C8 Reveal

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
The 2020 Corvette, probably the most controversial ever, launches as the Corvette Stingray
No mention yet of Z06 etc [although rumours abound of twin turbos versions and a 1000hp 4wd hybrid!]
6.2 ltr, 490hp [495 with Z51]/470lbs-ft LT2 pushrod V8
8 speed Dual Clutch Transmission - no manual or torque converter auto
Claimed 0-60 of "around 3 secs" making it the fastest accelerating base model Corvette yet
Steering wheel flat at both top and bottom!
As much luggage space as the C7 with a rear trunk and a "frunk" in front....!
1,2 and 3LT specs for interior trim
Whole host of extras available including nose lift with GPS link with 1000 location memory so it can lift for speed bumps etc automatically
New Version of Magnetic Ride Control
Base car from $60k, [but not many likely to hit the road at that price...]
Deliveries start later this year
There WILL be a RHD version for the UK, Australasia and Asian markets

My initial personal view is that it looks a lot better than I thought it would with many nice details. I think a car specced how most people would want it will be considerably more than $60k, but we will see. Certainly going to be much less expensive than mid-engined rivals although the benchmark was apparently, once again, the 911. I look forward to independent tests now

More info here:

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
GM must be serious with this car if they intend to offer it in right hand drive. Which can only bode well for Club membership in the future(y)

Roscobbc

Have you looked at the 'reveal'? - what do you all think? - me? I think its its great - a natural progression from all the marques that precede it without loosing all of its 'DNA'
c8-corvette-official-1-1024x575.jpg
2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-rear-three-quarter.jpg

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Potentially great value compared with any competitors. 5" longer and 2" wider than C7 makes it bigger as well.

Now we just need Ian Allan to get one in! Sounds like it might take a while.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
As Ross has opined in the past, the mid-engine means you don't have to re-route the steering etc round the front engine. I expect we will feel like the Mustang folk did in that it "should" be LHD, but Ford wanted the sales and boy, did they get them. It seems to be wall-to-wall RHD Mustangs round my way. If the C8 sells in anything like the ratio of LHD to RHD Mustangs, we will see a lot more which may mean C8 values will hold with a knock-on to older models [possibly!!]

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Rick Corvette Conti has put up the full reveal on YouTube:

What a car/Fantastic!!

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Potentially great value compared with any competitors. 5" longer and 2" wider than C7 makes it bigger as well.

Now we just need Ian Allan to get one in! Sounds like it might take a while.
5" longer - amazing - the design of the car is such that you'd thing is was 5" shorter!

Roscobbc

As Ross has opined in the past, the mid-engine means you don't have to re-route the steering etc round the front engine. I expect we will feel like the Mustang folk did in that it "should" be LHD, but Ford wanted the sales and boy, did they get them. It seems to be wall-to-wall RHD Mustangs round my way. If the C8 sells in anything like the ratio of LHD to RHD Mustangs, we will see a lot more which may mean C8 values will hold with a knock-on to older models [possibly!!]
Following on from Ford's very subtle marketing campaign for the Mustang only a couple of years after introduction the UK base price of a Mustang V8 auto has risen by£8K -£10K over the introductory price.
Clever selling! - Establish the brand/model/customer desire with an 'affordable' starting price - once demand is established......... and then hike-up the price!
Expect to see the see the same thing with the C8 - an introductory price in USA set close to outgoing list price of C7 to encourage the naysayers and doubters to buy - get past the initial and inevitable teething and warranty problems of any radically changed product - achieve general customer acceptance and following increased demand add some low cost goodies to 'sweeten the pill' ........and.......hike the base price like our friends over there at FoMoCo have just done.
My guess is that the 'base' C8 introductory cars will be the only ones ever affordable for most enthusiasts. I'll predict that the 'base' 6.2 engine will be dropped in favour of newer and more efficient boosted engines at commensurately increased prices a couple of years after introduction.........and the C8 as we know it will gradually creep-up in price.
I doubt if we'll ever see what we would describe as an affordable C8 in the UK.

