American Racing 20"

LolHare

Regular user
I'm looking at some of the American Racing wheels in 20" for my C3, the Boss look extremely nice, has anyone had any experiences with these please?
What's the best tyre size as not to rub etc, I'm told the recommended sizes are 235/40/20 but I've seen as big as 265/30/20 which certainly fill the arches better but maybe use spacers?
Are there any mods needed at all?
Thanks in advance

Roscobbc

I'm looking at some of the American Racing wheels in 20" for my C3, the Boss look extremely nice, has anyone had any experiences with these please?
What's the best tyre size as not to rub etc, I'm told the recommended sizes are 235/40/20 but I've seen as big as 265/30/20 which certainly fill the arches better but maybe use spacers?
Thanks in advance
Best person to ask on here is Vaughan Watkins. Has a '76? Which he fitted with ARE 5 20" spokes over 10 years ago.....known also for his pro mod style C2 coupe (which also runs 20" wheels).......having said that I haven't seen him on these pages (or our FB pages) for quite a while. I'm running 18"s on mine.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You did not mention what the width of the 20-inch rims are, which is needed for a compare as to clearances and if a back spacer is
needed or what the offset of the new rims are

Use the Differences in the compare of tires sizes below

You will have to determine, best is after new wheels/tires installed is go for a drive with a GPS that shows
MPH and compare that then with what the speedo shows and if not matching is needing to replace the gear at end of speedo
cable and/or the one in the tranny to get the speedo to report correctly

Looking at the rev/mile difference would give an idea if speedo would be off and by how much

tiresz2.jpg

tiresz.jpg

Last edited:

LolHare

Regular user
Best person to ask on here is Vaughan Watkins. Has a '76? Which he fitted with ARE 5 20" spokes over 10 years ago.....known also for his pro mod style C2 coupe (which also runs 20" wheels).......having said that I haven't seen him on these pages (or our FB pages) for quite a while. I'm running 18"s on mine.
Thanks, 20 x 8.5 are
Thanks 20 x 8.5 are the ones listed, do you know what Vaughan's user name is on here to ask him please?

Roscobbc

Sorry can't recall Vaughan's username. Be prepared for a rough ride on poor urban and rural road surfaces. Potholes are potential disaster waiting to happen. Motorways and A roads once past 40 or 50 mph are fine. You'll corner far better and firmer.

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Thanks in advance
I've got American thrust racing wheels on my c3,,with 255/70/15,you will need very low profile tyres to fit the arch with 20s

Attachments

• IMG-20220508-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220508-WA0001.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 7

Roscobbc

The largest practical size you can use on the rear without modifications I think you'll find is a 285/30/20. That will be very close to original oem tyre diameter. And, yes the tyre fills a disproportionate amount of space within the fender - so measurements are essential.

Last edited:

Vaughan watkins

CCCUK Member
Thanks, 20 x 8.5 are

Thanks 20 x 8.5 are the ones listed, do you know what Vaughan's user name is on here to ask him please?
Hi guys I’m here lol
I’ll have to check as I’m sure on my 75 I have 8.5” wide and my 66 has 8” wide, for the life of me I can’t recall the tyre sizes but will check later, they do 2 different offsets depending on whether you plan on lowering it, I went with them slightly In so I could lower my car, if you call North Hants Tyres in aldershot and speak to James he will have alll the info you need as they supplied both of mine and tyres 0D7A7A41-1561-496F-B638-545FECBE4317.jpeg8C5FC5C4-4346-4262-ABFE-6CE5423508F8.jpeg

Attachments

• 56AD743F-BE9B-4460-8A56-8A3D01C21AAA.jpeg
    56AD743F-BE9B-4460-8A56-8A3D01C21AAA.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3C82658C-6027-4DAB-91E8-78E9A2D05942.jpeg
    3C82658C-6027-4DAB-91E8-78E9A2D05942.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 20

