Auto box problem

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
C3 with standard TH350 auto - start up engine, put it into gear and nothing happens.
Move the shifter into and out of gear about half a dozen times and (so far:eek:) it springs back to life
Anyone else had this? And what's the fix?

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Hi Bill, I'm no expert but I know the "drive" comes from the fluid, so I would start there. Old or low fluid or possibly blocked filter could be the reason. Maybe if the cars been standing in sub zero temperatures the fluid is taking a while to circulate. Old fluid goes brown & smells burnt. On my fluid level stick there is a cold & hot measurement. Get the car warmed up & check. Hope that helps Steve.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Hi Steve. Perhaps I should have said the oil and filter were changed in the gearbox about 4,000 miles ago and the level is up OK, and once running the gears change as normal.
Just hoping it's not rebuild time - just yet:(

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Hmm, beyond my knowledge I'm afraid. Is there a pump in our gearboxes? Might just be that if it drives OK once you get it going. Correct grade fluid?

johng

CCCUK Member
Is it just drive that it doesn't go into? What about if you put it in reverse, 1 or 2? Is it only putting it in and out of gear that fixes the problem, or does just leaving it a while to warm up also fix it?

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
P, R. N, D - so had to go into R then D - didn't think to try 2nd and 1st tbh. Can't work out why it has suddenly started to take time to build up pressure if that's what's happening