Carl

CCCUK Member
As expected it looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try one. BUT they’ve had to spoil things by making it in RHD configuration :( that was half the appeal.
Made enquiries with Ian Allan today. They are taking build slot deposits but don’t expect to see one until 2021 o_O
How much are flights to the US?

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
The present 6.2 litre engine can't be sold after August because it doesn't comply with EU emissions. So what have GM done to the C8 engine to sort the problem?

Roscobbc

Probably nothing other than adapting it for mid engine use I'd guess - remembering it's a USA market vehicle so perhaps unlikely to initially be marketed in Europe (where all the UK destined cars have been sourced from to date). What will be very interesting is what is needed to do to make it EU/UK compliant.

Last edited:

UKBeancounter

Committee Member
I have always admired all generations of Corvettes for their distinctive looks. The new C8 carries on that tradition. With as much luggage space for Le Mans trips as the C7, assuming you hack your suitcase in half and put part at the front. I do like it in this colour scheme.
2D35E456-CB45-43A0-A38B-2B771281F7BC.jpeg
Not so fussed on the new emblem though, looks like a copy of another manufacturer.
😀

PhilV8

CCCUK Member
As expected it looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try one. BUT they’ve had to spoil things by making it in RHD configuration :( that was half the appeal.
Made enquiries with Ian Allan today. They are taking build slot deposits but don’t expect to see one until 2021 o_O
How much are flights to the US?
Yes it always seems odd having an American car with RHD, but I guess if you want to crack a new market like Australia where LHD is banned it makes sense if it's an easy conversion. There will be folk in this country as well that are put off by the LHD.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Following on from Ford's very subtle marketing campaign for the Mustang only a couple of years after introduction the UK base price of a Mustang V8 auto has risen by£8K -£10K over the introductory price.
Clever selling! - Establish the brand/model/customer desire with an 'affordable' starting price - once demand is established......... and then hike-up the price!
Expect to see the see the same thing with the C8 - an introductory price in USA set close to outgoing list price of C7 to encourage the naysayers and doubters to buy - get past the initial and inevitable teething and warranty problems of any radically changed product - achieve general customer acceptance and following increased demand add some low cost goodies to 'sweeten the pill' ........and.......hike the base price like our friends over there at FoMoCo have just done.

Out of interest your post made me cost the current equivalent of my 2016 convertible auto Mustang GT with custom pack. In round figures my car cost £43k; the nearest equivalent spec in 2019 - with a few minor goodies - is £51k. A fair hike in three years! I guess you are right, a RHD 'Vette at an attractive price will almost certainly attract a previously untapped market but how long will that price remain attractive.

When the S550 'Stang arrived it was certainly a very cheap and aggressively styled 400+ HP four seat performance car compared with the domestic and euro equivalents. I guess the gap is narrowing.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
You've absolutely nailed it,Bud,late model RHD Mustangs are as common as Mondeo's around Lincolnshire and Tatton Park Stars and Stripes was full of them.I didn't buy a Corvette to be part of a crowd and if that happens with the C8,I for one will be pulling the plug and putting all my money into Ducati's.

Rich

Administrator
You've absolutely nailed it,Bud,late model RHD Mustangs are as common as Mondeo's around Lincolnshire and Tatton Park Stars and Stripes was full of them.I didn't buy a Corvette to be part of a crowd and if that happens with the C8,I for one will be pulling the plug and putting all my money into Ducati's.
I think I've spotted a Seattle Seahawks fan. Me too. Saw them at the CenturyLink Field Stadium last year.

Seahawk 80

Regular user
I think I've spotted a Seattle Seahawks fan. Me too. Saw them at the CenturyLink Field Stadium last year.
You better your bottom dollar,we are 12 and we are many,I've been following them since 1984 so I'm not a new "fan boy",but since Pete Carroll took over it's gone beyond my wildest dreams,I was at "Qwest Field" as it was known then in 2010 when Pete had just took over the head coach roll,I could see he had a glint in his eye and soon we knew why!. Washington State is a beautiful place.....well most of it,I saw my one and only sighting of a gun metal C6 ZR1 whilst I was in Seattle,fantastic,and never forget "Russ IS the man!"