Budgie

CCCUK Member
Hi guys I’m here lol
I’ll have to check as I’m sure on my 75 I have 8.5” wide and my 66 has 8” wide, for the life of me I can’t recall the tyre sizes but will check later, they do 2 different offsets depending on whether you plan on lowering it, I went with them slightly In so I could lower my car, if you call North Hants Tyres in aldershot and speak to James he will have alll the info you need as they supplied both of mine and tyres View attachment 17040View attachment 17041
Lovely looking and colour c3,,and that size wheel really sets it off,,got me thinking,lol,this my c3 with 15s

Attachments

• IMG-20220508-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220508-WA0002.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 13

LolHare

Regular user
Hi guys I’m here lol
I’ll have to check as I’m sure on my 75 I have 8.5” wide and my 66 has 8” wide, for the life of me I can’t recall the tyre sizes but will check later, they do 2 different offsets depending on whether you plan on lowering it, I went with them slightly In so I could lower my car, if you call North Hants Tyres in aldershot and speak to James he will have alll the info you need as they supplied both of mine and tyres View attachment 17040View attachment 17041
Hi Vaughan, did you manage to take a look and see what size tyres you were running on the 20s please?
And are you sure they're 8.5?
They certainly look fantastic, you also mentioned about lowering the car,did you do so if so how?
Sorry for all the questions...Thanks Lawrence

Roscobbc

With larger diameter wheels you'll need to check ends of rear sway bar for clearances (if fitted). Trick trailing arms are not needed as the inner limitation on how much of an 'inset' your wheels can have with large diameter wheels is the rear chassis 'kick-over' the axle assembly. 18", 19" and 20" low profile tyres have a much 'squarer' section when mounted on the rim than 15"s and can have clearance issues on front of chassis 'kick-up'. Parking brake cable retainers need to be moved to top of trailing arm.

LolHare

Regular user
Hi guys I’m here lol
Vaughan,did you ever manage to see what size tyres you're running on the C3 please?
Apologies for the bump

Roscobbc

Might be worthwhile looking at future availabilty of 20" tyres. I chose to run with 18" wheels some 10/12 years ago, even though 20's were available........my logic was to use tyre sizes that were currently used on vehicles then on sale........reasoning was - future availabilty. Accordingly my fronts (255/45/18) are a size used on the front of a TVR model. The rears, 285/40/18 were the same as used on one of the 'blown Jags. Some 10/12 years later this size has become scarce - still available from a couple of premium tyre brands (at an elevated price) but seemingly replaced now with a 275/40/18 or perhaps 275/35/18. TBH the 275/40/18 is a logical replacement - lots of manufacturers make it, its half the price of the limited availability 285/40/18 and the 275 is less than 1/2" narrower and 'shorter' in terms of height as I do have exhaust clearance issue.
So bottom line - do your research carfully.

LolHare

Regular user
Hi guys I’m here lol
Any advice on the tyre size of those 20''s please Vaughan and any specs on exact wheel size please as I don't plan on lowering it ?
Much appreciated

Roscobbc

I was looking on North Hants Tyres a few days ago and noticed that they stock the Galaxy 275/40/18 tyre at a price way, way lower than some of the big name tyres (£104.50 + vat) and even less than some stock sized 15" rubber.

Last edited:

Letank

CCCUK Member
Any advice on the tyre size of those 20''s please Vaughan and any specs on exact wheel size please as I don't plan on lowering it ?
Much appreciated
I have a set of 20x8’s that came off a C2 and they are running 235/35R20s. I’m fairly sure Vaughan’s C2 has the exact same tyres and size from North Hants but I’m not sure about his C3. The 235/35R20 is a slightly smaller diameter than the stock 225/70R15s on a C3, so you could go for 225/40R20s but these seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the lower profile 35’s. Depending on the year of your C3 if you go too much wider then you might have issues on steering lock and/or interference with the parking brake cable bracket on the rear swing arms.
Rim wise, mine are American Racing Torq Thrust 2, 5x120.65 stud fitment, 8 inch wide, ET0 offset (4.5 inch backspace).
I haven’t got around to fitting them to my C3 yet so unfortunately I don’t have any fitment pics.
Pic of them on the C2:
A257CCEE-CA05-4CF3-98BF-5A73BA1A2D48.jpeg