Broken Vacuum Hose

donald.e

Regular user
Can anyone enlighten me on what this is meant to do, obviously it isn’t.
I’ve looked through Assembly Manual, and indeed Haynes Workshop can’t confirm.
Air Con is my best bet which doesn’t work is this why 🤔

Attachments

• 2E65C260-05DA-4F2C-A1DF-5EA7D9174A8D.jpeg
    2E65C260-05DA-4F2C-A1DF-5EA7D9174A8D.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 0D0DC097-9F3E-4DA8-B76E-14F9863B4670.jpeg
    0D0DC097-9F3E-4DA8-B76E-14F9863B4670.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 27

johng

CCCUK Member
I'm on holiday at the moment so can't take a look, but I think it might be the hot water shut off valve. Pretty sure it won't be connected to the air-conditioning.
John

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Cheers, I’ll have a look in that direction and not AC
White small vacuum hose?, think it goes to the heat control valve, which is on the water hose ( medium sized black rubber) going from block to the heater matrix. The other end comes from the HVAC switches on the centre console. Mines perished & crumbles due to age & heat I guess

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Can anyone enlighten me on what this is meant to do, obviously it isn’t.
I’ve looked through Assembly Manual, and indeed Haynes Workshop can’t confirm.
Air Con is my best bet which doesn’t work is this why 🤔

As stated, this is the vacuum line that operates the heater water shut-off valve, visible in your first photo. I belive it is actually controlled by a lever acting on a valve located behind the glovebox, which is in turn controled by the heater control levers on the console. The theory is that when the "heat" lever is set to full cold, the valve is closed, shutting off hot water.
The best way to repair it is to "sheath" with something like the clear flexible piping that places like Robert Dyas used to sell. I have done this with ours, for the entire exposed length. I used some silicone sealant to seal each end of the sheathing and it works well.

As your shut-off valve looks original, you may find it is now non-functioning - I replaced ours with a newer design many years ago.

The broken hose will not affect AC operation by the way. That probaly needs new gas at the very least? Then you will have to get into the whole R12/R134 "thing"!

donald.e

Regular user
As stated, this is the vacuum line that operates the heater water shut-off valve, visible in your first photo. I belive it is actually controlled by a lever acting on a valve located behind the glovebox, which is in turn controled by the heater control levers on the console. The theory is that when the "heat" lever is set to full cold, the valve is closed, shutting off hot water.
The best way to repair it is to "sheath" with something like the clear flexible piping that places like Robert Dyas used to sell. I have done this with ours, for the entire exposed length. I used some silicone sealant to seal each end of the sheathing and it works well.

As your shut-off valve looks original, you may find it is now non-functioning - I replaced ours with a newer design many years ago.

The broken hose will not affect AC operation by the way. That probaly needs new gas at the very least? Then you will have to get into the whole R12/R134 "thing"!
Cheers, I will look at repairing as you say, however the pipe is very brittle, will see how it goes.
As for AC it does need gassing but no rush here as AC is not a priority here in the north of Scotland 🤣
But again thanks for your information