C5 Tech 2 OBD 2 question and side lights DRL question for US spec car converted to UK

silver50

Busy user
Hi folks, I'm working on my late Uncles 1999 C5 that I brought back from Spain. Car unused 8/9 years. Things are going well so far I'm pleased to say. I've worked through quite a few things already. Hoping can make a good go of it and then enjoy this C5. It's running well (though still sitting on axle stands!) and I'd say it appears a lot of electrics are functioning as they should.

I spoke to the UK owner of a 2004 C5 who said last week his mobile phone worked via bluetooth with the car's diagnostic port with OBD2 software. The port plug looks OBD2. Will a professional OBD2 scanner work pretty well, or is there any necessity/benefit to GM Tech2? This is just a general question in advance of no doubt needing to use a scanner. While I can do some basic checking I'm not familiar with scan tools.

Regarding my side lights and what were the DRLs. I did some work to this car 15 yrs ago to get it SVA tested prior to it going to Spain a couple of years later. I recall some lighting works but am hazy on exactly what was done. Hopefully this week I can delve into it a bit. A kit to convert to euro compliance came from Eckler's 15yrs ago. Back lights, harnesses etc and I think a couple of clip on little round lights that sit beside the car's front fogs. These little accessory lights seem to act as sidelights and the DRL lamp/lens (the larger portion) has an orange bulb (twin filament..?) that seems to be the front indicator. I'm not sure why it's a twin filament. The DRL relays are bridged over in some way, I assume to disable the DRLs. I'm having some issues with indicators and front lights that need worked through. Do standard US spec cars still have a sidelight coming on (on top of the DRL) with the headlight? Is the twin filament orange bulb (my indicator) because if it were US spec it would be a sidelight (on with headlight switch) and the other filament would flash as the indicator?

If anyone can advise what these euro kits usually convert from that'd be good. I've tried searches for kits hoping to see instructions but no joy finding. I suspect I'm close as to how it was changed but let me know if I've got any of that wrong!

Last edited:

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
Hi folks, I'm working on my late Uncles 1999 C5 that I brought back from Spain. Car unused 8/9 years. Things are going well so far I'm pleased to say. I've worked through quite a few things already. Hoping can make a good go of it and then enjoy this C5. It's running well (though still sitting on axle stands!) and I'd say it appears a lot of electrics are functioning as they should.

I spoke to the UK owner of a 2004 C5 who said last week his mobile phone worked via bluetooth with the car's diagnostic port with OBD2 software. The port plug looks OBD2. Will a professional OBD2 scanner work pretty well, or is there any necessity/benefit to GM Tech2? This is just a general question in advance of no doubt needing to use a scanner. While I can do some basic checking I'm not familiar with scan tools.

Regarding my side lights and what were the DRLs. I did some work to this car 15 yrs ago to get it SVA tested prior to it going to Spain a couple of years later. I recall some lighting works but am hazy on exactly what was done. Hopefully this week I can delve into it a bit. A kit to convert to euro compliance came from Eckler's 15yrs ago. Back lights, harnesses etc and I think a couple of clip on little round lights that sit beside the car's front fogs. These little accessory lights seem to act as sidelights and the DRL lamp/lens (the larger portion) has an orange bulb (twin filament..?) that seems to be the front indicator. I'm not sure why it's a twin filament. The DRL relays are bridged over in some way, I assume to disable the DRLs. I'm having some issues with indicators and front lights that need worked through. Do standard US spec cars still have a sidelight coming on (on top of the DRL) with the headlight? Is the twin filament orange bulb (my indicator) because if it were US spec it would be a sidelight (on with headlight switch) and the other filament would flash as the indicator?

If anyone can advise what these euro kits usually convert from that'd be good. I've tried searches for kits hoping to see instructions but no joy finding. I suspect I'm close as to how it was changed but let me know if I've got any of that wrong!
I use an ELM 327 OBDII plug in on my C6, had it on my C5.
I use it for logging allsorts of info through the "Torque" app.
This will also read and reset a lot of error codes as well.

silver50

Busy user
I use an ELM 327 OBDII plug in on my C6, had it on my C5.
I use it for logging allsorts of info through the "Torque" app.
This will also read and reset a lot of error codes as well.

Thanks. Just having a look at those now.

I meant to say above that I got a hold of Chevrolet genuine service manuals for a 1998 (mine a '99 but can't imagine too many differences) but of course you need to use in conjunction with scan tools for codes. I can't say I'm very familiar with using wiring diagrams etc but the manuals do look like they have ALL the info and good fault finding instructions. Three huge volumes of info! Slightly overwhelming but good to have.

V

Vetteheadtony

You don’t need a scanner on a C5, it has self diagnosis, just hold down the option button, whilst still depressed push the fuel button 4 times, this will take you into diagnostic mode, clears codes by holding the reset button.

silver50

Busy user
You don’t need a scanner on a C5, it has self diagnosis, just hold down the option button, whilst still depressed push the fuel button 4 times, this will take you into diagnostic mode, clears codes by holding the reset button.
Thanks, and thanks for posting link to video. Yes, I’d read about this. Certainly sounds very useful in itself. Above all I was wondering why and when “Tech 2” might be needed or useful. Maybe in instances where doing something like re programming a BCM was necessary?

