Anti Theft/Vats issue

Flyafts

New user
Can someone offer a possible solution.
I have just bought my first Corvette expecting to have a few problems with it and sure enough, I do. It's a 1990 convertable C4. I picked it up in North Hampton and drove it to my maintenence garage in East Anglia for a complete service and inspection. About 75 miles. Since it was a bank holiday, I locked the doors and left it out front and phoned a taxi. Prior to the arrival of the taxi, I decided to unlock the driver's door to retrieve something. Alas, my problem begins! The alarm went off and continued for about 10 minutes letting everyone in the village know that I had no clue about this car. I tried evrything I could think of. i.e. putting the key in the ignition and attempting to start it, relocking and opening the doors etc.. No go as the starter would not engage and the security light would not extinguish. after a while it quit but would still not turn over. The security light remained on. So I locked it again and left. When my maintenance guy unlocked the door the next morning, the same thing happend again. The alarm went off and the car won't start. And has not started since. I phoned the outfit where I purchased the car and they said they had had this problem once before. They said that they simply disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and that fixed it. However, they never tried locking the doors again! We tried that as well and no joy whatsoever. I have a feeling that we are missing something like a very simple solution. The car had sat for several months before I bought it but I find it very hard to believe that the very moment I unlocked the doors for the first time the Antitheft/Vats system had a hard fail. If it did, how in the world can I determine that once and for all. The chip in the key seems to test OK with an Ohms meter. I have found a couple of methods to bypass the security system on the internet but I'm worried about burning something up and of course, I think this car is really worth nicking so I'd rather not disable the security system permanently.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TH

Redlevel

Well-known user
Thats an odd one... Try the C4 Corvette problems/fixes group on Fb.. They are a good source.
Good luck..

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Refer to the owners manual and look at the Passive Keyless .Entry section

1. Is the system set to passive or not ? change passive off and on and see if problem goes away
  2. Have you tested the fob's battery ?
  3. Does it look like a stock Corvette Fob ?
  4. Have you tried using the fob to lock and unlock the doors and security ?
  5. Does the security light on dash flash when door is open ?
  6. Being you have a ragtop check to see if one antenna is located in the driver's door and one- is located in the passenger's -door as range to fob is about 7 feet
Transmitter Range Suggestions:

The range of the Passive Keyless Entry system is very dependent on bow the transmitter is held.
For optimum range and performance, hold the transmitter vertically when approaching the vehicle.
If the range gradually decreases over time even though the transmitter is held vertically, change the battery in
the transmitter

Turning the Passive Keyless Entry System Off

1, Take the keys out of the-ignition.
2. Hold the DOOR button on the transmitter for longer than two seconds.
3: The: system will signal the shut-off by cycling the locks from lock to unlock.

To make sure the PKE system is off, turn the ignition on and look for the PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light on the Driver Information Center
if the PKE system Is on, the light will come on for-two seconds.
If the system off, the light will not come on.

lovejoy

Regular user
Hi Flyafts, PM sent :)
(there is NO "keyless passive entrance system" on a 1990 Vette.)
- or a battery in the key ! just a simple resistor....

Last edited:

Flyafts

New user
Refer to the owners manual and look at the Passive Keyless .Entry section

1. Is the system set to passive or not ? change passive off and on and see if problem goes away
  2. Have you tested the fob's battery ?
  3. Does it look like a stock Corvette Fob ?
  4. Have you tried using the fob to lock and unlock the doors and security ?
  5. Does the security light on dash flash when door is open ?
  6. Being you have a ragtop check to see if one antenna is located in the driver's door and one- is located in the passenger's -door as range to fob is about 7 feet
Transmitter Range Suggestions:

The range of the Passive Keyless Entry system is very dependent on bow the transmitter is held.
For optimum range and performance, hold the transmitter vertically when approaching the vehicle.
If the range gradually decreases over time even though the transmitter is held vertically, change the battery in
the transmitter

Turning the Passive Keyless Entry System Off

1, Take the keys out of the-ignition.
2. Hold the DOOR button on the transmitter for longer than two seconds.
3: The: system will signal the shut-off by cycling the locks from lock to unlock.

To make sure the PKE system is off, turn the ignition on and look for the PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light on the Driver Information Center
if the PKE system Is on, the light will come on for-two seconds.
If the system off, the light will not come on.
Ok,
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the email.
TH