Battery draining

Linda

CCCUK Member
Hi wonder if anyone can help. I’ve got brand new heavy duty battery. Recon alternator. Battery was dead. Totally recharged with new smart charger for 5 litre vehicles. It charged up and I started it. Two days later battery was totally dead again. Does anyone have any ideas what might be discharging it. It’s only just started to happen.

N

Norm

What's Draining Your Battery?
Most vehicles draw some battery current when the key is off, thanks to the clock and the internal memory of engine computers, body-control modules, and radio presets. Altogether, they draw a very small amount of current. Fifty milliamps would be a safe upper limit for this, though many vehicles will draw less. If you're not sure, look up the correct rating in the service manual.

To measure the car-off current draw, you'll need a multimeter capable of reading current, preferably one with a 10- or 20-amp capacity, but a 200 milliamp lower scale. Start with a fully charged battery. Either make sure the doors are closed or wedge the door switch shut. Turning off the dome light isn't good enough—on many cars, an open door will activate several circuits.

Unplug any power-draining cables from the lighter socket, such as a cellphone charger or GPS. Even if the device itself is unplugged from the charger, the plug may still consume a few milliamps of current. Got an ear-bleedin' stereo amp in the trunk? Pull the fuse, because it may be in standby mode rather than completely shut down.

One caution: If your radio or antitheft system requires you to input a code after the power is interrupted, better hunt it down now. It's likely that you'll need it. Don't let the dealer entice you to bring the car in and pay him to input it. The code should have been included with the owner's manual when you purchased the car.

Start hunting by putting your ammeter in series with the battery's ground circuit. Disconnect the battery's ground cable and wire the ammeter in series between the battery terminal and the cable. Start with the meter on the highest range, probably 10 or 20 amps. Warning! Doing something silly, like trying to start the car or turn on the headlights—anything that draws more than the meter's rated capacity—can blow the meter's fuse.

Once you have determined that the current drain you're reading is safe, gradually reduce the meter's scale to the appropriate low range, probably 2 amps or 200 mA. You are now reading the parasitic drain on the battery. Some vehicles will show as little as 10 mA residual drain. Others, probably high-end cars with lots of high-end gadgets, will draw more.

An important note: Some devices, like alarms and automatic-dimming lights, will draw substantial amounts up to 20 minutes after they're deactivated. So if the reading is high, wait a few minutes to see if it changes.

If you can't do this yourself, looks like a visit to the garage or get another to troubleshoot. Good luck.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
It's a C3 - so simply electrics. I put a battery cut off on mine and use that every time I''m not using the car. So no drain anywhere.
My pal has a C3 that kept draining the battery which was only cured when he fitted a new starter motor. I don't think he had a cut off, so a cut off might sort the problem

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Hi wonder if anyone can help. I’ve got brand new heavy duty battery. Recon alternator. Battery was dead. Totally recharged with new smart charger for 5 litre vehicles. It charged up and I started it. Two days later battery was totally dead again. Does anyone have any ideas what might be discharging it. It’s only just started to happen.
I use a cut-off switch when not in use, then trickle charge the night before going out. Check if you have a sidepost battery or normal top post one

Roscobbc

I use a cut-off switch when not in use, then trickle charge the night before going out. Check if you have a sidepost battery or normal top post one
Wise move (a cut-off device) fits to side post of traditional UK type battery - so minimal work to install (with this type of battery) added bonus - theft deterrent - minimises the risk from an electrical fire when vehicle is unattended.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Wise move (a cut-off device) fits to side post of traditional UK type battery - so minimal work to install (with this type of battery) added bonus - theft deterrent - minimises the risk from an electrical fire when vehicle is unattended.
here's a side post one. Easy fix. Available for top post as well.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
New Battery, Recon Alternator, all feeds and Earths good - should still start after 2 days - C3 if doors closed and all lights off there is only the clock to drain the battery - is something on such as rear window elements or heater blower, get it checked, Battery could be faulty etc - Get a Battery Cut Off Switch fitted to the Battery, Side Post or Top Post they are both available - I can leave mine six months using the Battery Cut Off, then it starts first time.

Best of Luck

N

Norm

I would have to agree, the battery cut-off switch is a good idea, you would basically have no battery draining parasites. Have seen these type of switches on quite a few older model Vettes.

battery.pngbattery2.png

V

Vetteheadtony

A common mistake new Vette onwers do is turn there headlight switch fully anti clockwise to brighten the dash light, but at the stop twisting is anti clockwise there is a last bit that clicks, this is to turn on your interior map light, they then get out and not realise they have left the interior lights on, easy mistake to make, I still do it time to time, just get in and make sure it’s not fully turntable anti-clockwise, just an idea!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
A common mistake new Vette onwers do is turn there headlight switch fully anti clockwise to brighten the dash light, but at the stop twisting is anti clockwise there is a last bit that clicks, this is to turn on your interior map light, they then get out and not realise they have left the interior lights on, easy mistake to make, I still do it time to time, just get in and make sure it’s not fully turntable anti-clockwise, just an idea!
Tony - What Map Light - what am I missing?

V

Vetteheadtony

Tony - What Map Light - what am I missing?
You know what I mean Barry surely, turn your light switch knob fully anti clockwise until it clicks and all the interior lamps come on.
The one above your head, footwell etc👍🏻

V

Vetteheadtony

Also an option is also the map light on the bottom of the mirror, rare option

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
You know what I mean Barry surely, turn your light switch knob fully anti clockwise until it clicks and all the interior lamps come on.
The one above your head, footwell etc👍🏻
Yes cheers, I thought there was something extra that I did not know about - I remember when I bought my 80 in 82 and on the drive home at night up the motorway I stopped at the services, locked the car up, walked away and looked back, the interior lights were on, so I went back to the car etc etc and then realised there was a time delay switch to the interior lights.

Autocolor

CCCUK Member
Nothing much to drain the battery on a C3 and certainly not in that short time, worth getting the diode in the alternator checked, if that is flowing both ways it will drain your battery in no time at all, its supposed to be a one way switch for charging but if faulty allows power to drain in the opposite direction (battery drain).
Good Luck
Mike.