Bonnet release cables

Andy J

CCCUK Member
Went to open the bonnet today and only 1 side released. The passenger side cable has become detatched from the lever in the cabin, it looks like the ferrule has pulled off. Fortunately I can get a pair of pliers on the cable to open the bonnet but moving forward I would like to fix it properly.
So, I'm after suggestions as to the best course of action. See if I can find the ferrule, I assume it's still in the handle and look to getting it soldered back on the end. Source a used cable set. Buy a new set of cables. Is a complete cable change an easy job? I'm a bit cautious about buying used as they're all gonna be at least 25 years old. I'm leaning toward trying to re solder the ferrule but I'm really not sure if it's a viable option.

Redlevel

Well-known user
Went to open the bonnet today and only 1 side released. The passenger side cable has become detatched from the lever in the cabin, it looks like the ferrule has pulled off. Fortunately I can get a pair of pliers on the cable to open the bonnet but moving forward I would like to fix it properly.
So, I'm after suggestions as to the best course of action. See if I can find the ferrule, I assume it's still in the handle and look to getting it soldered back on the end. Source a used cable set. Buy a new set of cables. Is a complete cable change an easy job? I'm a bit cautious about buying used as they're all gonna be at least 25 years old. I'm leaning toward trying to re solder the ferrule but I'm really not sure if it's a viable option.
If you can remove the cable, dig out the ferrule from the handle mechanism, take the cable to a yacht chandler type as they routinely fix cables of this type.
I ran paracord from bonnet catch to bonnet catch in case my cables fail. You cant see it but you can feel for it under the wipers to release the bonnet if need be to access my remote starter button.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If you can remove the cable, dig out the ferrule from the handle mechanism, take the cable to a yacht chandler type as they routinely fix cables of this type.
I ran paracord from bonnet catch to bonnet catch in case my cables fail. You cant see it but you can feel for it under the wipers to release the bonnet if need be to access my remote starter button.
You may be able to buy a ferrule with a set screw tapped into it , sure i had them back in my biker days to fix clutch cables etc. Get you going til you buy new cable set 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You may be able to buy a ferrule with a set screw tapped into it , sure i had them back in my biker days to fix clutch cables etc. Get you going til you buy new cable set 👍

Attachments

• 6F6CF124-8B05-43B0-ABB5-0FE605443C74.png
    6F6CF124-8B05-43B0-ABB5-0FE605443C74.png
    632.2 KB · Views: 6
  • B5445472-037C-4903-B10F-3D21D24A797D.png
    B5445472-037C-4903-B10F-3D21D24A797D.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 6

Andy J

CCCUK Member
Had a look on Ecklers website and a complete new cable assembly is only $45 so it's pointless buying used or looking to bodge a repair. Seems if the cable fails under the hood it can be a real ball ache to sort. Ecklers do an emergency release kit which is basically 2 loops of wire. A but of lateral thinking and a rummage in the garage and a cable tie on each latch does the job just as effectively if not as neatly!
I'm rapidly building up a nice long list of jobs for the new to me car now. Oil and filter, trans oil and filter and now the cable. I also want to change the front tyres that despite having loads of tread they're cracking between the blocks and they're ancient. Bizarrely the date code seems to be on a the inside sidewall and I'm struggling to see it but they're the run flats that were specced from new so in all likelihood they're a good few years old.
However, the more I look into the depths of the car the more I'm finding that I like. All grease nipples look to have fresh grease in them, the front brake lines are Goodridge braided hoses, airbox is aftermarket "performance "item with a K &N filter. I went to drop the rear tyre to check for condition and if it was actually there and the threads on the bolt holding the spare wheel tray were greased and clean. Weather stripping on the convertible top is all in good condition and theres no leaks despite being out in a massive downpour on Sunday evening.
The only negative is the auto box is a bit grumpy. 1-2 change is very harsh and it can be a bit reluctant to change up a WOT sometimes. Maybe a rebuild is on the cards in the future but for now I'm going to see what a trans oil and filter change will bring.
Overall I'm hugely happy with the car.