real car guy. I recall we saw him in what we think was his own Vette at Pacific Grove during Monterey Week, just "hanging out" with other car guys with all sorts f different cars.

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Yes, they were indeed the first three Corvette Chief Engineers. In the above photo, Dave McLellan (on the left - Chief Engineer #2) and Dave Hill (on the right - Chief Engineer #3) had their hands on Zora Arkus-Duntov (Chief Engineer #1...the godfather of the Corvette). I had the pleasure of meeting Zora and his wife Elfi in London, Ontario Canada in the early 1980s. Wonderful people who had plenty of time for regular folks.

Here's Elfi driving her own 1955 Corvette, many, many years ago.
Elfi-Duntov-1955Corvette.jpg

67HEAVEN

Well-known user
Who are these folks?

Larry Shinoda, Bill Mitchell, Bob McLean, Jerry Palmer and Ed Cole.

Norm, I'll limit my response to one, in order to give others an opportunity. I chose Jerry Palmer (at one time head of design for Chevrolet) to identify because I personally drove one of his most iconic designs...the Aerovette. Where? When?...you may well ask.

Niagara Falls Ontario Canada in 1982. As Convention Chairman, I had the privilege of driving both the Aerovette and Bill Mitchell's Stingray Racer. Here, we are placing them (and five others) inside the hotel ballroom for the Saturday evening banquet. (poor quality as this is a photocopy of a printed page). To say that I was nervous moving these GM-owned concept vehicles this way would be an understatement. ;)

1982Convention-ramp-a.jpg

1982Convention-p1.jpg

Where did those 37 years go?

N

Norm

Where'd they go? I keep wondering myself.
Short answer for question, all had a hand in the development of the Corvette and continued support to keep the brand alive.