Anyone local next weekend can come and have a look at my 1981 please?

Musicman

Regular user
Good morning all,

Completely new to this world, after saving for a year I have taken the plunge! I had a good look before it changed hands and all appears well apart from a few little niggles (need to seal a hole in the passenger footwell where there is a small hole in the fibreglass).

I wondered if any of you knowledgeable people are local to the East Grinstead area next weekend? Would really value an expert view to give some guidance around any jobs which will need attention in the next few months (I can find my way around most things with a spanner and a hammer) to get her pristine and hopefully look to show her?

The heater does not appear to be working and there are a few bits of trim which I would like some advice on where I can purchase original parts. Also need to take some awful speakers out of the back and put something more discrete/original back?

Look forward to joining this world and getting to know some of you!

With thanks,

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I am not local either unfortunately but as Dazaa says , post some pics . Also lots of guys with experience on the forum happy to advise . I have a 1980 that I have done a fair bit of work on , both mechanical and interior trim wise . For starters the heater may be something as simple as a blown fuse . Does the fan blow or not ? For parts , speak to Scott at Corvette Kingdom in Norfolk . He is immensely knowledgeable and carries a stock of parts or ships them in from USA . That can work out cheaper than shipping in parts yourself from the US from the likes of Ecklers Corvette . He can probably source original rear speakers if that is your preference . As for the hole in the footwell , is it in the middle of the floor ? The 1980 model year has very thin steel plate bonded into the fibre glass floor and can rust through . I guess the 1981 will be the same . Mine was very pock marked and thin with rust so I wire brushed and used rust stabilizer , painted , then fitted in additional strengthening panels .
Good luck with your new toy . (y)

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
I'm Colchester so a bit far! Have you checked to see if BOTH of the heater hoses in the engine compartment are getting hot to the touch?
This will tell you if coolant is flowing through the heater core. Or is it the blower not working?

Musicman

Regular user
This is the view under the passenger dash, the hole is about the size of a 10p coin. Rather worryingly there is quite a bit of moisture in the footwell which I need to get sorted as soon as possible as I don’t want the pans to rust.

Attachments

• 318E33E3-23B8-4EBC-9ABE-80F5AEE9A211.jpeg
    318E33E3-23B8-4EBC-9ABE-80F5AEE9A211.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 9FA55F48-9F98-4831-98F4-4AFDF184D97A.jpeg
    9FA55F48-9F98-4831-98F4-4AFDF184D97A.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 32

Musicman

Regular user
Have also just noticed that this is unplugged, it looks to have been that way for some time? Can anyone tell me what this is please? I have checked Haynes and can’t find a reference?

Attachments

• 91692012-A2D2-4DBB-BEFB-4AD08251B2C9.jpeg
    91692012-A2D2-4DBB-BEFB-4AD08251B2C9.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 21

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Looks like where the engine electrical loom plugs in. '81s had the Computer Control System as standard. Do you have a Quadrojet Carb with several electrical connections?

Musicman

Regular user
Looks like where the engine electrical loom plugs in. '81s had the Computer Control System as standard. Do you have a Quadrojet Carb with several electrical connections?
You are already baffling me with science (my previous car is a ‘90 defender so please be patient) 🤣

Roscobbc

Wouldn't surprise me if the heater core has leaked at some point and the previous owner has perhaps disconnected the electrical connections and may have bypassed the water connections too. Its a common quick fix. Not unknown for the heater core to spring a leak - and it will leak in to the cabin floor. Simplest way to check if it has been bypassed is to look at the water pump on the front passenger side of the engine (right behind the radiator) - two medium diameter hoses should run back along the side of the inner fender to the heater/air-con unit. A simple bodge if the heater core leaks is to connect these two hoses togther and effectively by-pass the heater core (or perhaps someone has simply capping-off both hoses somewhere along their length)
Perhaps the air con unit has been immobilised too? both units work in conjunction and the 80/81 Vettes are a little different to earlier cars and a little complex?
I'd also suggest perhaps you spend £40 and 'join-up' - have a feeling you're going to need some future help........... :unsure:

Last edited:

Musicman

Regular user
Which carburettor do you have on the 'vette? And what ancillaries (aircon; Smog?)
This is why I could do with someone who knows their way around the car coming for a quick look and talking me through some of the finer points....I would get there myself but it will take a while!

It has aircon but none of it appears to be working (blower does not seem to engage when it is turned on) and there does seem to be moisture (not quite a drip) on the twin hoses coming up the passenger side of the engine bay......

Musicman

Regular user
Hey Rosco, I have joined as a member! Thanks for advice, I traced the hoses back and it seems as though there is a small leak from somewhere in the engine bay near the footwell. I will need to get her up on a jack to see under and whether it is a loose clip or a split in the hose? Could explain the damp in the footwell though?

This will keep me busy and an excuse not to pull up brambles in the garden!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If you can zoom in on the photo the hole is just below the left hand fixing bolt?
Does the hole go right through the bulkhead into engine bay ? Years of rain water ingress thrown up from underneath may have caused the dampness . Also the weeping hoses you found may be part of the problem . Also what condition are the door seal rubbers ? Rain water can run down the door sides into the cills then wick into the carpets and soak into footwells . If that is part of your problem be sure to take the interior trim kick panels off the sides of both footwells and check for corrosion in the base of the A pillars of the bird cage .

Musicman

Regular user
Does the hole go right through the bulkhead into engine bay ? Years of rain water ingress thrown up from underneath may have caused the dampness . Also the weeping hoses you found may be part of the problem . Also what condition are the door seal rubbers ? Rain water can run down the door sides into the cills then wick into the carpets and soak into footwells . If that is part of your problem be sure to take the interior trim kick panels off the sides of both footwells and check for corrosion in the base of the A pillars of the bird cage .
I had a good look at the birdcage prior to purchase and it seems sound. My worry is that the previous owner mentioned the car has been garaged over the winter and not driven yet the footwell is quite damp. The hole does go right through the bulkhead and is on the fibreglass. Door seals will need replacing as they are all deteriorating.

Roscobbc

I had a good look at the birdcage prior to purchase and it seems sound. My worry is that the previous owner mentioned the car has been garaged over the winter and not driven yet the footwell is quite damp. The hole does go right through the bulkhead and is on the fibreglass. Door seals will need replacing as they are all deteriorating.
Strange - wonder what caused the hole....?

Musicman

Regular user
Arrow points to where the hole is located, am going to fill it with fibreglass kit and at same time try and locate the source of moisture

Attachments

• B114DB99-A62A-49AD-9C4E-71796DB14783.jpeg
    B114DB99-A62A-49AD-9C4E-71796DB14783.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 19

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It could have been wet before car was garaged over the winter . It would never dry out until the carpets were removed . What is the black line to the left of your red arrow ? Is is a dribble mark or a crack filled in with black mastic ? Is the hole regular in shape as if it`s been cut , or is it irregular as caused by impact damage ? Have you driven it yet ? If so does it loose coolant level in expansion tank ? That will indicate a leak somewhere and could be the heater matrix or pipework as already mentioned by Roscobb .

Musicman

Regular user
The black mark is actually moist, a small dribble but definitely wet.....going to need to do some investigating. Took it for a quick spin yesterday and can’t see any dramatic drop in any levels but only did about 20 gentle miles as don’t want to overstress her as she has not been run for a while.
My issue is working out where everything is under the bonnet (or where everything isn’t!!), it is probably quite obvious when I get up to speed with her