C3 Wiper Blades

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Some years ago I bought a set that were apparently for a C3, from one of the big US suppliers - I think Ecklers, but I couldn't be sure. When I tried to fit them I found that they would not fit behind the hood (no wiper door on the later C3s) as there was, in effect, too much hardware on the blade. In the end, I removed the rubber portion and fitted it to my original blade carriers. It's a fiddly business, but I have done it a second time, this time just buying the appropriate length rubber inserts from our local auto shop!

Roscobbc

For perhaps many of us wipers are just for MOT's - those of us who's vehicles are now MOT except there's even less need for them. Rain, inclement weather? do Vetteheads venture out then?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks guys. Do the ones you’ve got work on the motorway?

Have you got the original thin type or the more modern “ladder” ones?

My experience of 60s wipers is that at 100mph a lot of them loose contact with the screen.
For perhaps many of us wipers are just for MOT's - those of us who's vehicles are now MOT except there's even less need for them. Rain, inclement weather? do Vetteheads venture out then?

Don’t get a choice in a race, if it rains it rains!

johng

CCCUK Member
I bought mine from Rockauto, but no idea if they work well! They do have a good selection though.

antijam

CCCUK Member
My C3 is more than a 'banger' but less than a 'Trailer Queen' so having eventually got the wipers to work I'm happy to give them a chance to prove their worth - which we did this morning.
When I bought the car I discovered that after having a brief tussle with each other in their hidey-hole the wipers would work but the screenwash wouldn't. Turned out the pump was kaput but that didn't really matter as the screenwash tubes that run up the wiper arms were missing. I bought a new pump and quite surprisingly discovered the wash tubes incarcerated in a blanket of underseal in the wiper cavity. Having extracted them, cleaned, clipped and resoldered them to the arms - and taught the latter to play nicely - I finally had working wipers and washers.

1-P1320372.JPG

Our trip this morning up a local stretch of the A46 started off in pleasant sunshine but gradually degenerated into typical Autumn 'showers'. so my recently re-aligned wiper door snapped smartly to attention and the wipers leapt out to do battle - which they did in sterling fashion. One part of the car that does get very little use is the soft-top and this morning it was still enjoying the extra hours sleep under its cover. Fortunately the 'Vette is one of those open cars that if you keep your speed up cleverly directs the rain over the top and with a clear road I both stayed dry and enjoyed a clear screen. However I did discover a singular lack of interior heat so it looks like another job to add to the list.... 😕

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
A46 where are you based - Why haven't you joined the Vettehead's Club - CCCUK ?

I'm based in Gloucestershire, roughly halfway between Gloucester and Bristol and I joined the CCCUK when I got my car in January last year. I get the Club Magazine and I get emails from the Committee and regional reps but for some reason this forum describes me as a "Well known user". I'm wondering if I've forgotten to renew but when I queried it through this forum I got no response? :unsure:

Alben78

Well-known user
When I replaced the blades on my now sold ‘78 I purchased a set of rubber only blades from Halfords and replaced the original ones. Just a bit of trimming and they worked ok with the original blade holders. Didn’t try them at speed though.

kentvette

CCCUK Member

By choice, I'd never go out in inclement weather! :) Alas, over the years that plan has failed spectacularly, and there's no weather phenomenon (except earth quakes!) that the poor old car hasn't had to endure! Our wipers are the same as Antijam's, and work fine at speeds up to about 80mph I guess. But above that, on public roads in the rain, in a C3 - no, not sensible and not fun! So can't help re lifting while on the track, but they cope perfectly with normal stuff and, after a bit of a struggle with an aftermarket, re-located washer pump, the washers work as well. And here, they have to as we still have a CT (French MOT) every 5 years.....

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Some years ago I bought a set that were apparently for a C3, from one of the big US suppliers - I think Ecklers, but I couldn't be sure. When I tried to fit them I found that they would not fit behind the hood (no wiper door on the later C3s) as there was, in effect, too much hardware on the blade. In the end, I removed the rubber portion and fitted it to my original blade carriers. It's a fiddly business, but I have done it a second time, this time just buying the appropriate length rubber inserts from our local auto shop!
^^ EXACTLY the same happened to me, but for the earlier C3 with the pop up door. The new wipers allegedly for my early C3 (again from Ecklers I think), wouldn't fit inside, so I had to swap over the rubber parts.

Dazaa

Well-known user
As previously mentioned, reuse the old metal hanger and replace the rubber portion, i got some cheapo blades off ebay for under a tenner that did the trick, haven't tested them on the road yet.