C3 Hood Insulation or 'Go Naked'

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi There. I have to renew my hood insulation for my '75 as its torn, tatty & hanging. does anyone know of any nice hood liners with a logo maybe, ive seen some super nice ones on C5,6&7 variants but not on the 3. i'm kinda loathed to spend £50 on a piece of shaped loft insulation as thats exactly what it looks like.
I've read various things about removing and going naked, some say not a problem others say it has effect on paint blistering. My feeling is its there for a reason.
Any suggestions?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I understood it was originally put there to reduce engine sound, not heat.
Mine was tatty so removed years ago with no effect on hood paint to date.

Roscobbc

Perfectly legal I'm sure IF one makes sure any 'rotating' parts are covered so small children and stupid people can't stick their fingers, other body parts, appendages or stange objects in to and injure themselves.......o_O

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I reckon a hood could get hotter from the sun beating down on it on a summers day than it ever might from engine bay heat rising, especially dark colour paintwork?

johng

CCCUK Member
I didn't fancy spending £50 for a bit of insulation, so I spent £20 for some self adhesive 6mm acoustic foam instead. Looks better to me, just hope the glue doesn't let go when it gets hot!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I went down a similar route and used self adhesive foil faced heat resistant insulation rather than pay silly money for a custom made job . Bought it my the metre off a role from Earls at Silverstone Performance Parts at Circuit . Can`t remember how much I paid and cannot find the invoice which is odd as keep everything spent on the car :( . It wasn`t cheap as chips but not overly expensive as I only bought enough to do the job . I made a cardboard template first to get shape and fit right . Took the hood off to make fitting easier but still needed help to avoid getting creases because one slight touch and it stuck like the proverbial l to a blanket !DSCF3033.JPG

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Interesting that we have two very neat solutions above, One sound and one for heat!
F1 cars use gold leaf to reflect heat away from carbon fibre panels that are millimetres away from glowing exhausts.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I went down a similar route and used self adhesive foil faced heat resistant insulation rather than pay silly money for a custom made job . Bought it my the metre off a role from Earls at Silverstone Performance Parts at Circuit . Can`t remember how much I paid and cannot find the invoice which is odd as keep everything spent on the car :( . It wasn`t cheap as chips but not overly expensive as I only bought enough to do the job . I made a cardboard template first to get shape and fit right . Took the hood off to make fitting easier but still needed help to avoid getting creases because one slight touch and it stuck like the proverbial l to a blanket !View attachment 8801
looks smart, tidy job

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Being a racing supplies business , they had gold leaf insulation where I bought my insulation from . Needless to say I didn`t splash out for that ! :eek: