Any Thoughts on this C3

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi There, thanks for your views and opinions so far they are much appreciated. I have seen another one im considering making a trip to look at at the weekend. its a long way away for me best part of 4 hours. ive asked the vendor to send me some more pics of the history and a walkround with it up and running which should arrive soon. Its had some engine mods done to it that im not fullly understanding so if any light can be shed on those id appreciate it. Thanks again guys. Adam

Roscobbc

Looks 'sharp' - an interior is expensive - good tht it has new calipers - questions that perhaps need asking.
Forged high comp pistons Dart heads Fast road cam Roller rockers - Dart heads are good - what is the comp ratio?
Fast road cam Roller rockers - what are the cam spec's (perhaps related to comp ratio/rear end ratio/torque converter)
Edelbrock torker 2 inlet manifold - far from being the best inlet manifold (but fits under stock height hood) Torker 2 is single plane - you'll do better with dual plane .
Holly 650 cfm double pumper carburettor - better off with vac secondaries (unless you have a very high numerical ratio rear end) and /or can keep your foot out of the loud pedal.
Period full exhaust manifolds and side pipes - look nice - sound nice (to anyone outside the car) car be tiring inside - don't wear shorts or a skirt.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Looks 'sharp' - an interior is expensive - good tht it has new calipers - questions that perhaps need asking.
Forged high comp pistons Dart heads Fast road cam Roller rockers - Dart heads are good - what is the comp ratio?
Fast road cam Roller rockers - what are the cam spec's (perhaps related to comp ratio/rear end ratio/torque converter)
Edelbrock torker 2 inlet manifold - far from being the best inlet manifold (but fits under stock height hood) Torker 2 is single plane - you'll do better with dual plane .
Holly 650 cfm double pumper carburettor - better off with vac secondaries (unless you have a very high numerical ratio rear end) and /or can keep your foot out of the loud pedal.
Period full exhaust manifolds and side pipes - look nice - sound nice (to anyone outside the car) car be tiring inside - don't wear shorts or a skirt.
Thanks (again), I thought someone would know the tech stuff. Unfortunately the guys selling the car, nice as they are don't really know much about the engine modifications so im probably drawing dead asking the questions. I was just checking that someone hadn't just bolted on a load of bits that wouldn't work together. Maybe I could contact the shop and ask them to contact the seller then in turn ask him/her to call me. On the side pipes im not sure whether I like or don't, more important is finding a nice clean example I think. Also I only wear a skirt on a Friday when out on the town so no worries there
:)

Jack Cooper

Well-known user
Worth a look, I'd say. There are some after-market items, as I'm sure you appreciate, e.g. rear view mirrors, wheels, exhaust (!), rocker covers, and air filter cover.
Is that a crack in the windscreen low on the driver's side?
I see it has one of the 'old gold' CCCUK membership decals, which is interesting..... not sure when they stopped issuing them but it must've been late '90s or early 2000s (I expect someone on here can put us straight). Perhaps a previous owner is still in the Club and can provide info on the car.
From the pix, I'd say it's been re-trimmed and re-painted; seats didn't leave the factory with red stitching as far as I know, and I THINK the red is not an original GM color. I acknowledge that that probably won't bother you.
J.C. (1911)

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Engine mods and side pipes are not really my thing, so can't help you there. But, it looks as though (and I may wrong), the windscreen has a crack in it, lower left, running across the old CCCUK sticker? That would be something I'd personally be very concerned about.....

Edit: Ooops! I see Jack beat me to it with the crack!

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I did notice the crack earlier today when I was having a look at the pics, when you say concerned is this just that theres a crack there which means new windshield or that it could be something more serious?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I would say definitely worth a look . OK so its not original spec but it depends what your requirements are . There must be a lot of modded C3`s out there and it looks a nice example on the face of it . Candy Apple Red will be a custom job respray it that was a fave colour with the Hot Rodders and really ` pops` in the sun and looks well with period style Craeger Mag wheels . Interior looks nice and almost certainly an after market upgrade but compliments the exterior . Check thosethoseJust be sure to check out all potential trouble spots we have already identified . Make sure the `bird cage ` is sound and no rot causing flexing which might have caused windscreen crack . If car sound at least use getting the windscreen replaced as a bargaining point as it won`t be cheap :eek:
I run an Edelbrock Torker 2 in my car which has a replacement Camaro IROC -Z higher compression engine coupled with a Holley 750 cfm 4 Barrel Double Pumper with vacuum secondaries without problems . It just needs to be given some beans a bit to reduce bog down as it`s street performance set up that needs some revs . Just adds to the fun :D . As Rosscobc said , the Torker 2 is a single plain inlet manifold and is a performance mod for a wide range of V8`s for street use with limited hood clearance . It gives a flatter peak torque curve than standard thus giving maximum torque for a longer period in the engine revs range before the inevitable power `drop off` occours . It`s the torque that gives the best accelleration , not the bhp . Side pipes will be loud especially exiting right by yer earhole !! Check those lower control arm mount brackets I mentioned before for cracks at the weld joint to chassis cross member . I have attached a photo of mine now double welded for extra strength . You will see them by peering down in between engine a rad but drivers side one more difficult to see as power steering pump in the way . Best seen from underneath with car on a lift.DSCF2449.JPGDSCF2449.JPGDSCF2451.JPG

