C4 keys, vats, etc

Motorbikes

Regular user
Hi all,

A car I'm considering buying only comes with one key. I've read these come with a little chip in the key that can cause issues if not tuned with the ignition - does anyone know where I can get a replacement from and where it can be tuned?

The car is a 96 C4

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Keith of Eurovettes, (he's a member) got me new blank keys for my 94. I measured the resistance with a multimeter, on the key chip,. He advised what the values could be. When received I had them cut from the original at a hardware store. Hope that helps Steve.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Do you know,I can't remember! DOH. Could be turn on/ off 3 times? Something like that. I'll see if I can Google it, have to be later, got an appointment v.soon.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Ok here's some info copied from corvetteforum.com US.
This is for the KEY. The chip in the key energises the ignition circuit I believe. The FOB is to lock/unlock & alarm. It is programmed to the car separately,as above. KEY:
"If you have a Volt Meter you can test the OHMS (The Value) of the chip yourself. Just set your Voltmeter to check to 20 K OHMS Take each lead and place it on each side of the " chip " on your key. A number will appear. Take that number on your voltmeter and apply it to the OHMS chart below. Keep in mind that it may not be exact. Just pick the closest value to your reading. I do realize that some of you don’t even know what a Volt Meter is, not to mention having one. So there is a great alternative for you. Just take your key to a Radio Shack, or your local Auto Mechanic. Ask them to do as I described above."

THIS CHART IS FOR ANY GM PRODUCT, BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, AND PONTIAC THAT HAS A VATS KEY, SINGLE OR DOUBLE SIDED KEY.

VATS # k OHMS

1———— 0.402

2———— 0.523

3———— 0.681

4————-0.887

5————-1.130

6————-1.470

7————-1.870

8————-2.370

9————-3.010

10————3.740

11————4.750

12————6.040

13————7.500

14————9.530

15————11.801

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
On checking online, I think the key works straight out of the box, so long it's the correct code.

Motorbikes

Regular user
Thanks all, I did speak to Keith and the best course looks to be measuring the ohms of the existing key and ordering the corresponding number. Will do this if I proceed with the car.

It'd only become an issue if I lose or damage the sole key, in which case I'd be more than a bit buggered.