car covers/storage options

memphisblue

CCCUK Member
Hi all,
i am awaiting the delivery of my 68 and i do have access to a garage (not at my address) but does anyone have any experience of using covers/foldover fabric garages/other options, also what are the best car covers for the corvette? appreciate any advice given.
thanks

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Mephis, Rather than repeat an aweful lot of what has been posted recently on the Forum about storage that was started off by GCorvette , have a trawl through the threads in C3 section . A lot of the guys gave advice / opinions on various covers and storage methods . As you do have access to a garage not at your address , if it is not so far from home as to be a real pain my advise would be store it there . Having a 68 vette stored outdoors under a cover long term won`t do it any good at all :cautious: . It will also go down well with your insurers too as they will no doubt stipulate the car should be in a secure place overnight except when in use on a journey . I rent secure storage a few miles from home and my insurer is happy with that and is recorded on the policy .
Hope you enjoy your new toy , I can almost feel the excitement from here ! 😃

memphisblue

CCCUK Member
thank you i will go through the forum, yes im quite excited, im 56 and wanted one since i started driving !! but kids/wife got in the way, now kids have flown the nest and i have traded the wife for a more pro-corvette model, happy days :LOL:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
thank you i will go through the forum, yes im quite excited, im 56 and wanted one since i started driving !! but kids/wife got in the way, now kids have flown the nest and i have traded the wife for a more pro-corvette model, happy days :LOL:
Totally identify with that Memphis , we clearly have parallel lives :D (y)

antijam

CCCUK Member
I was 77 before I realised that if I was ever going to satisfy the C3 itch before the grim reaper showed up, I'd better get my finger out. Despite the vagaries of owning a 50 year old car, my '71 'vert scratched exactly the right spot.

You can look forward to some real motoring fun Memphis - Good Luck.

Roscobbc

Fella's - I was 70 this year and while at times I can't really be ass'd to take the C3 out on the congested London suburban roads a lot of the time let alone break though the M25's stranglehold..........I have had issues recently trying to set timing-up following a oil pump replacement. Initial advance on the 489 really needs to be 21/22 degrees (with 16/18 degrees in the dizzy) - however the new starter motor and perfectly good battery at times 'disagree' especially when the engine is hot. However yesterday evening I thought it was time to try the new vacuum gauge out and 'tune' the idle mixture 'old school' style (as an alternative to 'by ear') - with a idle vacuum of 14.5 it was a doddle. Haven't used the car properly since earlier last year and a local run of a few miles 'around town' around to warm it through and check things out was a pleasure on much a mild day - the day wasn't even spoilt pulling in to my garage the temperature gauge started heading towards 225 degrees, things were getting a little 'smelly' and coolant was leaking out under pressure from the water pump to block joint. One of the water pump to block gaskets had partly dissolved and popped-out under pressure (at least this happened 'at home' rather than on a run somewhere - so in a way really pleased).

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
i have traded the wife for a more pro-corvette model, happy days :LOL:
I did similar too. Ex-wife and I split up, and one of the first things I did was look around for some old cars to play with. Collected a few, including my 1968 Corvette. Love it to bits. Then I met my now current wife shortly after buying the C3, and she loves it to the point that whenever I suggest selling it she tells me never to sell it and would probably ditch me first before the car LOL.

Anyway, as to the C3 and dry storage - I used to have a lovely garage at MY house before meeting my new wife. I moved in with her, and there wasn't a garage available there. So I contacted the local council and asked about any of their garages that might be available to rent. They did have some. Granted its about 1/2 a mile from the house, and the garage is so tiny that the C3 takes up all the room, and I had to "modify" the garage door opening area as it was a few CMs smaller than the C3's width. But hey, its a garage, it stays dry and out of the watchful eyes of everyone else. Much better than outdoor car covers as they always leak and blow around in the wind. I used one on the C3 for a bit, but its not great.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Fella's - I was 70 this year
I didn't know Ross - congrats. And I have extra respect now for you for driving such a hugely powerful car with manual (aka non-power) brakes on it. From a fellow 1968 C3 owner that USED to have manual brakes (retrofitted power brakes) on my mere small block C3, I know the pain of using those brakes - and I was only 40 when I had the power brake conversion done ! :O

Roscobbc

It is said that age shows itself when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night. Likewise with the cars and other physical duties - it takes all month to do what you'd probably do over a weekend........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
It is said that age shows itself when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night. Likewise with the cars and other physical duties - it takes all month to do what you'd probably do over a weekend........

I can`t even remember what I used to do all night 😪
And is that why it me most of yesterday to fit new plug leads on the C3 and had mega back ache afterwards ☹