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I would say definitely worth a look . OK so its not original spec but it depends what your requirements are . There must be a lot of modded C3`s out there and it looks a nice example on the face of it . Candy Apple Red will be a custom job respray it that was a fave colour with the Hot Rodders and really ` pops` in the sun and looks well with period style Craeger Mag wheels . Interior looks nice and almost certainly an after market upgrade but compliments the exterior . Check thosethoseJust be sure to check out all potential trouble spots we have already identified . Make sure the `bird cage ` is sound and no rot causing flexing which might have caused windscreen crack . If car sound at least use getting the windscreen replaced as a bargaining point as it won`t be cheap :eek:
I run an Edelbrock Torker 2 in my car which has a replacement Camaro IROC -Z higher compression engine coupled with a Holley 750 cfm 4 Barrel Double Pumper with vacuum secondaries without problems . It just needs to be given some beans a bit to reduce bog down as it`s street performance set up that needs some revs . Just adds to the fun :D . As Rosscobc said , the Torker 2 is a single plain inlet manifold and is a performance mod for a wide range of V8`s for street use with limited hood clearance . It gives a flatter peak torque curve than standard thus giving maximum torque for a longer period in the engine revs range before the inevitable power `drop off` occours . It`s the torque that gives the best accelleration , not the bhp . Side pipes will be loud especially exiting right by yer earhole !! Check those lower control arm mount brackets I mentioned before for cracks at the weld joint to chassis cross member . I have attached a photo of mine now double welded for extra strength . You will see them by peering down in between engine a rad but drivers side one more difficult to see as power steering pump in the way . Best seen from underneath with car on a lift.View attachment 6738View attachment 6738View attachment 6739
Thanks, all good advice appreciated. Checking the birdcage for rot is a thing im a little scared about as im not really sure exactly what im looking at even if i can get access to the areas to examine hopefully ill get it right

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thanks, all good advice appreciated. Checking the birdcage for rot is a thing im a little scared about as im not really sure exactly what im looking at even if i can get access to the areas to examine hopefully ill get it right

If bird cage rot is significant you'll be able to see rust looking from the outside at the sides of the windscreen. Another good check is to remove (or ask the seller to) the kick panels at the side of the footwells. The panels are only held on with I think one screw and can easily be removed after lifting the sill plates (a few more screws). Surface rust is almost inevitable, but if you find something like this....

DSCN0305.JPG

... I'd walk away.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
On my car 1980 you don`t even have to remove the cill plates to take the carpet trimmed kick plates off but they are only a 5 minute job anyway . Look up bird cage and all these other things on internet , there is loads of stuff on USA forums , YouTube etc .

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
One way to check rust at the bottom of the windscreen. Open the door fully and lift. If the door moves but the car stays in place you might well be looking at a rusty area above the top hinge. Do both sides of course. As you lift, the whole side of the car should go up. Hope this helps.

Roscobbc

Jacking the car up (as if you were going to change a wheel) can give some clues - if (when up in the air) the doors jam - there's a problem - if the door shut lines change - there's a problem. If the driver side footwell gets wet when in the rain - screen surround could have rust issues (or simply T Top seals dodgy)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just a thought , have you done any research on M&M Automotive and reviews ???? Some interesting reading me thinks ! Always take glitzy websites , adverts and sales pitch l with a large pinch of salt . Especially if they don`t have a full technical understanding of the cars they are selling .

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Just a thought , have you done any research on M&M Automotive and reviews ???? Some interesting reading me thinks ! Always take glitzy websites , adverts and sales pitch l with a large pinch of salt . Especially if they don`t have a full technical understanding of the cars they are selling .
I’ve spoken to them again this morning and they are a little reluctant to move on price. There’s a screen to replace, now I’m not sure what a screen fitted would be on a C3 but I’m guessing around £500. The nose has a bit of paint missing nothing crazy but again it’s going to need to painted. I’m sure there will be a few other things too. I think at £16k bar a few pennies it’s at the top of where it should be so not being too critical I reckon the car is £14.5 maximum to be interested. Gavin at Swadlincote is doing an orange 75 at the moment and from what I understand his cars leave in a very high order. I’ll probably hang fire and see what comes of that. I haven’t checked out mm yet but it is on my list to do today and any doubts there I’ll leave it anyway gotta be comfortable with who I’m buying from. Thanks again Adam

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I had my screen replaced last year due to a creeping crack at top of screen . It was covered on my insurance so only paid the screen cover excess . Don`t know what total cost was but wouldn`t expect any change out of £500 , especially if it has gradual tint like mine. It was also a bitch of a job to do as I stood and watched two real professionals struggle all the way . M&M reviews range from glowing to "cowboys" and "wouldn`t touch them with a barge pole" . You pays yer money and makes yer choice I`m afraid

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sorry ! damned post sent before I intended ! One final thought , a smidge under £16K is toppy for that year of C3 and should be in top notch order for the price . The engine mods should not add to the value in my book , they just might make it more desirable to certain buyers . Some prefer standard cars , matching numbers etc etc . Also , where ever you look at one , don`t be fobbed off with any of that " doesn`t need an MOT it`s too old" crap . You need to know the car is safe and UK road legal .

Vettemike09

Committee Member
The rules are that any trader being promoted on the website who refuses to support the club will have the posts removed.

Rich

Administrator
The rules are that any trader being promoted on the website who refuses to support the club will have the posts removed.
In view of this, the thread has been "cleaned up" by removing some posts including those which quoted the offending post.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
In view of this, the thread has been "cleaned up" by removing some posts including those which quoted the offending post.
Don't know who is making up the "rules" now, but I find this somewhat sinister.
Club Members are not allowed to warn others of "rogue" traders because we are a "good news only " club.
Now we are not allowed to recommend good traders because they don't "support" the CCCUK.
Message to new members - find out the hard way when entering the world of Corvettes 🤔