C5 Import Mileage Query

Shanoppolo49

Regular user
Hi all! I'm considering the purchase of a C5 and pretty much had myself convinced I was ready to do a deal.

However, after just paying for the Carfax report it's saying that the mileage when it left the US in 2014 was ~112k. The first MOT in 2014 registered ~55k. Has anyone come across anything like this when importing, or am I safe to assume that there was some 'creativity' in the sale/import process?

Cheers!

Shanoppolo49

Regular user
Looking at the Carfax report it has a nice linear progression over the years up until it left the US so that side seems reliable. Sadly it seems as though something happened in the UK to reduce the mileage by about 50k miles.

I was hoping that someone would have some sort of reassuring story, but it seems as though this was either rolled back or they made a change that wasn't logged :(.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
What year is the car ? Things to consider are , is 112K high for the age ? Probably not for a C5 . As it came into the UK in 2014 and was MOT `d , use the Reg . Number and look it up on DVLA website for MOT history over the past 6 years .
Presumably the car was advertised as having 50k miles so this could make a bargaining point on price as mileage is in question . Also have you seen the car personally ? If so does it look like a 50K car or a 112K car ? At 112K it will have more wear and tear scars unless it has been tarted up , especially the interior .
Finally , in my experience if something smells like a rat , it usually is a rat :cautious:

Shanoppolo49

Regular user
It's a 2004 so if the mileage was around 112k I wouldn't be too surprised, or disappointed. I did check the MOT history and it is really good (all passes) with just a few advisories. My only real concern is the fact that the records don't match and why that would be. There could be a reasonable explanation, but the seller isn't aware of anything that could have caused the discrepancy.

I've not seen it in person as it's a few hours from me, but I was planning on venturing out so - checking the Carfax was my last box to tick before doing so. Unfortunately, it looks like I may have to cancel and will be back to waiting...

Last edited:

Roscobbc

There is only one 'reasonable' explanation - it was 'clocked'. Don't believe the line "the speedo broke" so we put an new one in" - so that means either they damaged the speedo attempting to 'clock' it - or - decided that the cost of a new or s/h low recorded miles speedo more than covered the replacement cost and meant they could hike the asking price significantly.
Don't want to appear sceptical but the majority of used vehicles imported from the USA to Europe and UK are insurance write-offs. All the LHD BMWs, Merc's, VW's etc go to Europe and will possibly be repaired in eastern Europe and re-sold to unsuspecting purchasers. Some of the LHD vehicles of 'interest' (like Vettes) may come here to UK. Even a cursory search on Google using the vin number can bring-up information and scrap yard images. Some of the 'write-offs' are very simple minor damage. Water damage is common. Would you be happy with complex electronics like a C8 that had been perhaps submerged in flood water for a few weeks..........er' no? You might be able to buy a vehicle that was an insurance write-off at a reasonable price, perhaps thousands less than a 'good' car. When you want to sell it it will be devalued by a similar amount irrespective of how good the repair may be,

Corvette

Well-known user
On a C5 if you replace a speedo cluster the car will read the mileage on the replacement cluster. Pretty commonplace I’m afraid. Often you can just Google vin number and it will show you photos of the car as it went through the salvage auction in USA. Sellers are aware but don’t want you to be aware. I was always told when viewing a car “ ask no questions and hear no lies.”

Shanoppolo49

Regular user
Yes I suspect you're both right that somewhere along the way someone has done some tinkering. I'm gutted... I've been on the hunt for my first Corvette for months now! One day hey?!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sage words of an old friend of mine who was fond of saying - " What is meant for you will not pass you by " .

Roscobbc

Yes I suspect you're both right that somewhere along the way someone has done some tinkering. I'm gutted... I've been on the hunt for my first Corvette for months now! One day hey?!
I would like to say only buy from a CCCUK member to be sure of a genuine vehicle - but you would be reliant on them having done their homework when they bought the car.....