C6 TPMS Showing xxx on dash - Resolved

Andy76

Regular user
Hi Folks - quick question from a noob (or better put inexperienced owner)

Background - I bought the C6 (UK spec) 18 months ago. When it arrived battery was flat. Got all that sorted but dash shows all Tyre sensors as XXX. Having done lots of reading about resetting TPMS I've tried to reset with both strong magnet and also bought a tool ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072BK693N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) but still unable to programme them. I've been getting the car into programme mode (I think) using the buttons on key fob until horn sounds briefly but don't get any acknowledgment sounds when using the tool at the sensors.

With one thing and another I've hardly used the car since I got it so questions are,
1. What keeps the units in the wheels charged up to communicate with car and is lack of use my problem?
2. Do I need to get a few runs in to bring them back to life or are they all likely dud and need replaced?

I'm pretty sure I did get some sort of connection from one or two of the units after a few tens of miles last year but can recall what it said. Also car is kept on charger so battery condition is good.

Any advice appreciated
Andy

Stingray

CCCUK Member
First up - I don't have a C6 so can't answer specifically about your car.

* Corvette TPMS are powered by a battery within each TPMS sensor, inside your tyres.
* The batteries are supposed to last at least 10 years.
* European Corvettes differ from American market Corvettes in that the TPMS system and central locking systems operate on different frequencies between the two markets. Sometimes people buy and install new parts without realising this.

So, where does that leave you? Probably one (or more) of,
* No TPMS transmitters in the wheels.
* Wrong TPMS transmitters in the wheels.
* Flat batteries in the TPMS sensors in your wheels.
* Incorrect programming of the system.
* Fault at the receiving end of the system (which seems unlikely if your central locking works correctly).

Where are you based? The car probably needs to be looked at by someone familiar with C6. Could save you a world of pain.

Andy76

Regular user
I think the batteries in the TPMS sensors is probably my favourite bet at the moment. I will dig through the history file and see if they have ever been done. I'm thinking on changing tyres anyway so that would be the time I suppose.

It did pass MoT with them this way. I'm North Lanarkshire

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
What year C6 is it, that programmer only goes from 2010.
I would give it a run, see if any start to communicate.
Any tyre place would be able to change them as it's a Euro Spec car.
Just go to the tyre place and try and program one with it on top of the tyre, starting front right and going clockwise.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I think the batteries in the TPMS sensors is probably my favourite bet at the moment. I will dig through the history file and see if they have ever been done. I'm thinking on changing tyres anyway so that would be the time I suppose.

It did pass MoT with them this way. I'm North Lanarkshire
You may or may not find these links useful. On the face of things the batteries are not replaceable and customers should just replace the whole sensor. On the other hand there are DIY options. Note that C5 and C6 are broadly similar regarding TPMS,

As you have said, dealing with the issue at the same time as tyre replacement sounds sensible. I guess the car is old enough not to need TPMS working for an MOT pass - I think TPMS became compulsory around 2012.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Andy, PM me with your phone number if interested in above. Cheers

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member

Andy76

Regular user
Thanks guys
The procedure is the same as the one I followed which is why is suspect the batteries in the units. I think new units is the way to go when tyres are replaced later this year.

Chevrolet - will drop you a message

Will update once resolved albeit this will likely be a few months or at least once weather and road conditions improve

Andy

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Look at the valve stems of wheels as normally the stems are metal as they are the antenna
where non TPMS are all rubber.

TPMS uses the same controller as the FOB, if it works at least that says the controller is functional and talking to the BCM controller
Check to see if there are any error codes (DTC)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi Folks - quick question from a noob (or better put inexperienced owner)

Background - I bought the C6 (UK spec) 18 months ago. When it arrived battery was flat. Got all that sorted but dash shows all Tyre sensors as XXX. Having done lots of reading about resetting TPMS I've tried to reset with both strong magnet and also bought a tool ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072BK693N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 ) but still unable to programme them. I've been getting the car into programme mode (I think) using the buttons on key fob until horn sounds briefly but don't get any acknowledgment sounds when using the tool at the sensors.

With one thing and another I've hardly used the car since I got it so questions are,
1. What keeps the units in the wheels charged up to communicate with car and is lack of use my problem?
2. Do I need to get a few runs in to bring them back to life or are they all likely dud and need replaced?

I'm pretty sure I did get some sort of connection from one or two of the units after a few tens of miles last year but can recall what it said. Also car is kept on charger so battery condition is good.

Any advice appreciated
Andy

FYI, the Amazon URL you point to is an older model, you did not mention what year your Corvette is
what you bought shows ONLY tested 2010-2013 Model years and not sure if it supports both American and Europe frequency

c6tps.jpg
If you look at the American Amazon website, shows that same model but newer version up to 2022 MY

Newer model

Andy76

Regular user
Resolution reached.

After doing a couple of long runs the I tried pairing the TPMS units again with the car and the tool that I had bought. It took a few goes but they paired. Three weeks on having not used the car until today all sensors were working and life is good. So
1. It looks as though the units come to (or back to) life after some use
2. The tool I mentioned does work but it is a bit sporadic and does take a few attempts. Perseverance was the key (car is 2006 Z06)

The procedure I used for pairing was to set the car in accessory mode and then hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. I then went round each wheel with the setting tool starting at the drivers front. The procedure is on a few forums but here is a link to a post for ease

TPMS Easy Relearn Procedure - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Fortunately they were working as today I got an alarm and and when I checked the tyre I had a large bolt through a rear tyre. Sods law but at least I was warned and didn't destroy a wheel.

Hopefully above is of use to people in future and a few things to try out before writing off the sensors.