V

Vetteheadtony

Thanks, and thanks for posting link to video. Yes, I’d read about this. Certainly sounds very useful in itself. Above all I was wondering why and when “Tech 2” might be needed or useful. Maybe in instances where doing something like re programming a BCM was necessary?
You cannot reprogram anything with a TECH2, it’s purely a scanner that GM technicians used whilst servicing, the only reason you would need one on a C5 would be if you was doing a brake fluid change and needed to cycle the ABS pump etc, I bought a knock off TECH2 for about $350.
To re program ECU/BCM you would need tuning software like HPTuners.

silver50

Busy user
Thanks, doesn't sound very necessary then. It was keeping on reading on corvetteforum.com Tech2 this, Tech2 that, that I was wondering if any reason why it was needed.

V

Vetteheadtony

Thanks, doesn't sound very necessary then. It was keeping on reading on corvetteforum.com Tech2 this, Tech2 that, that I was wondering if any reason why it was needed.
Invaluable on any GM car with OBD except C5, GM messed up with the self diagnosis, it was never meant to be public knowledge, but eh there mistake our perk!
Where are you situated, I’m in Essex if you ever need a TECH2👍🏻

oelarse

Well-known user
On the C5 you can see all DTC´s which is useful .But the Tech 2 is a bi-directonal tool and very handy when troubleshooting on C5 or C6 .
You can view all values on sensors and signals .When you troubleshoot you can activate all sorts of output signals from theTech 2.
Drive window up/down , lights on/off , calibrate steering sensor /view input signal from all switches.
Tech2can also be used as pass through device when programming the PCM from ACDELCO website .
lately I have started to use Tech2win (emulator) on my 15" win 10 laptop together with VCX NANO and 3m USB micro cable.

V

Vetteheadtony

On the C5 you can see all DTC´s which is useful .But the Tech 2 is a bi-directonal tool and very handy when troubleshooting on C5 or C6 .
You can view all values on sensors and signals .When you troubleshoot you can activate all sorts of output signals from theTech 2.
Drive window up/down , lights on/off , calibrate steering sensor /view input signal from all switches.
Tech2can also be used as pass through device when programming the PCM from ACDELCO website .
lately I have started to use Tech2win (emulator) on my 15" win 10 laptop together with VCX NANO and 3m USB micro cable.

View attachment 4380

View attachment 4381
That looks good, do you use that instead of a TECH2 or do you still need the actual TECH2? You are correct the TECH2 is a great bit of kit and can do a lot more than just a scanner ie reprogramming crank triggers, pas-lock relearns etc but is still limited when reprogramming ecu’s, I would only buy one when I actually could not do a job without it.

oelarse

Well-known user
The software screens in Tech2win is the same as on Tech 2 , but it is more convenient to have the Tech2 menues on a 15" laptop then the 8" Tech2 screen(think it is 8") . You can use both Tech2 and Tech2win with VCXNANO as passthrough devices if you need to reprogram the PCM on your C5 .
You must get a ACDELCO subscription and pay a smaller fee and download the files using your browser and the Tech2/VCXNANO as passthrough device .
I have not done this myself yet but I have a spare PCM and intend to try this out later this winter .

V

Vetteheadtony

The software screens in Tech2win is the same as on Tech 2 , but it is more convenient to have the Tech2 menues on a 15" laptop then the 8" Tech2 screen(think it is 8") . You can use both Tech2 and Tech2win with VCXNANO as passthrough devices if you need to reprogram the PCM on your C5 .
You must get a ACDELCO subscription and pay a smaller fee and download the files using your browser and the Tech2/VCXNANO as passthrough device .
I have not done this myself yet but I have a spare PCM and intend to try this out later this winter .
Sounds like another option to HPTuners software if you can remap ecu’s etc, keep posted when you’ve had ago at the spare ecu👍🏻

craigyboy

CCCUK Member
You cannot reprogram anything with a TECH2, it’s purely a scanner that GM technicians used whilst servicing, the only reason you would need one on a C5 would be if you was doing a brake fluid change and needed to cycle the ABS pump etc, I bought a knock off TECH2 for about $350.
To re program ECU/BCM you would need tuning software like HPTuners.
you can reprogram things using a TECH2 you need TIS2000 installed on a laptop

oelarse

Well-known user
you can reprogram things using a TECH2 you need TIS2000 installed on a laptop

That's correct .
I have installed TIS2000 in a virtual win 7 (32bit) and have been able to view the the calibration files using the my Tech2 connected to my laptop with this USB serial adapter .

Have been able to upload snaphots(small logging file collected in the Tech2) from the Tech2 into TIS2000 in my virtual pc .
But I not tried to program my spare ECU yet , but will try to check this out later .

oelarse

Well-known user
I tried to download from ACDELCO using TIS2WEB but it failed . I had to use my Autel J2534 with my win 10 Pro and a VPN account to be able to logon to the US Delco account
and reprogram my spare ECU using SPS .
I am not sure if the problem is that the Tech2 drivers from ACDELCO does not work with my China Tech2 clone ....