Axle Back Exhaust

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
I'm looking to replace the standard exhaust on my C5 to one with a little more of a V8 sound. Don't want OTT and have been looking at the Billy Boat PRT quad round pipes. Has anybody had experience or heard this exhaust please or what do you recommend? Cheers.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
It's normally one of the first things you do on a C5. I'd heard the Borla's have a significant drone so chose a different make. I bought a Granatelli cat back which I believe is the same as the NXT. May well be made in China but the quality is fantastic, sound is very nice & I've had many compliments, although not as loud as some I've heard which I guess may be Borla's or similar. Combine with a nice X pipe & you're sorted, although I'd say don't go for the American made Bassani X pipe, weld quality is less than good.

1997-2004 C5 Corvette Axle Back Exhaust - NXT Step Performan (pinnacleautoparts.com)

Robert Craske

Well-known user
I have this exhaust on one of my C5`s. It is a nice sounding exhaust. Not too loud but not too quiet plus there is no drone when you are on the motorway. I would recommend it as probably one of the best sounding aftermarket exhausts.

Firepit

Well-known user
Another vote for the Billy Boat. I’ve got it with the crossover pipe and it sounds gorgeous. The burble on over run is just lovely.

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
I have been running a Borla 'Stinger' (twin exit as opposed to quad tail pipes) cat back exhaust for the last 18 years on my C5 & have never had any issues with drone at any speed. Nice rumble not too raucous & not too intrusive either.

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
jwbfY3Al.jpg

This will give you an idea of what the twin pipe rear looks like......Borla do now do a quad cat back exhaust & have done for a while, it was just at the time I was looking the twin was the only one they made.

97BlackC5

CCCUK Member
Nigel, have you lowered your car a little?
Hi Stephen, I trust You & June are keeping well, happy new year to you both. Good spot there sir, in that picture I had lowered it on after market lowering bolts to get the more aggressive look. However it is now riding a touch higher than that particular picture, as it was effectively riding on the bump stops so no real suspension travel at all, which would be fine on the French Auto Route,but in Blighty it was not the most comfortable of rides. So it now sits a little higher but still considerably lower than stock & has a bit more ride comfort. Lowering a C5 makes the softer shape of the car look a lot more aggressive, which I must admit I like.

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
jwbfY3Al.jpg

This will give you an idea of what the twin pipe rear looks like......Borla do now do a quad cat back exhaust & have done for a while, it was just at the time I was looking the twin was the only one they made.
Thanks. I quite like the look of the twin pipes 👌

Yellowshark

Well-known user
As someone said earlier, the first job I did after my 2001 warranty expired was fit a Borla cat back exhaust in 2004. 16 years and 100,000+ miles of pure pleasure has ensued. Whether that be burbling through French villages playing a symphony to the adoring locals, setting off the car alarms in the car park of the less adoring locals, blowing the beret off the French cyclist having followed behind touring the hills of the Luberon in 1st waiting a very respectable 7 or 8 minutes waiting for a safe spot to pass, just eating up the motorway on the way back to Cherbourg and occasionally dropping a couple of gears and letting off some gas to put an encroaching gti or whatever in its place. These are some of the wonders of the world awaiting your 1st stock exhaust upgrade :cool::p:D. If a smile breaks over your face every time you start the engine you know you made the right choice.